Top Shelf Aquatics

Kat's Birthday Party

metrokat

jedimasterben

I am very surprised to read reefers use RODI water that is not 0 TDS for mixing sand!

I only use RODI for water changes, ripoffs are done with RO only. TDS is 3.

Go argue with me in that LED thread, punk. ;)

I'll be there in a minute, dear :D

You have to realize, I'm on a well, so 5-800 going into the 4 stage pre-filtre. 20m-5m-.5m-carbon bock dual RO/DI-phosguard and carbon. Input pressure is about as stable as Charles Manson on crack, 60-90psi. The 20 and 5 micron are changed monthly, they look like turds when I pull them. Shallow wells FTMFL!!

• Like 2

You have to realize, I'm on a well, so 5-800 going into the 4 stage pre-filtre. 20m-5m-.5m-carbon bock dual RO/DI-phosguard and carbon. Input pressure is about as stable as Charles Manson on crack, 60-90psi. The 20 and 5 micron are changed monthly, they look like turds when I pull them. Shallow wells FTMFL!!

Ah, yea, no idea what kind of jazz is going into that. Hey, as long as it tastes good .....

jedimasterben

I'm on a well, as well (get it? :D) with around 350 TDS and lots of CO2. If you don't have a booster pump before the membrane, then your pressure likely isn't over 50-60 going into the system, most shallow well pumps are only capable of 45-50 before they taper off, but there are some higher pressure ones but they're less common and quite a bit more expensive.

Your well does seem like it is high in sediment if they look that bad after only a month. I would highly suggest getting a Big Blue 20" filter and put in a 50/5 gradient sediment filter if you don't already have one. This will actually help for more than just your tank water, too :)

But I like getting lead in my pencil!!! If it rains, it's bad, I might as well figure on filtre changes in a week, the well is only 40' deep.

My dad has some sort of house filtre, I'll have to see what he has. Our water is so damn hard that it'll break glass if your not careful. I can grow African cichlids like nobody's business same with live bearers. You also have to realize that that RO/DI runs 24/7/365.

Mama is sick :(

I don't know how a spawning fish which is supposed to be in the best health can get sick.

Her latest clutch is so fresh it's still orange.

I don't know what parasite this is. Please help :(

She has bumps on both sides of her body and a patch on one side.

Bump on right side

29103915702_7ec70e0d12_k.jpg

Patch below her dorsal fin

29103915962_23709f6ab3_k.jpg

Bump on left side on the tail

29177449636_90754505e1_k.jpg

29177450146_57a305e0fd_k.jpg

:(

No other fish is sick

She's not flashing, she is also eating.

Could it be a sting from something Kat? The two white spots kinda look like bite marks.

I don't know if the tang used her switch blades on mama. Tang has been swimming really really close to the nesting area. And she's a jerk too.

• Like 1

I don't know if the tang used her switch blades on mama. Tang has been swimming really really close to the nesting area. And she's a jerk too.

That's possible. Mama would try to defend the clutch and the tang would definitely fight back. I only say bite marks as I saw my Kole Tang and Melanurus Wrasse going at it last night. The wrasse left one mark on the tang that looks pretty much identical. Guess I need to get rid of my feeding tube and thaw feed again, having so many fish in such a small part of the tank causes aggression.

If it gets worse I'd recommend putting her in QT, possibly with the male also to reduce stress. Do you use any garlic with your feeding as an immunity booster?

If it gets worse I'd recommend putting her in QT, possibly with the male also to reduce stress. Do you use any garlic with your feeding as an immunity booster?

I do. not all the time but yes I do. Also vitamin C.

• Like 1

I do. not all the time but yes I do. Also vitamin C.

Looks like you are on top of the preventatives then. Maybe use the boosters over a few days and try to target feed her to make sure she gets some of that food.

• Like 1

Mama got into a fight and probably won, look for what fish cowers from her. You should have seen the huge sting the Foxface gave my girl clown, a huge ugly pox mark that took a week to heal. The Foxface avoids the clown now. In the years I've had my clown she's had just about everything and seemed, at worst, mildly annoyed.

• Like 4

That's good :), hopefully the marks go away on their own. I'm in a similar boat at the moment with my Kole Tang. A mark has developed along its belly, looks like a graze from the rock due to how it sleeps, it has me slightly concerned. The silly thing won't eat Nori though so I am soaking algae wafers in a garlic/water solution for it.

• Like 1

Mama got into a fight and probably won, look for what fish cowers from her. You should have seen the huge sting the Foxface gave my girl clown, a huge ugly pox mark that took a week to heal. The Foxface avoids the clown now. In the years I've had my clown she's had just about everything and seemed, at worst, mildly annoyed.

Has to be the tang who is even now charging at the parents. :o

I mean she is literally IN their business.

• Like 1

Well, I think you know why she has those marks now then I guess lol. Maybe put a mirror up against the tank on the opposite end from the clowns? The Tang may start attacking its own reflection, mine definitely seems to enjoy trying to beat itself up.

• Like 2

Has to be the tang who is even now charging at the parents. :o

I mean she is literally IN their business.

I take out my jaws of life when the yellow tang acts up. The bastard still remembers what I did with that stick. You may have to remove the tang, once they start it can be brutal. I had no idea how aggressive yellows can be and lucked out that my fish assortment keeps min in check. Mama clown was able to take a bite out of him early which seemed to end the aggression but I really don't know if it's done for good or just for a while. When the tang goes up near the eggs other fish tend to follow and mama flips out, scares the hell out of a few smaller fish which scares the hell out of the larger fish and everyone dives for cover. It's quite amusing to watch.

• Like 2