ReefCleaners.org

Kat's Birthday Party

metrokat

I think Chris is trying to explain that the skimmer has a setting that can be adjusted to the amount of water (wet or dry skimming) it pushes toward the collection cup. It would probably be best to leave it on the neutral setting (in the middle between wet and dry) and let it run for a good week or two. Then you change the settings to your liking.

Good Luck!

I'm asking what you mean in that statement, not to explain everything. This isn't my first skimmer, but no worries I have appreciated your help.

• Like 1

No it's not shut, blue dot on the pipe is on "max". Max has the lowest flow level. "Min" has the highest. Skimmer is confused.

Max is not 0... Min is 0.

Max = wedge pipe most open

Min = wedge pipe most closed.

After closely examining your pic of the skimmer.... You are the confused and confusing one as you said you had it on 0 (which would be min) which is closed.... aka forcing all the flow through the skimmer cup. But it is running wide open which is fine if it is pouring through, which it shouldn't be doing by now none of mine have ever taken more then a couple hrs to settle down and "break in".... especially if you gave it another vinegar bath which I would have done. I prefer to break it in in at 3 as it is around the level it should be set when it is broken in anyways.

Also, straighten the rubber air line above the arm that holds the wedge pipe (pull it down). IME its better to have the bend spread out more in the longer length below the arm then the shorter span above it and is a little less restrictive (allows best air flow). I know it doesn't seem like it would make a difference but IME it has.

So if she has it set to MAX then the wedge pipe is all the way open (lowest flow amount through outlet) therefore more water going into the skimmer. With that being said, if the pipe is all the way opened it shouldn't be puking water out of the cup, unless it's in too deep of water. Am I right or is it late and just rambling nonsense?

So if she has it set to MAX then the wedge pipe is all the way open (lowest flow amount through outlet) therefore more water going into the skimmer. With that being said, if the pipe is all the way opened it shouldn't be puking water out of the cup, unless it's in too deep of water. Am I right or is it late and just rambling nonsense?

No your thinking backwards, much like she was explaining it.... with it on max the wedge is wide open meaning most flow through the drain (which is the wedge tube). Min (0) = closed wedge which is most through the skimmer as it closes the wedge.

Looking very closely at her pic as long as she didn't change it the skimmer is set to max (which would basically be 6, not 0) so the wedge is fully open.

• Like 1

Yeah idk why I said "So if she has it set to MAX then the wedge pipe is all the way open (lowest flow amount through outlet) therefore more water going into the skimmer", because that doesn't make sense. Obviously with the wedge pipe all the way open there will be less water going into the skimmer. But still, if the wedge pipe is all the way open then it shouldn't be overflowing like that.

• Like 1

Yeah idk why I said "So if she has it set to MAX then the wedge pipe is all the way open (lowest flow amount through outlet) therefore more water going into the skimmer", because that doesn't make sense. Obviously with the wedge pipe all the way open there will be less water going into the skimmer.

;)

But still, if the wedge pipe is all the way open then it shouldn't be overflowing like that.

I have had it do it for a couple hours initially even after 24hr vinegar baths with all 4 of mine.... but it always settles down within an hr or two max after firing them up. Then they are fully broken in and run like a champ afterwards.

This might sound crazy but, I know when my salinity was lower, around 1.020 the skimmer would act something like that.

Crazier things have happened lol Who knows what her salinity is tho, I mean she did mix double salt trying to cheat the system like it was saving time or something :wacko:

I found an otter to help you...

ixLxhfLh.png

I love otters. Chest deep in a river fly fishing, I had a big river otter scare the crap out of me. I think it thought I was there for his entertainmet.

BTW, Kat I love your new build

• Like 1

This year I am thankful for the privilege of so many friends and helpful people on this forum. For the opportunity to learn and communicate with people all over the world that share the same passion for this hobby.

For an opportunity to do things wrong and have the help to correct it. Even virtually. For the heartache that comes with failure in this hobby that makes every success tenfold joyful.

I am thankful for a new tank that is truly a beauty, even with wires sticking out and nothing in it. I can envision what it will be - a source of unending wonder.

I wish you and yours a wonderful celebration of all that you have to be Thankful for.

Happy Thanksgiving.

turkey-cat-4.jpg

Happy 15th Birthday to my kitty kat Bogi. We brought him home from the shelter on Thanksgiving 15 years ago.

Bogi.jpg

BTW, Kat I love your new build

Thank you. :)

• Like 7