Innovative Marine Aquariums

Kat's Birthday Party

metrokat

You really don't know when your leg is being pulled eh? ;):flower:

lol I know you have a job, welfare usually, USUALLY, won't pay enough for a hobby like reef keeping, unless you live off your parents money but that's a different matter all together. So the real question is what is your career?

Back home for 2 short days. Tank looks strange. It was on lights out since yesterday so the brown fuzz is photosynthetic because it's not there anymore. However it did its job, the areas on the setosa it covered are dead. Cyano is what comes to mind but I can't be sure.

You missed the opportunity to tell him that you make your cat work the streets for your money.

Onoes the Kat is outta da bag

• Like 2

It could very likely be the coral was sick or weakened by some other source, therefore giving the brown stuff nutrients, it grew on the nutrient source possibly making the coral die by the physical blockage thus giving more nutrients and so forth.

Pinner Reef

I really think it is a bacterial colony of some type, but don't think it's a form of cyano. If this were cyano there would be more than a few sparse patches around the sand and then huge die offs on the SPS. The fact that it likes to target the SPS is really unlike anything I've every seen/heard of before (outside BJD). Either way I'd say send a sample out to Tibbs, Benny or Mr. Scope for a look/see.

• Like 1

I always have to laugh when someone tries to pry on someone's life who doesn't want to be pried on by far fetches claims such as welfare, when they're clearly being coy about their industry for op-sec reasons. Private people are private, just let them be people! Especially when they have no problem being nice to you and everyone else.

• Like 3
HarryPotter

The Japanese pistol in the sump makes enough noise to wake the dead, strangely he is much quieter during the day. Maybe he needs a moonlight? Sump is in darkness.

Haha I think you are projecting a bit- I don't think shrimp have the capacity to "Miss Moonlight"!

Pinner Reef

Did a lil research and think it might actually be Brown Jelly Disease (never thought it'd affect SPS)... Now, back to yo analogies (cause they are cracking me up)

• Like 2

I always have to laugh when someone tries to pry on someone's life who doesn't want to be pried on by far fetches claims such as welfare, when they're clearly being coy about their industry for op-sec reasons. Private people are private, just let them be people! Especially when they have no problem being nice to you and everyone else.

you are misinterpreting my simple curiosity with prying, I just asked what job, that definitely wouldn't break, or I should say shouldn't break and OPSEC guidelines, the answer could be as simple as taxi driver, food industry, military, factory line, etc.
  • Like 1

Ha. Fuzzy brown millie: Mark I'm in the same boat with the UC rainbow.

I'm not happy to hear this, and also happy I'm not the only one. What the hell is it with this milli?

Hmm I thought BJD was more of a symptom of an infection than a disease itself.

I seen something a while ago hinting some species of vibrio bacteria are potentially responsible for the disease.
HarryPotter

I seen something a while ago hinting some species of vibrio bacteria are potentially responsible for the disease.

Hmm I dunno. The brown jelly is the decomposed flesh, not the actual parasite/bacteria causing it to lose flesh- right?

I had brown jelly on one head of a two head frogspawn (bought it like that for $4.99) and just cut off the bad head. I dipped it a few times and it didn't spread

• Like 1

Hmm I dunno. The brown jelly is the decomposed flesh, not the actual parasite/bacteria causing it to lose flesh- right?

I had brown jelly on one head of a two head frogspawn (bought it like that for $4.99) and just cut off the bad head. I dipped it a few times and it didn't spread

you are correct, the jelly is a mix of coral mucus, rotting flesh and bacteria. The bacteria its self is growing on the flesh, necrotizing it so I guess it could be called a symptom to see the jelly. But that jelly containing the bacteria can definitely spread it to other corals. If one were to amputate infected flesh like you did that definitely removes the primary infected site. I definitely recommend antibacterials, you dipped them, I as I mentioned a while ago would recommend tetracycline, a broad spectrum antibiotic, also there are others that would potentially kill it but how obtainable they are with no prescription makes them very much unrecommended by me.

I'm not happy to hear this, and also happy I'm not the only one. What the hell is it with this milli?

I'm not sure. I has to be light dependent. By the same token that ice tenuis they sell is a superman blue even now, even after the base has lost color in the whole Pohls fiasco.

• Like 1

I'm not sure. I has to be light dependent. By the same token that ice tenuis they sell is a superman blue even now, even after the base has lost color in the whole Pohls fiasco.

Mine is half dead, though the smaller branch on it seems to be showing improved health. If it survives it will be a long time before it gets back to looking like anything. I have noticed, since phosphates have bottomed out, that a lot of corals I had been having issues with are looking better. Those blastos I got from you are brighter than ever, and my acans have stopped receding. These supposedly like "dirty" water. So with a crap ton of GFO I am seeing an improvement, which is opposite of what many see.

I have to think I have a phosphate leaching problem, rather than a regular buildup in the water column from food or waste. Since I'm all the way down to 10 ppb phosphorus I turned off the GFO reactor to see what happens. Also letting nitrates rise with it this time but stopping dosage of NOPOX.

HarryPotter

you are correct, the jelly is a mix of coral mucus, rotting flesh and bacteria. The bacteria its self is growing on the flesh, necrotizing it so I guess it could be called a symptom to see the jelly. But that jelly containing the bacteria can definitely spread it to other corals. If one were to amputate infected flesh like you did that definitely removes the primary infected site. I definitely recommend antibacterials, you dipped them, I as I mentioned a while ago would recommend tetracycline, a broad spectrum antibiotic, also there are others that would potentially kill it but how obtainable they are with no prescription makes them very much unrecommended by me.

Luckily I have access to all sorts of prescription antibacterials:)

• Like 1

Mine is half dead, though the smaller branch on it seems to be showing improved health. If it survives it will be a long time before it gets back to looking like anything. I have noticed, since phosphates have bottomed out, that a lot of corals I had been having issues with are looking better. Those blastos I got from you are brighter than ever, and my acans have stopped receding. These supposedly like "dirty" water. So with a crap ton of GFO I am seeing an improvement, which is opposite of what many see.

I have to think I have a phosphate leaching problem, rather than a regular buildup in the water column from food or waste. Since I'm all the way down to 10 ppb phosphorus I turned off the GFO reactor to see what happens. Also letting nitrates rise with it this time but stopping dosage of NOPOX.

Mark, find your sweet spot. in all levels and work towards it slowly. whether in reduction or addition. This is what i do.

• Like 1

Mark, find your sweet spot. in all levels and work towards it slowly. whether in reduction or addition. This is what i do.

Honestly I think this is why many SPS keepers decide to get rid of a lot of corals other than acros. Acros are looking better in the low PO4 water but the big red cap is fading. It's enough to keep all the damn acros happy. :) Why did the blue tenuis suffer so much while the corals around it showed no ill effects? Why did the Katropora brown out on me last time this (or something similar) happened but not this time? Tenuis hate my tank, I'm 1 for 3 at the moment, and that one doesn't look so hot.

Honestly I think this is why many SPS keepers decide to get rid of a lot of corals other than acros. Acros are looking better in the low PO4 water but the big red cap is fading. It's enough to keep all the damn acros happy. :) Why did the blue tenuis suffer so much while the corals around it showed no ill effects? Why did the Katropora brown out on me last time this (or something similar) happened but not this time? Tenuis hate my tank, I'm 1 for 3 at the moment, and that one doesn't look so hot.

I have many of the same corals, pre-Pohls every one of them was vibrant except two - TWO- frags.

My honest opinion is that there is no stability in your tank, levels fluctuate often, the corals are constantly getting shocked. Not shocked as in oh I'm going to die on you reefer, but shocked enough that they don't know if their zoo is coming or going. If you were to test 3 times a week instead of 3 times a day as you sometimes do, you wouldn't be chasing numbers. I believe that is the key to your tank, stop chasing those numbers. Certainly be on top of it, but allow the tank some room to breathe.

• Like 1