Cultivated Reef

Kat's Birthday Party

metrokat

NorthGaHillbilly

Ok, i cant explain this completely, but I can tell you this, the water in your tank is the most accurate level you could ever find. If you fill your tank with water the top of the water will be level to the earth, forgive my oversimplification.

I was originally thinking about the bottom of the tank too, but DUA, it dosent matter if its level or not, the water WILL be level. So your tank isnt level, now one side being taller than the other would do it, but 1/4" would be pretty damn obvious.

• Like 4

Really? I always thought they were a high end company. I'd still check the top of stand with a long level. I also wonder why they built it as a floating bottom tank. I'm not a tank build so Im sure they have their reason.

Thats how they portray themselves I suppose but I've seen numerous #### ups.... parts missing, weird parts, stuff arriving broken that was clearly shipped broken, things not what they claimed to be.... hell the way her stand is built is low end, I've never seen that locknut junk on anything high end before.... and thats before we get into the fact they took a redimade stand and modified it instead of building a custom stand for the tank since she went with a custom overflow location.... they could have atleast put a little white paint over their cuts to make it look a little better.

If the bottom is flush like Kat said technically its not a floating bottom.... its just built wrong for either common style lol

Ok, i cant explain this completely, but I can tell you this, the water in your tank is the most accurate level you could ever find. If you fill your tank with water the top of the water will be level to the earth, forgive my oversimplification.

I was originally thinking about the bottom of the tank too, but DUA, it dosent matter if its level or not, the water WILL be level. So your tank isnt level, now one side being taller than the other would do it, but 1/4" would be pretty damn obvious.

To an extent yes... water is self leveling so it is going to be level, but the different depths make it unlevel at the same time. Like the surface of the ocean is level to earth but irregular to the seafloor.... her seafloor is off ;) Make sense??

We've established the tank isn't level GA, now tell us why!!!! LOL

Yeah I guess you're right Chris, the fact that they drilled a 35mm hole for a bulkhead is a dead give away to me. Honestly, get a framing square, check the tank, check the stand.

This is really simple to figure out which is uneven. We know the water inside the tank isn't even, just don't know if the flaw is in the tank or the stand, take the tank off the stand, throw the level on the stand.

• Like 2

This is really simple to figure out which is uneven. We know the water inside the tank isn't even, just don't know if the flaw is in the tank or the stand, take the tank off the stand, throw the level on the stand.

Stand is level across the front, tank is level across the front on top, water is not even (guess thats really the more proper term) with bottom of tank.... the tank bottom is really the only thing that could be off.

• Like 3
NorthGaHillbilly

Take the tank off the stand, check level on the stand including diagonally, if it is indeed level then the tank isnt sitting level. If the bottom of the tank isnt raised up in relation to the sides , which from all ive read is how it aught to be done, and its resting on the bottom pane of glass then i expect thats the problem.

Question, how carefully have we taken and measures each pane of glass? do we know for sure the panes are square? measured from

1 2

tank

3 4

Measuring form 1 to 4 should be exactly the same as from 2 to 3

• Like 3

even if the bottom of the tank is not aligned right the water line will always maintain 100% level. The tank itself would show unlevel, By the logic of the ocean thing, think about it this way, live rock in your tank doesn't make the water unlevel, there are pressure differences but the level at the top of the tank remains steady. Also, im in agreement with hillbilly here, if the tank was built a quarter inch too high on one side you would go wtf before water was in it.

Shouldn't a half inch of foam under the tank solve the problem anyways? Or is the foam not compressing enough under the waters weight?

• Like 1

20141122_212508.jpg

Maybe removing that back right shim might even the right side of the level. It still won;t match the left, or maybe it will. Should I try it?

May be wrong here, but visualising these measurements makes me think that distance from the floor to the bottom piece of glass would be greater on the right side of the tank than the left. Which furthers the thought of the bottom piece of glass being raised up higher on the right than it is on the left. Make sense? Essentially the tank is sitting with the back right corner higher than the rest. Which doesn't make sense given the levelness of the stand

• Like 1

I'm going to drain the tank and remove the shims. Then fill up the tank again. If the water becomes level, isn't that the biggest concern alleviated, which is the water pressure on one side pane won't happen.

I'm going to drain the tank and remove the shims. Then fill up the tank again. If the water becomes level, isn't that the biggest concern alleviated, which is the water pressure on one side pane won't happen.

Can you put a rug or some foam under the stand to make it self level? Nothing decorative I'd cut it flush to the stand if the removing shims doesn't work.

Also, think of it this way, the water is always level, the glass panes are not 100% perpendicular and or horizontal to the water line though which is what gives an uneven appearance.

• Like 1

even if the bottom of the tank is not aligned right the water line will always maintain 100% level. The tank itself would show unlevel, By the logic of the ocean thing, think about it this way, live rock in your tank doesn't make the water unlevel, there are pressure differences but the level at the top of the tank remains steady. Also, im in agreement with hillbilly here, if the tank was built a quarter inch too high on one side you would go wtf before water was in it.

I said unlevel, meant uneven.... Clearly the water level is uneven which means the bottom is unlevel when EVERYTHING else is showing level except the bottom pane.

no. then instead of having one pane of glass out of wack you have a tank and sump out of wack but one piece level.

NorthGaHillbilly

Id be less worried about the weight of the water "leaning" on one side compared to the stressed that could be coming from a "tweaked" silicone joint.

Id step back from it tonight, as were all coaching from the sideline and Im sure your stressed and agitated, and in the morning pull the tank off the stand and double check the levelness of the stand, then go from there.

• Like 7

Can you put a rug or some foam under the stand to make it self level? Nothing decorative I'd cut it flush to the stand if the removing shims doesn't work.

The stand is showing level I don't get why this is so hard to understand.... the stand isn't the issue. :wacko:

The stand is showing level I don't get why this is so hard to understand.... the stand isn't the issue. :wacko:

water is always even 100% of the time, its the container in relation that is what gives the appearance.

also, the stand will compress the carpet at the points of uneveness, same way foam compresses under a tank to prevent any pressure points from touching the glass on a rimless tank.

• Like 2

She measured a 36" long stand with a 12" level in the middle. You don't think maybe one side of the top piece might have a slight raise to it.

24" level and if if it is cut properly no there shouldn't be a slight raise to the top piece.... even if there was it would show (by having a gap between the level and the glass) if the level reads level.

water is always even 100% of the time, its the container in relation that is what gives the appearance.

Her measurements are clearly uneven!

You could try this too, turn the tank around so the back is in the front, add some water to it, if the water level is now uneven on the opposite side it's the tank. If it's still uneven on the same side then it's a stand issue.

• Like 4

24" level and if if it is cut properly no there shouldn't be a slight raise to the top piece.... even if there was it would show (by having a gap between the level and the glass) if the level reads level.

Her measurements are clearly uneven!

the measurements are the level water in relation to a high point /low point of the tank/stand combination. take a glass of water and tip it to the side without dumping it out, the water level stays the same but it looks crooked now in relation to the top of the glass.

• Like 1
Id be less worried about the weight of the water "leaning" on one side compared to the stressed that could be coming from a "tweaked" silicone joint.

Id step back from it tonight, as were all coaching from the sideline and Im sure your stressed and agitated, and in the morning pull the tank off the stand and double check the levelness of the stand, then go from there.

^ This. Take a break and tackle it with a clear head. The next morning seems to make the obvious - obvious.

• Like 5

the measurements are the level water in relation to a high point /low point of the tank/stand combination. take a glass of water and tip it to the side without dumping it out, the water level stays the same but it looks crooked now it relation to the top of the glass.

Seriously you guys are waay over thinking this shit.

Its ultra simple.... stand adjusted to be level with shims... check.

Sump inside stand level.... check.

Top of tank level.... check.

Bottom of tank level.... #### no.

Also, while the water remains level, the water depths change due to the angle of the bottom of the cup and that seems to be the issue here since again, everything else is level except the bottom of the tank..... the top of her glass is level its the bottom of her glass thats off. ;)

Seriously you guys are waay over thinking this shit.

Its ultra simple.... stand adjusted to be level with shims... check.

Sump inside stand level.... check.

Top of tank level.... check.

Bottom of tank level.... #### no.

Im not saying where the problem is, I am saying the water is level the container is not lol. The glass thing was more of a way to visualize the aquarium as a glass of drinking water, which way to move it to get the water line parallel with the rim of the glass.

Also it is indeed bedtime because my littlest booger will indeed sound the alarm at 5am.

• Like 2
NorthGaHillbilly

If you havent already forgone the tank for the bottle Kat, measure from the top of the tank to the water level on the sides of the tank. if its the same, then the problem can definitively be identified as an unlevel bottom pane I believe.

• Like 2

Stand was made level before i put the tank on it.

Take the tank off the stand, check level on the stand including diagonally, if it is indeed level then the tank isnt sitting level. If the bottom of the tank isnt raised up in relation to the sides , which from all ive read is how it aught to be done, and its resting on the bottom pane of glass then i expect thats the problem.

Question, how carefully have we taken and measures each pane of glass? do we know for sure the panes are square? measured from

1 2

tank

3 4

Measuring form 1 to 4 should be exactly the same as from 2 to 3

1 to 4 and 3 to 4 measuring both at 101cm

You could try this too, turn the tank around so the back is in the front, add some water to it, if the water level is now uneven on the opposite side it's the tank. If it's still uneven on the same side then it's a stand issue.

Can't. Bulkheads are installed with silicone.

• Like 1

If you havent already forgone the tank for the bottle Kat, measure from the top of the tank to the water level on the sides of the tank. if its the same, then the problem can definitively be identified as an unlevel bottom pane I believe.

I think we have our answer maybe?

BL 1 1/18" BR 1"

FL 1 1/18" FR 1"

Drain tank, remove shims. Fill tank, check again.

• Like 1