inTank Media Baskets

Kat's Birthday Party

metrokat

Good morning, operation fill 'er up is in progress. No more leaking bulkheads.

egyptian.gif

The weight of the water so far (tank is 3/4 full ATM) the later level is 1/8" higher on one side.

I probably need double shims, but I'm not comfortable with double shims.

• Like 5

This is my first rimless. The water level from the top is 1/2"+1/8" so what is that 0.625inches.

Is it supposed to be that high? Makes me nervous.

20141124_093441.jpg

Also, with the overflow on the side that has the higher water level, the difference of 1/8" in the waterline is now down to 1/16".

:)

• Like 1

Ya the water level will be just above the lowest part of the teeth on your overflow to allow water in the overflow box. Looks good to me!!! :)

The lowest part of the teeth is 1/2" lower that the water height. It should be lower I think.

This is my first rimless. The water level from the top is 1/2"+1/8" so what is that 0.625inches.

Is it supposed to be that high? Makes me nervous.

20141124_093441.jpg

Also, with the overflow on the side that has the higher water level, the difference of 1/8" in the waterline is now down to 1/16".

:)

5/8 ;)
  • Like 1

Carefully take a dremel to the teeth and make them deeper? Dont worry about the leveling, 1/16th of an inch isnt going to do much, mines off by more than that.

I would if I had faith in my dremel skills. A botched job will directly affect the cosmetic appeal of the overflow. Can't risk that. The high level can be addressed by reducing the return pump output. I had the DC6000 turned all the way up and was controlling it with the ball valve. I just need to make sure the flow isn't compromised significantly when I do that.

If the flow threw your tank and into your sump is high then the water level in the tank will be higher. I have the reef octopus Diablo 5500 return and I have it on the 2nd to lowest setting out of 6. The pump is probably too powerful for my tank. If I leave it on the lowest setting the water level drops a bit more.

• Like 1

If the flow threw your tank and into your sump is high then the water level in the tank will be higher. I have the reef octopus Diablo 5500 return and I have it on the 2nd to lowest setting out of 6. The pump is probably too powerful for my tank. If I leave it on the lowest setting the water level drops a bit more.

I understand that. I guess the worry here is that the drain is not commensurate with the return. And that slowly the water level in the tank will build higher.

Have to turn down the pump or control it with the installed ballvalve. All of that is fine, I didn't notice the flow to be that crazy to begin with, so turning it down will lower that further of course

Soooooo when u transferring everything over?

I wanna know too! :D I'm making saltwater now. So far I had enough to fill the sump so that's about 15ish gallons. 50 more to go.

Then the SPS is the easiest part of the transfer, I will do that once the water gets a chance to circulate, and get to the right temperature. I want to do a large water change from the RSM to here to transfer some of the nutrients and DOC. My skimmer has been offline since I moved the RSM so I don't have any skimmate to throw in to seed the new tank. :( But this week is a good one to start the transfer. Once the SPS is moved, so will the RSM light. The softied in the RSM will be fine with just the halogens from my track light till I move them over.

Is the HOFFER affecting the tanks water height? You might play with the Hoffer to adjust your water level height.

The Hofer is affecting the water level. Adjusting the silencer on it might also affect the noise level. I suppose I have to play with it once the tank is filled up again.

• Like 2
I understand that. I guess the worry here is that the drain is not commensurate with the return. And that slowly the water level in the tank will build higher.Have to turn down the pump or control it with the installed ballvalve. All of that is fine, I didn't notice the flow to be that crazy to begin with, so turning it down will lower that further of course
That water level is fine. Once you start using the manifold that will drop the GPH to the display.
  • Like 1

That water level is fine. Once you start using the manifold that will drop the GPH to the display.

I did a complete plumbing test, including the manifold. The issue remains.

Kat,

How long have you been setting this up? Should take like a day max! LOL JK just bustin your ballz!

Tank arrived on Nov 14th. Took me a week to get too much to happen. Then the bulkheads were leaking, but it's all done now. The fun begins.

I did a complete plumbing test, including the manifold. The issue remains.

Tank arrived on Nov 14th. Took me a week to get too much to happen. Then the bulkheads were leaking, but it's all done now. The fun begins.

I wouldn't be concerned I run my tank 1/4 from the top.