Innovative Marine Aquariums

Kat's Birthday Party

metrokat

Didn't know ORA stopped selling it. They are gorgeous corals, I have a frag of it and it does truly glow! I think LA has their own re-branded version of it too.

• Like 1

ORA Kelly green psammacora. It's exceptionally bright green. That is a low light picture. You can see this coral from across the room. It's rare too, ORA doesn't sell it anymore.

I've still got a colony from the frag you gave me. But alas, I have no camera lens to take a picture of it with :P It's very much more encrusting than vertical growing in my tank though.

• Like 1

I've still got a colony from the frag you gave me. But alas, I have no camera lens to take a picture of it with :P It's very much more encrusting than vertical growing in my tank though.

:blush:

I'm not keeping your lens - I swear! Anytime you say I will send it back.

This is how bright this coral is IRL

28722349142_b07dc7203e_k.jpg

27655330565_403f5045fe_k.jpg

• Like 9

:blush:

I'm not keeping your lens - I swear! Anytime you say I will send it back.

I know. :) I need to get the last bit of algae out of my tank so I feel like taking pictures again then I'll be asking for it back.

SAVE THEM!

Not possible in a community tank especially when they lay on the back glass. If it was in a spawning pot or on a tile and I was inclined to have 5-10 tanks for rearing them through various stages - maybe. But I'm not inclined so free food they are.

• Like 3

Not possible in a community tank especially when they lay on the back glass. If it was in a spawning pot or on a tile and I was inclined to have 5-10 tanks for rearing them through various stages - maybe. But I'm not inclined so free food they are.

My clowns have literally been spawning for years, I've thought about trying to raise them a time or two, but just too much trouble. So I let nature takes it's course instead.
  • Like 1
JavaJacketOC

60661954.jpg

• Like 2

Actually it is possible. The pair of Rod's onyxes that I currently own were pulled out of a community tank via the use of a kressler larvae collector ~9 months ago.

onyxes_lovespawn_072716.jpg

• Like 2

Actually it is possible. The pair of Rod's onyxes that I currently own were pulled out of a community tank via the use of a kressler larvae collector ~9 months ago.

Cool. Are they hosting a frogspawn?

You said you feed corals daily? What do you feed?

The Q is what don't I feed? :D

So before I list the foods let me explain my reasoning behind the foods I choose to feed my corals.

My tank is SPS dominant. I have equal number of LPS, and polyps but by mass the SPS is more.

SPS polyps are very small, they cannot ingest big particles of foods like mysis for example. For the small polyps corals I feed powdered food or liquid food, can also be considered planktonic foods, (which anthias also love BTW). Examples are reef roids, Brightwell Reef Blizzards, Golden pearls 0.05 micron food, decapped brine shrimp eggs, phytoplankton, TLF zooplankton, Continuum Microvert.

The same foods plus very small pellets work for my LPS also. I also randomly throw in rotifers (either live or frozen), Dr G's LPS food which even the fish love, Dr G's Caviar which is fish roe.

60661954.jpg

:slap::D

I think the fish eating the free live food disagree, lol.

Thank you Teeny. :D

Cute picture. But I'm not buying into your cute story. Never mind the logistics of trying to raise clownfish (space, multiple tanks for rearing, cultivating food sources etc) - The easy availability of aquacultured clownfish means I probably couldn't give my my clownfish babies away for free. If they were designer I could.

Nah, the frogspawn's hosting them :P

^^ this.

• Like 7

Haha, I thought so as well, until I went and saw the breeder's setup (D-Nak on RC) and his onyxes are the only ones from his 5 pairs of breeders that isn't isolated. They're in his 120g tank along with the rest of his community. The other four pairs are in 20 gallon tanks by themselves. He uses the AP breed rotifer setup and has 2 tanks for the babies. One dedicated tank just for the clownfish to settle (another 20g) and then the other tank that he just recently upgraded to with all his carpet 'nems and ritteri with the babies that he's currently selling.

I've also seen Rich's (Ross) setup and it was pretty simple as well. He was breeding some common clowns and using the culls to feed his soapfish. :lol: This reminds me that I need to stop by for a visit with him soon after he gets back from his coral orgy.

• Like 1

Haha, I thought so as well, until I went and saw the breeder's setup (D-Nak on RC) and his onyxes are the only ones from his 5 pairs of breeders that isn't isolated. They're in his 120g tank along with the rest of his community. The other four pairs are in 20 gallon tanks by themselves. He uses the AP breed rotifer setup and has 2 tanks for the babies. One dedicated tank just for the clownfish to settle (another 20g) and then the other tank that he just recently upgraded to with all his carpet 'nems and ritteri with the babies that he's currently selling.

I've also seen Rich's (Ross) setup and it was pretty simple as well. He was breeding some common clowns and using the culls to feed his soapfish. :lol: This reminds me that I need to stop by for a visit with him soon after he gets back from his coral orgy.

I'll be meeting him at MACNA, I can't wait. I was to do a podcast with him last year but it did not materialize. We were going to do it at about this time from his field trip for the coral spawning. Would have been amazing. Tell him Metrokat said hello.

Changed the DI resin in my RODI, beat the sediment filter till it was cleaner. I should order a set of everything. I had a silica buster DI resin but I'm not sure when it may have been used up. I bought it in January. My TDS is zero. But I have diatoms.

Changed my carbon yesterday.

Phosphates are testing at between 0.04 and 0.08 - perfect.

Nitrates are 0.50 - perfect.

Cal/Alk/Mg need some work. Alk is high, the other 2 are low.

I'm getting very tired of BRS 2 part supplements not mixing the same way each time.

• Like 5