Innovative Marine Aquariums

Kat's Birthday Party

metrokat

Thank you. Looking at all my measurement, pictures and things, removing the sims on the side that has a higher water level will only make the water level higher on that side. So technically I need to add to the height on the left side to get a straight water line. I think I might leave the shims and see how the rubber mat helps.

Removing the shims would lower the water level, but not knowing what height your shims are I would not suggest removing them or worrying about 1/16" of unlevelness..... 1/16" is not going to be noticeable to the eye even.... 1/4" like you claimed was the issue before would have been and would have been a risk. Also, putting a rubber mat under the tank may void the warranty, all manufacuters are different on wanting or not wanting something under the tank and that rubber mat has different heights to it so it may very easily be more headache then it is worth. I wouldn't use it personally..... generally they want absolutely nothing under the tank or they want styrofoam under it.

AGAIN 1/16" IS NOT SOMETHING TO BE CONCERNED ABOUT.

That said I question the accuracy of it being 1/16" off as 1/16" spread over a 3' span would not be noticeable really, like you are saying you clearly see.

Aiiiyaiyai

Kat. I'm sorry your going through this headache. Why is everyone on this forum giving this poor girl the most complicated directions for fixing the easiest thing ever???

Kat go ahead and remove ALL your shims. Place the tank on top of the stand. I have always used a yoga mat or drawer liner under my tanks. I would recommend one for your tank also. Once you have your tank on the stand, put 5-10 gallons in it. See where you stand with your water level, and also check to see how level the tank is. Now you can shim the tank if needed. 1 shim and small asjustment at a time. Use the water level as your indicator. Your bubble on your level could be in the middle, but the tank could still be off by a hair. That's what's giving u the difference in water level.'

Removing all the shims is horrible advice. The ####ing thing is level.... 1/16" (which is what I figured she meant just didn't feel like messing with it lastnight since I've never seen a tape measure that shows 18ths LOL) isn't shit to worry about, like I said last night when she said she was off by 1/18". 1/8 is even acceptable, 1/4" is not however and that is what was believed to have been the issue due to apparent user error.... although it still doesn't explain why everything else is level but the bottom pane doesn't show level....

Oh! Benny just pointed out my typo. It's 1/16th, not 1/18th. :blush: Beat me.

;)

Kat, do not shim the aquarium but cabinet that it seats on. Go to HD or Lowe's and get adjustable, screw in feet ( small screw like feet with round base piece). You might also need treaded inserts for them ( not sure if those come in the set). I can pm you pics and links if needed.

Edit: similar to one's in this link. There are more heavy-duty products out there as well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0006IWSFQ/ref=pd_aw_sims_8?pi=SL500_SY115&simLd=1

Removing the shims would lower the water level, but not knowing what height your shims are I would not suggest removing them or worrying about 1/16" of unlevelness..... 1/16" is not going to be noticeable to the eye even.... 1/4" like you claimed was the issue before would have been and would have been a risk. Also, putting a rubber mat under the tank may void the warranty, all manufacuters are different on wanting or not wanting something under the tank and that rubber mat has different heights to it so it may very easily be more headache then it is worth. I wouldn't use it personally..... generally they want absolutely nothing under the tank or they want styrofoam under it.

AGAIN 1/16" IS NOT SOMETHING TO BE CONCERNED ABOUT.

That said I question the accuracy of it being 1/16" off as 1/16" spread over a 3' span would not be noticeable really, like you are saying you clearly see.

Removing all the shims is horrible advice. The ####ing thing is level.... 1/16" (which is what I figured she meant just didn't feel like messing with it lastnight since I've never seen a tape measure that shows 18ths LOL) isn't shit to worry about, like I said last night when she said she was off by 1/18". 1/8 is even acceptable, 1/4" is not however and that is what was believed to have been the issue due to apparent user error.... although it still doesn't explain why everything else is level but the bottom pane doesn't show level....

;)

Horrible advice?? Do you know how off a level can be?? Are you a contractor or tool maker? You do know there is a acceptable "tolerance" when it comes to this stuff right?

Removing the shims and starting over is the BEST advice that has been given in 3 pages of people coming up with crazy "theories". She needs to start fresh with no shims and work her way up. A couple inches of water in the tank will help her get everything dialed in. It's not only being level left to right, by front to back and corner to corner. The tank is obviously not level if her water level isn't level. The tank is fine. From the pictures you can clearly see the bottom pane is perfectly fine!

KAT save yourself some headache and listen to me. I wouldn't steer you wrong. Start fresh and put a couple inches of water in the tank and start from there. Is the tank on hard floors?? That is something that I haven't seen discussed and makes a big difference. Is it on a rug or anything?? The tank is straight and true Kat. Just isn't level, even is your tool says it is. I can't count the times my "level" tells me something is straight and it's not. Ive gone as far as using 3 different "levels" on 1 project and they all say something different.

Enjoy your new tank.

• Like 2

I'm at sold out New York Red Bulls Soccer final. Took us 1.5 hours to get parked and into the arena. This stadium is SOLD OUT. Woooooot. Opening ceremonies are under way. Crazy fans. Imma holler so loud yo. We haven't been in the finals in 8 years and it's Henry's last game. He's a God.

Woo hoo fireworks just launched. Where is my beer!

• Like 2

I haven't read every post (I don't have that much time) but as a sanity check, have you checked the level and then rotated the level 180 degrees (horizontally) and confirmed the bubble is in the same place. This would just remove the possibility that the level is reading slightly off (although unlikely).

Also, I think the tank wants to be on a flat surface to minimize strain - if you shim the tank it could load it unevenly (assuming the tank isn't completely Dr Seuss).

Good luck!

• Like 1

I would second starting fresh from ground up. There is simply no reason to use shim bandaid as a solution. Start from the floor. Then make sure the cabinet is level. Use hight adjusters if necessary. Like above poster said, fill your tank with minimal amount of water and double check everything. Hight adjusters can be raised or lowered with a simple wrench if needed. Your sump and tank will thank you.

P.S soft wood shims are probably the worst idea for this application

Use hight adjusters

A band aid is a band aid....

Kat get under the subfloor (and realistically under the building itself) and address the structural issues that are the real cause of your tank (and apartment) being off. Then there will be no need for shims or adjusters :)

• Like 1

You can also use this simple, over 4000 y.o tool called water level. Nothing can be more accurate and simple. Didn't put any effort in search on YouTube but this clip explains the basics

How to make a simple water level for the DIY:

• Like 1

To shim or not to shim the cabinet. Debate starts now. :)

Sorry no adjusters. Shims or nothing.

Goodluck

????"snaps 4.5 times easier than traditional wood shims. " ?????????

You don't need different shims, or adjusters.... you need to put water in and start the party.... after removing the rubber mat which may void your warranty.

Rally cry in the stadium is "you suck asshole". F bombs flying all around us. How is this a family friendly sport again?

I'm teaching my niece to say arrrgh! Everytime we miss. She's not sure about that.

She wants to say "awww come on" instead. :huh:

• Like 2

Rally cry in the stadium is "you suck asshole". F bombs flying all around us. How is this a family friendly sport again?

I'm teaching my niece to say arrrgh! Everytime we miss. She's not sure about that.

She wants to say "awww come on" instead.

Ha!! That is exactly what my 10-year-old daughter says! (awww come on!!) How old is your niece? Looks like a great game!

• Like 1

Ok, so I know its been (mostly) established, but even if the bottom panel was higher on one end by something crazy like 6+ inches, it wouldn't affect the height from the top edge to the waterline. Ergo, the bottom panel isn't the issue. Two things can affect the apparent 'levelness' of the water line: if the panels are of uneven height, or if the tank is tilted (not sitting level).

If its the former, well they ****ed up. If its the later, shims to the stand should be able to fix the problem.

Really, you need to fill it up most of the way, if it looks off, then you need to measure from the top edge to the waterline at at least the four corners. If they're not all the same, then I'd measure (on the outside) from the bottom to top edges. If those are all the same, then the stand either isn't level, or for some reason the tank isn't sitting correctly on the stand.

• Like 1