ReefCleaners.org

Kat's Birthday Party

metrokat

NorthGaHillbilly

I think we have our answer maybe?

BL 1 1/18" BR 1"

FL 1 1/18" FR 1"

Drain tank, remove shims. Fill tank, check again.

so from the rim of the tank to the resting water line it is the same all the way around?

• Like 1

I think we have our answer maybe?

BL 1 1/18" BR 1"

FL 1 1/18" FR 1"

Drain tank, remove shims. Fill tank, check again.

Sure if your floor is only 1/18" of an inch off..... otherwise no. 1/18" off from top to water level won't make the water depths in the tank off by 1/4".

They are basically the same all the way around which further leads to the bottom panel being off ;)

Sure if your floor is only 1/18" of an inch off..... otherwise no. And 1/18" off from top to water level won't make the water depths in the tank off by 1/4".

They are basically the same all the way around which further leads to the bottom panel being off ;)

I corrected that 1/4" off measurement a couple pages back with the hand drawing of the measurement and shims. It is 1/18"

I corrected that 1/4" off measurement a couple pages back with the hand drawing of the measurement and shims. It is 1/18"

1/18 isn't anything to worry about. how thick are your shims?

The shims are made of soft wood I think. Maybe the compression from the combined weight of the tank and stand is somehow responsible. Will know more tomorrow. If draining, removing shims, filling water agAin doesnt resolve the level, I'll take the tank off the stand to see the bottom pane. Hope laying it on the side will be okay.

NorthGaHillbilly

The shims are made of soft wood I think. Maybe the compression from the combined weight of the tank and stand is somehow responsible. Will know more tomorrow. If draining, removing shims, filling water agAin doesnt resolve the level, I'll take the tank off the stand to see the bottom pane. Hope laying it in the side will be okay.

Did you measure from the top rim down to the water line?

• Like 1

Did you measure from the top rim down to the water line?

Yeah I just realized those measurements make 0 sense for what you asked... unless the tank is now full to the overflow box with water....

Are you saying the water depths are now only 1/18" off, if so thats nothing to even bother with just leave it and fill the damn thing. 1/4" is concerning, 1/18" not so much lol

• Like 1

Good morning people of the sloping reef. :happy: I was dreaming of tilted tanks all night, got up to check on it a few times too.

So regardless of 1/8" or whatever, I have drained the tank. Waiting for Tank Sitter to help me remove the tank from the stand, going to inspect the bottom once and for all. Check stand level, remove shims. Install a rubber mat on the cabinet top and put the tank back. Fill it up the same 5G and see what the water level says. I have a feeling we will be good. Cross your fingers!!!

• Like 2

Thank you. Looking at all my measurement, pictures and things, removing the sims on the side that has a higher water level will only make the water level higher on that side. So technically I need to add to the height on the left side to get a straight water line. I think I might leave the shims and see how the rubber mat helps.

Aiiiyaiyai

Kat. I'm sorry your going through this headache. Why is everyone on this forum giving this poor girl the most complicated directions for fixing the easiest thing ever???

Kat go ahead and remove ALL your shims. Place the tank on top of the stand. I have always used a yoga mat or drawer liner under my tanks. I would recommend one for your tank also. Once you have your tank on the stand, put 5-10 gallons in it. See where you stand with your water level, and also check to see how level the tank is. Now you can shim the tank if needed. 1 shim and small asjustment at a time. Use the water level as your indicator. Your bubble on your level could be in the middle, but the tank could still be off by a hair. That's what's giving u the difference in water level.'

• Like 1

Alright. I think I have good news.

Took the tank off and inspected the bottom. A close inspection of the bottom panel showed that It is flush. But it's curious- the corners are absolutely flush. The middle of the bottom pane has a lip - albeit a super tiny one, I would say a hair less than 1/18". All the panes have this bevel edge to them, all 5 panes. The lip that I'm talking about is the size of the beveled edge. I personally don't think a hair difference would change the water level to a noticeable difference. And the difference isn't in the middle of the tank but between the sides.

Rubber mat in place, tank is back on and filled with 5 gallons. Here's the rub. I still see a visible water line slope. Ha Ha. I'm just going to drink now. How ever from the top rim of the tank the water level is now even on all 4 corners. I have absolutely no frickin' clue what this all means. It's level from the top of the tank down but not from the bottom of the tank up? The only logical conclusion after a visual inspection of the bottom pane is that the bottom pane is somehow a slope from left to right. It's the same 1/18" difference between L and R.

I actually increased the shim on the front left, that's what the cabinet level was telling me to do! So with an increase in height on the left, it's still showing a 1/18" diff same as before. WTF man. I also thought about the floor getting compressed with the weight causing the level to be off slightly as we are noticing. My flooring is very old, crackling, makes snap pop sounds when you walk all over the apartment.

So are we all in agreement about aliens and that I should fill this tank up already?

Aiiiyaiyai

Kat. I'm sorry your going through this headache. Why is everyone on this forum giving this poor girl the most complicated directions for fixing the easiest thing ever???

Kat go ahead and remove ALL your shims. Place the tank on top of the stand. I have always used a yoga mat or drawer liner under my tanks. I would recommend one for your tank also. Once you have your tank on the stand, put 5-10 gallons in it. See where you stand with your water level, and also check to see how level the tank is. Now you can shim the tank if needed. 1 shim and small asjustment at a time. Use the water level as your indicator. Your bubble on your level could be in the middle, but the tank could still be off by a hair. That's what's giving u the difference in water level.'

At this point Alex, I need a many drinks. I could have used some hand holding yesterday though. :lol:

• Like 1

#### it, i think your whole building is crooked..fill er up.

It IS crooked!! There is no guessing on this one, the joints in some dry-walls routinely crack. I'm on the waters edge, we are becoming the leaning tower of Pisa slowly.

I have to leave for a New York Red Bulls final game in 2.5 hours. So I'm going to let this tank sit lonely. When I get back I have dinner plans so looks like I might have to wait till tomorrow to fire up the plumbing. So sad!