Pod Your Reef

Kat's Birthday Party

metrokat

Yay, I've been waiting for part 2 forever. Great article :)

It's not quite up to the high standards of the butt fish article, though. It's always a shame when people peak early in life :lol:

• Like 3

OK, I told you I'd give you my take on beating the cyano, so here is my take on it.

Cyanobacteria are bacteria, first and foremost, so anything you use to treat or kill it (like chemiclean) will also kill other bacteria, including the beneficial ones (I don't actually know the active ingredients in most of the tank treatment stuff). The caveat, though, is that cyano require light - they are photosynthetic. The other bacteria we want in our tanks are not. They don't need the light.

Ok so here goes.

First, physically remove as much of the cyano as you can, and make sure you are removing it from the water column, via filter sock, skimmer, etc. Clean these things before proceeding so you have as little cyano as possible.

Once you have done that, turn off your skimmer and treat your tank with chemiclean as per the directions. Start this at night so the lights will be out for the duration of the treatment. You probably will want to keep the lights off for the 24 hour duration if possible.

Do a major water change and turn your skimmer on for a couple of hours, just to make sure there is no additional junk. If you can do this and subsequent steps without lights you'll be better off.

Turn off the skimmer and add something like Dr Tim's One and Only, Eco-Balance, etc. Make sure you do this WITHOUT the skimmer or you'll lose the bacteria too quickly. Leave the skimmer off for a few hours and then turn it back on.

From that point on, use physical removal on the small patches of cyano that may stick around and then keep using other bacterial products to help them out.

The whole idea here is that you need a chemical treatment of some kind to kill the cyano that is present, in combination with physical removal methods (scraping, vacuuming, etc), and removal of growth requirements of the cyano to reduce the overall cyano numbers. You then follow that up by adding more beneficial bacteria into the system to outcompete the remaining cyano that is there. It's not easy, and it may not work 100% all of the time, but I think this is a good overall plan.

• Like 2

Sounds good doc. Also you said chemiclean will not work as a dip and I understand why, but then why is cyano only present in spots and now the whole tank or sand bed?

Cyano is likely to be everywhere, which is why the dip won't work. you'll kill the stuff off on the rocks, but any bacteria that are left over and not dead will just grow again in the tank. In addition the leftover bacteria could build up a resistance to the chemiclean (for the same reason bacteria that make us sick gained antibiotic resistance from overprescribing antibiotics and people not following the full regimens) from slight exposures to the antibiotics which are not enough to kill the bacteria but to allow them to adjust to it, which can then allow for those to take hold and possibly transfer their resistance to those still IN the tank, causing all kinds of problems. That's worse case scenario, but in reality, there is cyano everywhere in your tank even if you can't see it, and in order to ensure that it's all gone, you need to treat the whole tank.

• Like 4

Watching Harry Potter Deathly Hallows part 2. I know this but had to write it down and go over it with my nephew to figure it out again.

Elder wand belongs to Dumbledore

Draco disarms Dumbledore so the wand now belongs to Draco.

Draco is unable to kill Dumbledore so Snape does

But since dumbledore was already disarmed the wand did not belong to Snape

Harry steals Dracos wand

Which means all wands that belonged to Draco belonged to Harry

Therefore the Elder wand belonged to Harry now

okay. got it.

• Like 3

Cyano = manually remove as much as possible clean equipment and 3 days lights out. If it comes back either way a week and repeat a 2-3 day light out or do chemi-clean. I don't like using chemi-clean tho because you have to remove your skimmer cup (making the skimmer ineffective) and with a higher food load and biopellets/ carbon dosing thats not really feasible IMO.

Its also a chemical/ bacterial imbalance so if your getting it from dosing vodka or something by itself your either adding to much for your system or not enough of something else which is why I always use 2+ different bacteria/ carbon sources, and if your getting it from a certain source you are likely to continue to get it if you continue to use that source.... even if it appears gone or is treated with chemi-clean. I learned this the hard way with dosing lol Now I use vinegar as well as ecobak and am thinking about starting mb7 or special lift again for a while..... might even grab a bottle of vodka to diversify lol

• Like 2

My interpretation is that the stone was used when he saw those ghost. He could have brought them back but used it to protect himself from death. So when he died he didn't.

I think if he was kadavraed again he would have really died.

I don't rmemeber the exact details of the first question, but the second one has to do with the wand Voldemort used. Since it belonged to Harry it wasn't able to actually kill him, only killed the horcrux portion of him. Which happened to be the piece of Voldemort too

• Like 1

Nope, he dropped the stone before he was killed. Just saw the movie last night.Pages 698 onwards in the book.

He opens the snitch and inside was the stone. He turns the stone over 3 times and then his family appears. He faces Voldemort in the forest and the stone slips from his fingers.

I don't rmemeber the exact details of the first question, but the second one has to do with the wand Voldemort used. Since it belonged to Harry it wasn't able to actually kill him, only killed the horcrux portion of him. Which happened to be the piece of Voldemort too

Yup, this is correct. But then if only a part of him dies, it's clear that he didn't really die and he comes back, but that's stupid, Avada Kadavra kills everything, not parts of something. But maybe because his own wand was used against him, the curse only worked on the part of him that wasn't him - that was Voldemort. Hmmm

• Like 1

I think that's exactly it. A wand can't be used against its owner unless they were truly disarmed. Because Voldemort never disarmed the wand from Harry it couldn't be used to kill him but anything that wasn't him is fair game

• Like 1

Question of the morning, How did Harry come back from death if he had dropped the resurrection stone in the forest?

Also - how can he not be dead dead when he was Avada Kadavaraed?

magic

• Like 2