inTank Media Baskets

Kat's Birthday Party

metrokat

Well good morning from the empty tank. One bulkhead is great (the drain) the other is still leaking. That's the one with all the fittings also so unscrewing isn't so easy. But what does unscrewing solve I think it needs to be tightened more. Right?

Here's a selfie of my bruised and battered elbow for shits and giggles in the meantime.

Unscrewing it might untwist/distort an overtightened gasket. Also, remember that the rubber gasket always goes on the flange (er, flared) side. When I initially set up my plumbing, I made the mistake of putting my gasket on the screw side and my bulkheads dribbled.

I feel your pain with the leaking bulkheads first time you fill her up! One of my two returns leaked slightly and I had the gaskets on the wrong side of the ghostoverflow first time fml. You'll get it right, don't go too tight or..... What size is that glass?

The gaskets were on the wrong side, they have been corrected, still leaks. I'll try unscrewing slightly.

I shoot a little silicone inside the gap between the glass and the bulkhead (from inside the stand) that runs through it, tighten the nut on and let it sit for 24 hrs.... never had a leak.

• Like 1
I feel your pain with the leaking bulkheads first time you fill her up! One of my two returns leaked slightly and I had the gaskets on the wrong side of the ghostoverflow first time fml. You'll get it right, don't go too tight or..... What size is that glass?
I know the sides are 3/8. I'm not sure about thw bottom, are they heavier or what

I shoot a little silicone inside the gap between the glass and the bulkhead (from inside the stand) that runs through it, tighten the nut on and let it sit for 24 hrs.... never had a leak.
my silicone needs 48hr ciretime it says. Also you wouldnt be able to remo e the bulkhead if needed right?
NorthGaHillbilly
I know the sides are 3/8. I'm not sure about thw bottom, are they heavier or what my silicone needs 48hr ciretime it says. Also you wouldnt be able to remo e the bulkhead if needed right?

I ended up doing Chris' s fix on the two bulkheads on the bottom of my tank, worked like a charm. The bulkhead could still be removed, but just with a little more work

• Like 2

my silicone needs 48hr ciretime it says. Also you wouldnt be able to remo e the bulkhead if needed right?

Is it the stuff from HD?? If so thats what I use around my bulkheads as well. But still if you want to wait the 48 nothing wrong with being a little extra cautious as it can be toxic if not fully cured (it will stink like vinegar if its not cured....strong vinegar.)

Yes you can still remove it, not as easily but not impossible by any means..... although I don't think I know anyone that regularly removes their bulkheads for something to do so IMO its not a big deal :wacko:

• Like 1

I've removed both bulkheads. so this bead of silicone goes from inside the cabinet onto the rim of the drilled hole correct? The point being to reduce the diameter of the hole?

Then while it is wet I put in the bulkheads?

Tighten the nut and wait 48 hours?

Did a google search on silicone on bulkhead and the sheer # of people saying you don't need it just hand tighten, make sure it's a new gasket and on the flange side is crazy. So why is the thing leaking! :furious:
Because your hand tight and my hand tight are totally different :).
  • Like 4

Because your hand tight and my hand tight are totally different :).

Re-read some silicone/BH threads. People said make sure everything is dry when you install. So I did that, dried it. Then I had TS tighten the nut, he's stronger than me. The return bulkhead continues to leak.

Silicone is next. Do I put it on the glass on the inside of the drilled rim, outside the glass, on the bulkhead threads? where do put the silicone?

Is the gasket seated properly?

absolutely flush and on the flange side.

Silicone is next. Do I put it on the glass on the inside of the drilled rim, outside the glass, on the bulkhead threads? where do put the silicone?

Just put a heavy bead around the edge of your drilled hole. Put it all together and tighten. Wipe off any excess sillycone. That should seal whatever little voids you have.

• Like 1

I thought applying silicone to a bulkhead was a no go. If at any time you had to replace it...well good luck with that. If eveything ia as it should be and well seated, then it just shouldnt leak.

I thought applying silicone to a bulkhead was a no go. If at any time you had to replace it...well good luck with that. If eveything ia as it should be and well seated, then it just shouldnt leak.

Yes, it shouldn't leak, but it does. Silicone is done.

Just put a heavy bead around the edge of your drilled hole. Put it all together and tighten. Wipe off any excess sillycone. That should seal whatever little voids you have.

Thanks Jack, that is what I did. Everything is joined, screwed, barbed and set. 24 hours. tick tock tick tock.

• Like 1
Yes, it shouldn't leak, but it does. Silicone is done.

Thanks Jack, that is what I did. Everything is joined, screwed, barbed and set. 24 hours. tick tock tick tock.

Nicely done.

• Like 1

You probably have a damaged gasket. That being said, adecent silicon job and the damaged gasket won't matter. Did yiu do it on both sides of the gasket or just one?

I had another 3/4" bulkhead (the one for the loc-line), I swapped the gaskets between that one and the leaky one. I put the silicone on the glass rim, the silicone went on both sides after the nut was tightened. The leak was a drop at a time. Hopefully this fixes it. If not, thank goodness it's Thanksgiving and I have nothing else to do.

I never used silicone on bulkheads. News to me :)

Learn something new everyday eh? ;)

I've removed both bulkheads. so this bead of silicone goes from inside the cabinet onto the rim of the drilled hole correct? The point being to reduce the diameter of the hole?

Tighten the nut and wait 48 hours?

I set the bulkhead in position, silicone around the bulkhead from underneath between the hole in the glass and the bulkhead itself. Then I tighten the nut otnto the bulkhead. I just put enough silicone to fill the void... no need to have it all sloppy and oozing out all over the place to have to clean up or look messy.

Did a google search on silicone on bulkhead and the sheer # of people saying you don't need it just hand tighten, make sure it's a new gasket and on the flange side is crazy. So why is the thing leaking! :furious:

Google :lol: Its right tho, you don't need it, but if you don't do it and have a leak did you need it?? lol

Old school says don't do it because it can cause the gasket to slide and silicone won't properly adhere to the gasket.... don't apply it to the gasket, fill the void and ensure 0 leaks! In all reality you still won't have a leak even if it gets onto the gasket as long as you filled the void between the bulkhead and the glass completely ;)

My tank has around 1cm difference in water level from left to right. You know why I don't do anything about it? Because #homeinsurance

Not all home insurances are equal.... I know in some areas/ companies you have to have an aquarium policy to cover damage from a tank.