Coral Vue Hydros

Kat's Birthday Party

metrokat

You can dial back some flow to the tank and water level will drop a bit, I wouldn't worry about tank turnover to the sump too much as long as you have plenty of powerhead flow.

I poured salt into the tank after filling it. Your technique sounds a lot better.

I can't believe how many pages of un-level there were. :) So you put a level across the top of the tank, it showed exactly level, but the waterline is not level? Only possible if the two side panes are a different size or one sits higher than the other. Or did you make the stand level and expect the tank to also be level?

I placed my 150 on the stand, then made sure the top of the tank was level, not caring a bit if the stand was level since small errors in stand and tank construction will make a small error larger. On a rimmed tank the rim itself can throw me off but all i cared about was it looking level.

jedimasterben

Anybody cheat the system by mixing double the salt in 1/2 the water and then diluting as needed to achieve the right salinity?

Don't do that. Some of the elements in the salt are already supersaturated at NSW levels, adding double that causes precipitation.

Just add the salt as you fill it up. :)

• Like 5

Too late. Cheating the system

You can dial back some flow to the tank and water level will drop a bit, I wouldn't worry about tank turnover to the sump too much as long as you have plenty of powerhead flow.

Maybe I can turn up my MP10s to high now.

• Like 1

Don't do that. Some of the elements in the salt are already supersaturated at NSW levels, adding double that causes precipitation.

Just add the salt as you fill it up. :)

You can precipitate CaCO3 but im sure in a new tank the levels are going to be too high anyways.

I tried to cheat the system when I was setting up my Mr Aqua tank and couldn't get all of the salt to dissolve at 2x the concentration (was using RC).

LMK how yours ends up going.

• Like 1

I tried to cheat the system when I was setting up my Mr Aqua tank and couldn't get all of the salt to dissolve at 2x the concentration (was using RC).

LMK how yours ends up going.

It was just sitting at the bottom undissolved?

• Like 1

I fill mine up with fresh then add salt to the sump slowly and mix it with my hand until it's right. Also tells me exactly how many gallons are in the system because it's 1/4 cup per gallon with my salt.

• Like 1

I fill mine up with fresh then add salt to the sump slowly and mix it with my hand until it's right. Also tells me exactly how many gallons are in the system because it's 1/4 cup per gallon with my salt.

LEarn something new everyday. I use Neomarine. Has to mix 24 hours to stabilize pH and for appropriate gas exchange. Don't bite me, says so on the bucket and Chris Brightwell explained it too. I'm happy with this salt, the levels are close to NSW in this mix and seem to be liked by the critters. Jedibear mentioned Randy Holmes Farley doesn't have nice things to say about Neomarine. I've been looking for a link to the discussion. But anyway, I think salt is a personal preference.

This one? http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2397423

RHF just isn't into bullshit marketing, which Chris Brightwell seems to have built his business on.

Yeah, I have to say, I was highly unimpressed by the Brightwell company response to my legitimate science questions "This is all proprietary information... blah blah blah" Pffft. I didn't ask for any actual secrets. I just want to know EXACTLY what is in the bottle and what I'm putting in my tank. I'm done with the Brightwell stuff for now, especially after looking at in under the scope. Dr Tim's at least discussed it with me, albeit condescendingly. I'll give him credit for the science discussion. I'd be willing to try his stuff out at least, now.

On a salt-related note, there is a professor here in the Marine Sciences department who studies corals and the impact of CO2, high temperatures, and acidification on them. Just put out a cool paper that has all of his coral growth conditions. Lighting, salt, flow rate, tank size, etc. Amazing. I'm going to end up translating it (from super science nerdery) and post it in my thread.

• Like 2

Anybody cheat the system by mixing double the salt in 1/2 the water and then diluting as needed to achieve the right salinity?

Please don't do that! You could precipitate out some elements which isn't a good thing....

yes fresh water tends to be higher in the big three.

Yes to a point..... your tank uses these elements so they deplete and most likely become lower then fresh saltwater (especially if you have growing coral.). However the fresh water mixes to a point that is safe (or atleast should, I know Red Sea Coral Pro was rumored to mix very high and some noticed precipitation even at proper mixing.....), supersaturating it like a 2x dose of salt to water would do you are risking precipitating out good elements, especially calcium but I am sure other elements as well.

Please don't do that! You could precipitate out some elements which isn't a good thing....

Yes to a point..... your tank uses these elements so they deplete and most likely become lower then fresh saltwater (especially if you have growing coral.). However the fresh water mixes to a point that is safe (or atleast should, I know Red Sea Coral Pro was rumored to mix very high and some noticed precipitation even at proper mixing.....), supersaturating it like a 2x dose of salt to water would do you are risking precipitating out good elements, especially calcium but I am sure other elements as well.

From what I have seen rscp really only mixes poorly when people fail to follow the VERY specific instructions for mixing it lol. I plan to give it a go soon as my rc mix is out though it just sounds good.

From what I have seen rscp really only mixes poorly when people fail to follow the VERY specific instructions for mixing it lol. I plan to give it a go soon as my rc mix is out though it just sounds good.

I've never tried it but same thing, if you don't mix any of them right you will have issues ;)

• Like 1

I've never tried it but same thing, if you don't mix any of them right you will have issues ;)

I semi saturate when I mix in a 33 gallon brute when I fill up about 3/4ths of it and add an approx amount of salt because I am too lazy to figure out the exact volume, but I never have any visible precipitates when I top it off but its usually only a few gallons off.

I semi saturate when I mix in a 33 gallon brute when I fill up about 3/4ths of it and add an approx amount of salt because I am too lazy to figure out the exact volume, but I never have any visible precipitates when I top it off but its usually only a few gallons off.

Couple gallons with RC isn't a big deal, 2x the salt to water with any of them I'd imagine a white cloud lol