Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Kat's Birthday Party

metrokat

Why the lights out day Kat?

Should be 3 days. For Cyano. It's not an eyesore by any means, just ever present on some spots.

My TDS out of the membrane is 3, but zero out of the final DI canister. However the DI resin is clearly exhausted so how can I believe these readings?

Has anybody used chemiclean as a dip? I don't have widespread cyano but I have it on some frags and rocks that I can remove for a dip. Wondering if as a dip it is also effective instead of a system wide treatment.

jedimasterben

My TDS out of the membrane is 3, but zero out of the final DI canister. However the DI resin is clearly exhausted so how can I believe these readings?

The color change on DI resin means very little. Trust your TDS meter.

• Like 1

People make things because other people are willing or want to buy them, regardless of their worth. I have no idea about the accuracy of the color changing resin.

• Like 3
jedimasterben

Then why pay extra for the color changing DI resin? And why does spectrapure make it?

Vent hit the nail on the head. Color changing resins actually have less capacity as well as not being all that accurate as they get towards the end.
  • Like 1

Color changing DI resin is inaccurate - it can change based on light, water source, time, etc. TDS meters are a much better, cheaper (in the long run) alternative.

• Like 1

One of my pet peeves in this hobby is not being able to see what the colony looks like. Frags are always different because they are taken from growth tips. Like the Miyagi tort, who knew a tort would grow in a montipora cap formation.

Yes. Yes. Yes. x1000

:rant:

Should be 3 days. For Cyano. It's not an eyesore by any means, just ever present on some spots.

Has anybody used chemiclean as a dip? I don't have widespread cyano but I have it on some frags and rocks that I can remove for a dip. Wondering if as a dip it is also effective instead of a system wide treatment.

I have found that having two DI resin chambers makes life soooo much better. You can use color change in the final and normal in the first. You can even put TDS meter between them and not worry about having bad water if the first DI is near exhaustion since the 2nd one will pick up the slack.

• Like 1
Pinner Reef

Could just be location. Remember, Cyano likes lower flow... but I assume you have no problems there.

Erythromycin would probably be more effective as a dip but if you have some chemi-clean lying around you might give it a shot.

Love the new photos Kat. Is the nook completely finished for you?

-Dave

Thanks Dave. Still have 2 dictionary prints to put up on the wall and to hide the electric wires. I decided not to screw in the cabinet. I guess it's ready. :)

• Like 2

Thanks Dave. Still have 2 dictionary prints to put up on the wall and to hide the electric wires. I decided not to screw in the cabinet. I guess it's ready. :)

RAP NY. Be ready by then. I will stop by and take photos. :)

incredible photos :)

Hypo has a waterproof camera so he just basically dunked his arm in the tank and was trigger happy. I couldn't believe the results. 90% of the images did not need any color or light correction.

So the 1 day lights out fixed the cyano. IT will be back but it helps to beat it back some without chemicals.

• Like 2