Pod Your Reef

Kat's Birthday Party

metrokat

I'd love to add more fish but I'm at infinity and beyond already. :D

I don't mind waiting. I feel more confident in buying from Live Aquaria or Unique vs a fresh shipment. But I can set up a QT no problem now. Just need to seed it to prevent ammonia

What is "unique" ?

JavaJacketOC

The vanderbuilts would be fun but I've heard from a few sources that they are very difficult to keep alive, susceptible to ich and velvet.

I would vote for the anthias if they've been in QT for 30+ days...I dunno what the deal is with anthias but seems like a 25% survival rate is the norm...which is sad because there are so many beautiful varieties.

I would vote for Assesors, gold is probably the easiest to get. I'm still waiting for another trio to hit divers den. They're usually a little small so I would worry about them in my tank but they'd probably be fine. I saw a 2" wild caught one at a LFS several months back...gorgeous.

Edit: Just saw these in DD...you might as well...can't get much better than these for 100.00

0808161-165t.jpg

• Like 2
StinkyBunny

They have a piss poor survival rate because they're treated like shit. I'd NEVER touch an Anthias that was anything but transshipped in. They can barely handle the 3 day clean out before shipping much less shit housing/feeding at a wholesaler. They need to be fed every few hours, even better hourly when they first arrive. I get them on pellets ASAP so I can put the feeder on the tank to get weight back on them. Same with the Vanderbilt's chromis, they ship pretty well, but they need to eat a metric shittonne to build their resistance back up. They need feeding every few hours, they won't tolerate a feeding in the am and one in the pm.

I've NEVER had a fish make it past 3 weeks from LA. I can transship anything in and have a great survival rate as long as they make it here alive.

What is "unique" ?

Unique corals.

The vanderbuilts would be fun but I've heard from a few sources that they are very difficult to keep alive, susceptible to ich and velvet.

I would vote for the anthias if they've been in QT for 30+ days...I dunno what the deal is with anthias but seems like a 25% survival rate is the norm...which is sad because there are so many beautiful varieties.

I would vote for Assesors, gold is probably the easiest to get. I'm still waiting for another trio to hit divers den. They're usually a little small so I would worry about them in my tank but they'd probably be fine. I saw a 2" wild caught one at a LFS several months back...gorgeous.

Edit: Just saw these in DD...you might as well...can't get much better than these for 100.00

0808161-165t.jpg

Unique has them for cheaper with only $19 shipping or free shipping if I have them ship it to their Manhattan store.

Even with the free shipping that Live Aquaria owes me, Unique is cheaper.

Also the last trio I got from DD died within 2 weeks and I had to prazi-pro my tank. :( I didn't have a QT at the time.

Can't get an assessor, I have a royal gramma.

They have a piss poor survival rate because they're treated like shit. I'd NEVER touch an Anthias that was anything but transshipped in. They can barely handle the 3 day clean out before shipping much less shit housing/feeding at a wholesaler. They need to be fed every few hours, even better hourly when they first arrive. I get them on pellets ASAP so I can put the feeder on the tank to get weight back on them. Same with the Vanderbilt's chromis, they ship pretty well, but they need to eat a metric shittonne to build their resistance back up. They need feeding every few hours, they won't tolerate a feeding in the am and one in the pm.

I've NEVER had a fish make it past 3 weeks from LA. I can transship anything in and have a great survival rate as long as they make it here alive.

I had problems with the LA anthias. But my first trio was from POTO. He's very good with his fish. My longspines were from him also. And a year and a half later I still have both those fish - if not all of them from the shipments.

• Like 2

Unique corals.

Unique has them for cheaper with only $19 shipping or free shipping if I have them ship it to their Manhattan store.

Even with the free shipping that Live Aquaria owes me, Unique is cheaper.

Also the last trio I got from DD died within 2 weeks and I had to prazi-pro my tank. :( I didn't have a QT at the time.

Can't get an assessor, I have a royal gramma.

I had problems with the LA anthias. But my first trio was from POTO. He's very good with his fish. My longspines were from him also. And a year and a half later I still have both those fish - if not all of them from the shipments.

I recently relocated to Manhattan, and I'm looking for good LFS etc, is unique open to the public?

I recently relocated to Manhattan, and I'm looking for good LFS etc, is unique open to the public?

Hi William! Be sure to join in on our fishy drinks get together. We usually meet in Times square.

Manhattan Aquariums is owned by Unique. They are undergoing renovation right now so their salt tanks are not up.

There is a store in the Bronx called Reef Shoppe. And a few really good ones in NJ if you are inclined to make the trip. I know several people from Manhattan that shop in NJ.

POTO is in Staten Island and by appointment only. You can see their offerings on their website. They aren't a store so it woul dbe best to ask them if what you want is in stock before making your appointment.

• Like 4

Hi William! Be sure to join in on our fishy drinks get together. We usually meet in Times square.

Manhattan Aquariums is owned by Unique. They are undergoing renovation right now so their salt tanks are not up.

There is a store in the Bronx called Reef Shoppe. And a few really good ones in NJ if you are inclined to make the trip. I know several people from Manhattan that shop in NJ.

POTO is in Staten Island and by appointment only. You can see their offerings on their website. They aren't a store so it woul dbe best to ask them if what you want is in stock before making your appointment.

What is POTO? And let me know the next time you grab drinks

• Like 1

All the cool kids are in NY/NJ apparently. :)

All the real cool kids are in NJ, NY is just there.... Lol

WHAAAAT! :wub:

Can you do NY?

Yea i can. As much as i dont wana ride on NJTransit.
  • Like 2