SaltCritters.com

Kat's Birthday Party

metrokat

I've been biting mah tongue as much as possible. Then again, my solution here would be to rotate sock holder 90deg clockwise and drop it down onto the baffle.

• Like 3
IMO the only place soft tubing has is a short length between a return pump and the hard plumbing up to the return, just for vibration dampening
my original plumbing map was all hard plumbed except the tubing to the reactors and from the pump like you suggested. But talking to Jeff at lifereef convinced me otherwise. I am happy with my choice of hard plumbed manifold with a soft plumbed section. But that elbow does bother me. Maybe ill just not look. :D

I've been biting mah tongue as much as possible. Then again, my solution here would be to rotate sock holder 90deg clockwise and drop it down onto the baffle.
an excellent solution and it might work, ill try it tomorrow, hopefully the skimmer allows the space.Also, don't bite your tongue. I'm interested in all opinions, I learn so much from each of you.

There are plenty of opinions, and more than one way to skin a cat. Your soft sections should be fine, just dont push the GPH as the barb adapters restrict flow some. the sock is my main worry, but just take into account it overflowing and if that can happen without a problem then carry on. I only run a sock 3 or 4 days a month, just to catch detritus I stir up on cleaning days, so like I said, there are many ways to get the job done EDIT: The funky 90 is on your return, so no worries with too much flow
So too much GPH isnt a worry then?My tanks are usually filthy, so filter socks are essential. You should see the detritus in my RSM sump even though I use socks.
  • Like 1

I lurk pretty much every thread on this site but rarely post in most of them. My ways and opinions tend to be very basic, old school, and outdated. So I just sit back and enjoy the show(s). :)

• Like 4

So too much GPH isnt a worry then? My tanks are usually filthy, so filter socks are essential. You should see the detritus in my RSM sump even though I use socks.

So clean up your act and quit using the bandaid sock all it is doing is sucking up food that could go to your corals or doesn't need to be fed anyway. Boom problem solved no more need for a sock.

Silly kids, socks belong on your feet not in your reef.

So clean up your act and quit using the bandaid sock all it is doing is sucking up food that could go to your corals or doesn't need to be fed anyway. Boom problem solved no more need for a sock.

Silly kids, socks belong on your feet not in your reef.

Ha.

Though I slightly disagree that socks aren't ever useful. As others have said its nice to be able to catch the detritus when stirring it up to clean. That said using them 100% of the time probably isn't terribly great for a few reasons.

Ha.

Though I slightly disagree that socks aren't ever useful. As others have said its nice to be able to catch the detritus when stirring it up to clean. That said using them 100% of the time probably isn't terribly great for a few reasons.

I didn't say they weren't useful... they are useful at sucking up stuff and leaving it there to rot and then overflow back into your tank anyways when you forget to clean them regularly :lol:

• Like 1

I didn't say they weren't useful... they are useful at sucking up stuff and leaving it there to rot and then overflow back into your tank anyways when you forget to clean them regularly :lol:

Which are the problems I hinted at :P

Really I view mechanical filtration as something to be done as needed and quickly dealt with.

• Like 1

Which are the problems I hinted at :P

Really I view mechanical filtration as something to be done as needed and quickly dealt with.

I'm not a fan of bush so I don't beat around it :lol:

• Like 1

If measured properly it wouldn't add any stress to the bulkhead imo.

Correct if it was perfectly measured, but clearly this one wasn't perfectly measured....

The alternative is the stuff just rots in a corner of your tank instead and is never removed. I'd rather have stuff rotting in my sock for a week than rotting in the corner of my sump forever.

nano-reef combined posts Chris, didn't mean for you to ninja you like that. :(

• Like 1

I can only comment on my 'need' for socks. It is absolutely essential in my system. I will not feed less, I will not change my husbandry till my tank tells me to.

Correct if it was perfectly measured, but clearly this one wasn't perfectly measured....

:blush: well this one can be corrected. The angle is good now for one small piece of PVC between the ball valve and the elbow. The hose stays between the bulkhead and the elbow.

...but good news for cable tie manufacturers ;)

:slap:

The alternative is the stuff just rots in a corner of your tank instead and is never removed. I'd rather have stuff rotting in my sock for a week than rotting in the corner of my sump forever.

Or place a small power head in your sump to keep things suspended for your skimmer to suck up? Siphon your sump during regular water changes? Not using filter socks certainly does not condemn your tank to rotting detritus forever.

• Like 1

Not really, as mentioned you can place a powerhead in the sump to keep things suspended for the skimmer to have a better chance at pulling it out or siphon it out like people do with bare bottom tanks....

Siphons only work if the place you're siphoning from is above the place you're siphoning to ;)

True, kinda..... but I start my siphon from the DT, close it off so it holds siphon and restart it in the sump ;) When I do WC's 90% of the time I only remove water from my sump.

51 pages already! yikes.....All this plumbing talk keeps me :ninja:

I love my constant filter sock changed weekly, I have soft-plumbed the ENTIRE return before (up and over back and used the hole in the overflow as emergency drain), and I hope you get that sock holder down an inch as it is just to high for my comfort level.

• Like 1

What's the lineage on that GSP?

Or place a small power head in your sump to keep things suspended for your skimmer to suck up? Siphon your sump during regular water changes? Not using filter socks certainly does not condemn your tank to rotting detritus forever.

For me at least, I'm much more likely to change my filter sock than the siphon detritus out of my sump. So yes, in either case it will get out eventually, but it'll be a lot longer in my tank.

Which might be better square filter sock or long ones, they're both drawstring

maO8f0co1n_vAiO51RTBcbg.jpgmBJm_ndOchiWRtZ5gJzQEKQ.jpg

What's the lineage on that GSP?

That's been living with me for 4 years, got it in the mail from an NR member, it completely rotted in shipping, stank up my place. And one, ONE polyp survived.

IMG_3389.JPG

The GSP you gave me is awaiting transfer

• Like 1

That's been living with me for 4 years, got it in the mail from an NR member, it completely rotted in shipping, stank up my place. And one, ONE polyp survived.

Lived... or came back to life? Zombie GSP!

• Like 3

The felt filter socks clog easily and need changed more frequently. Stick with the drawstring micron mesh ones imo unless you want to use a felt one to catch stuff when you stir up the tank then remove it once the water has been polished a bit.