Cultivated Reef

Kat's Birthday Party

metrokat

So one peppermint shrimp is hiding under the zoa rock, the other is behind the structure on the right. They both have not come out of hiding for 2 weeks now. WTF.

Looks legit Kat!!! Might need another frag of the Kat one day, unless I can get one from Rodger.

Thank you!!! Roger has a big colony. It's actually I think the only acro left in his tank.

It's a busy tank! And they really roam during the night, too. Have you tried stalking with a red flashlight?

When I used to stay up and check on mine, they saw me anyway :angry:

It's a busy tank! And they really roam during the night, too. Have you tried stalking with a red flashlight?

When I used to stay up and check on mine, they saw me anyway :angry:

It's not about them roaming. The aiptasia are still there, that is what they were brought in for.

Mine do their foraging (and aiptasia eating) at night, but will happily come out and join the party if there's food during the day. Otherwise they're hiding under/behind the rockwork.

From what I've read, they're quicker at it if they're hungry. Not sure your tank is the kind of place where a peppermint shrimp can really get 'hungry', though, so they may end up being slower at solving the aiptasia issue :P

• Like 1

So, couldn't find my reversing ring, and had to order one. I'll post some shots with the 50mm reversed when I get it later this week.

In the meantime, a quick write-up.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/376088-macro-photography-gear-on-the-cheap-stretching-your-budget/

Thank you! I have to run out the door right now but I will read through when I am back.

Dr.Brain Coral

Seeing your tank on Instagram everyday makes me so jealous I don't have a tank yet. Hey if I ever reach the point I can afford it (If I get this new job I could) at least I will have three years of collecting knowledge to help me lol

• Like 3

I bet if you carefully replace the sandbed you can feed more without parameter issues. Another interesting thing to try would be to simply place new sand in containers in the sump to help absorb stuff.

I would also consider dosing lanthalum (whatever it's called) daily to help keep PO4 low. Dosing PhosphateRx has done wonders for my tank. 3 drops a day, first sump chamber, I'm sure some precipitate gets into the tank but nothing is bothered by it.

Just throwing out ideas, and I don't think you even need ideas. :)

• Like 2

I bet if you carefully replace the sandbed you can feed more without parameter issues. Another interesting thing to try would be to simply place new sand in containers in the sump to help absorb stuff.

I would also consider dosing lanthalum (whatever it's called) daily to help keep PO4 low. Dosing PhosphateRx has done wonders for my tank. 3 drops a day, first sump chamber, I'm sure some precipitate gets into the tank but nothing is bothered by it.

Just throwing out ideas, and I don't think you even need ideas. :)

The levels are good, (should test today before saying that right) and the tank looks healthy to me. I've always run high levels but they were unusually high for various reasons and that combined with a high salinity put it over the edge so it took 4 weeks to bounce back. I did use Phosphate RX for the PO4 back when it was very high. Xport-PO4 has been keeping it where it needs to be. In my reactor. now I only run carbon, and a very small amount of it.

• Like 1

Hey Kat,

That Katrapora color is stunning. Love the contrast of color on that coral. Nice to see your tank progressing very well.

P.S. I demand moar pics!

Hey Snow! Nice to see you back. I was checking your new tank plans. I'm happy you are back on your feet and things are better.

• Like 1
Snow_Phoenix

Hey Snow! Nice to see you back. I was checking your new tank plans. I'm happy you are back on your feet and things are better.

Thank you, Kat. As always, I'm a magnet for fish trouble. I just had to demote my new bicolor blenny to a betta jar since he ripped off the legs of my new Pistol. Someone is getting deported back to the store soon. <_<

And thank you. I'm feeling much better - and most of all, healing up very well. :)

• Like 1