Cultivated Reef

Kat's Birthday Party

metrokat

I'm sure this is a dumb question, is it possible the sides (front and back) have a lip? as in the the ends match up but the bottom pane is actually glued in diagonal? I would think shimming the stand would correct for that but now your bottom pane isn't sitting flush on the stand anymore?

I'm sure this is a dumb question, is it possible the sides (front and back) have a lip? as in the the ends match up but the bottom pane is actually glued in diagonal? I would think shimming the stand would correct for that but now your bottom pane isn't sitting flush on the stand anymore?

There is no lip but I'm not sure how leveling the stand makes the tank not sit flush? Or are you saying the wood has some flex so that is why it's now warped?

I'm sure this is a dumb question, is it possible the sides (front and back) have a lip? as in the the ends match up but the bottom pane is actually glued in diagonal?

She said it feels flush (although I suspected the same as you and in all honesty it does look off in the pic... but I can't feel it so I will trust what she says she feels.).... Assuming it is indeed flush, no it is not possible to have the bottom pane siliconed in diagonally. Even if it is in diagonally there is no way to correct for this and I would highly recommend not trying to adjust, or shim it as it could give even more uneven pressure on the bottom pane and cause a crack/break almost certainly.

I would think shimming the stand would correct for that but now your bottom pane isn't sitting flush on the stand anymore?

If the bottom pane is not flush it will add to big problems the way this tank is built. The stand itself is level tho after being shimmed, and thus the tank should be level in every aspect as well.... but the bottom is not for whatever reason that none of us can figure out :wacko:

• Like 1

There is no lip but I'm not sure how leveling the stand makes the tank not sit flush? Or are you saying the wood has some flex so that is why it's now warped?

No not quite, I am not explaining it well. Is there a lip anywhere at all on the entire tank?

Is it possible the glass itself is deformed, like its thicker at one end then the other?

Not that it matters at this point I guess, I'm just curious now...

Is it possible the glass itself is deformed, like its thicker at one end then the other?

Not very likely, especially 1/4" difference like kat has. Although at this point I wouldn't rule it out :wacko:

For that to have happened it would have been in the manufacturing process (as glass doesn't warp/twist like wood) and there would be some major issues if there is a 1/4" difference in a 3' piece...... for it to be something like that post manufacturing the pane would have shattered without a doubt.

Tank is plumbed now. I suppose I could take apart the manifold and that will allow me to lift out the tank from the overflow very slowly and carefully so as not to bump the bulkheads and everything fitted to it. Lay it on the side and see what is underneath?

Tank is plumbed now. I suppose I could take apart the manifold and that will allow me to lift out the tank from the overflow very slowly and carefully so as not to bump the bulkheads and everything fitted to it. Lay it on the side and see what is underneath?

Honestly I wouldn't do anything until after talking to CAD.... other then completely draining the tank anyway.

• Like 2

You could carefully measure the height from the top edge of the glass to the top surface of the bottom glass on each side. If the top edge is level and the top of the bottom is not, then that means they are not parallel. If the length from the top edge is the same on both sides, check the distance in the middle since the level doesn't reach from end to end (maybe something is bowed or curved somehow).

Btw, the way you check the accuracy of your level is to put it on something that shows as level, and then switch the ends of the level around. If the bubble is in the same spot both ways, the level is accurate.

• Like 2

Took some better measurements of the water level.

20141122_212012.jpg

Btw, the way you check the accuracy of your level is to put it on something that shows as level, and then switch the ends of the level around. If the bubble is in the same spot both ways, the level is accurate.

The level is not accurate when I do this. That is why I used a ruler for the water level measurements

20141122_212257.jpg

Updated picture showing placement of shims under the cabinet.

20141122_212508.jpg

Maybe removing that back right shim might even the right side of the level. It still won;t match the left, or maybe it will. Should I try it?

Kat, do you have anything that has a 90 degree angle, like a sheet of paper?

The chances of the tank being non-square is really low, but I'd hold up that 90 degree angle up to all the joints of the tank to make sure everything is at least square.

Also, at this point, you might also want to measure the height of your tank at all four corners to make sure their equal (i.e they cut the glass right).

EDIT: In other words, these measurements should tell us whether the aquarium was built square & the glass was also cut square.

• Like 1

You could carefully measure the height from the top edge of the glass to the top surface of the bottom glass on each side. If the top edge is level and the top of the bottom is not, then that means they are not parallel. If the length from the top edge is the same on both sides, check the distance in the middle since the level doesn't reach from end to end (maybe something is bowed or curved somehow).

You have to take these with a grain of salt, it's a ruler that is sitting on the floor of the tank, as close to the glass as possible without sitting on the silicone. Therefore the ruler is at an angle. The bead of silicone is hand applied in these tanks right? So this bead of silicone could be thicker in some places and not so much in others. This will affect the angle of the ruler and thus the measurement.

Front left

20141122_213044.jpg

Front right

20141122_213122.jpg

Back right (shim is here) from the left panel

20141122_213155.jpg

Back right from the back panel

20141122_213320.jpg

Back left next to overflow box

20141122_213425.jpg

Back left other side of overflow box

20141122_213508.jpg

Front left

20141122_213044.jpg

Front right

20141122_213122.jpg

Back right (shim is here) from the left panel

20141122_213155.jpg

Back right from the back panel

20141122_213320.jpg

Back left next to overflow box

20141122_213425.jpg

Back left other side of overflow box

20141122_213508.jpg

Wait, am i tripping, or is the tank crooked.

• Like 2

I did the front left and back left again and it's about a 1/32" difference. Seems more in the photos but it is not.

You have to take these with a grain of salt, it's a ruler that is sitting on the floor of the tank, as close to the glass as possible without sitting on the silicone. Therefore the ruler is at an angle. The bead of silicone is hand applied in these tanks right? So this bead of silicone could be thicker in some places and not so much in others. This will affect the angle of the ruler and thus the measurement.

I still say aliens.

It's crooked making the bottom pane unlevel. I'm not exactly sure why that happens because I don't build boxes for a living. Wait Kat I know who can tell you why the bottom pane is unlevel Hillybilly can. He makes furniture for a living and knows this shit! Send him a PM the guy is a genius when it comes to level square and plumb.
  • Like 3

For what it's worth, I add a little bit of silicone to every bulkhead I install, not on the water side but on the dry side, especially when everything is hard plumbed.

• Like 2

As bad as I want a sump, this is the reason I did not get one. If I fill up my tank, then I'll have to suck it up. Hopefully several years from now. Good luck with the plumbing.

Kat, do you have anything that has a 90 degree angle, like a sheet of paper?

The chances of the tank being non-square is really low, but I'd hold up that 90 degree angle up to all the joints of the tank to make sure everything is at least square.

Not really.... the bottom could easily be out of square with the rest of the tank the way it is built (sides but to sides of bottom instead of sitting on top of the bottom...) I actually find it kind of odd that it is built this way and there supposedly isn't a raise to the bottom pane as from what I've seen you typically raise the bottom on this style of build.

Also, at this point, you might also want to measure the height of your tank at all four corners to make sure their equal (i.e they cut the glass right).

If the sides rested on the bottom this would make sense to do, but the sides are on the outside edges of the bottom.... so there really is no difference of measuring the glass or measuring the water level which measures off.

EDIT: In other words, these measurements should tell us whether the aquarium was built square & the glass was also cut square.

Obviously not or the bottom pane would be level and the water level would be level since EVERYTHING else is level :wacko:

• Like 1

Only thing that makes sense to me honestly, the sump is level and I can't see CAD making an unsquare tank.

I'm sorry but CADs quality isn't what alot of people make it out to be from what I have seen on numerous builds.

I'm sorry but CADs quality isn't what alot of people make it out to be from what I have seen on numerous builds.

Really? I always thought they were a high end company. I'd still check the top of stand with a long level. I also wonder why they built it as a floating bottom tank. I'm not a tank build so Im sure they have their reason.