Top Shelf Aquatics

Kat's Birthday Party

metrokat

I'm sad to note that Sam the mandarin is on his last legs. He isn't responding too well, has been hiding more since 2 weeks. Found him motionless just now, he's alive but probably not for long. 20.gif

Unlike this

Sorry to hear it.

• Like 1
reefdiver88

Have you tried Home Depot's in store pickup? you can order on line and they (theoretically) have it ready for you to pick up in the store. I've tried it a few times. Its more efficient than wandering the aisles, if you can find what you need on the website. But its not a perfect system. I have occasionally had to wait for them to find something even with on line ordering.

I'm sorry to hear about Sam :(

Do you have any ideas as to why the params are so different between the old and new Red Sea kits? Seems really strange.

I'm sorry to hear about Sam :(

Do you have any ideas as to why the params are so different between the old and new Red Sea kits? Seems really strange.

Could be any number of reasons.

Chemicals in the older kit are contaminated somehow or the test vials aren't clean enough. Could be expired, have to check.

The drops of solutions to be added may not be consistent, there is no way to actually measure the drops put in.

Maybe sunlight exposure or storage temperature affects the viability of the chemicals in the kits.

It's possible that the old kit has different batches of solutions, I've used red sea refills a few times, bought test kits off of people at other times.

Have you tried Home Depot's in store pickup? you can order on line and they (theoretically) have it ready for you to pick up in the store. I've tried it a few times. Its more efficient than wandering the aisles, if you can find what you need on the website. But its not a perfect system. I have occasionally had to wait for them to find something even with on line ordering.

I have. They often don't have items in stock that is supposed to be in stock per the website.

• Like 1

Just cleaned the gyre, the tornado is back. :D

Discovered a broken blade, it's not affecting the flow so it's okay. experimented with vertical placement but turned it horizontal again. Might put it on the back wall if I ever manage to empty the frag racks.

Rich ross' phosphate is insane and he doesn't have brown corals. ;)

That was an awesome video!

I'm sad to note that Sam the mandarin is on his last legs. He isn't responding too well, has been hiding more since 2 weeks. Found him motionless just now, he's alive but probably not for long. 20.gif

Sorry to hear about Sam :(

Errbady's been harping on me for parameters. This is for you harpies. :lol:

Tests are wacky.

ALK

Red Sea Alk 7.6

New Red Sea kit Alk 6.4

CALCIUM

Red Sea Cal 370

New Red Sea kit 420

MAGNESIUM

Red Sea Mag 1000 (did test twice second time 1040)

New Red Sea kit 1120

Salifert Mag 1470

PHOS

Salifert Phosphate between 0.03 and 0.10

Red Sea phosphate 0.36

NITRATE

Salifert Nitrate between 5 and 10

Red Sea Nitrate 2ppm

Historically, all numbers are about in range. Phosphate is higher than normal if you go with the red sea numbers. Corals aren't brown so not sure if I should go with the salifert results.

I'd believe the salifert over the Red Sea lol Your phosphates aren't that high at .03-.1 really, If your shooting for ULNS then sure, but I know your not. IMO your within an acceptable range for an experienced reefer.

Everything else seems a bit low.... unless the higher #s are the more accurate ones..... stupid test kits. Do you have a doser?

Rich ross' phosphate is insane and he doesn't have brown corals. ;)

He also has an old large established tank. He even said in the small portion I could stand to watch that he slowly increased his neglect for the tank..... and from what I could see it doesn't look like he has really added alot (so corals adapted to the change, not like he was adding new pieces and they were doing excellent with the big difference), and growth didn't seem to impressive for 3-4 yrs from the couple pics I seen. Sure he might have done some fragging to maintain sizes but I didn't pay attention long enough to see if he mentioned anything about it. Color was good, but there are alot of factors that go into that and it isn't 100% solely on phosphates ;)

Very hardy coral. I wish it came in more colors. It's been fragged a lot over the years too.

I want a frag! I can't find one ever! LOL

Sorry kat :(

• Like 1

I have grown such an emotional attachment to my mandy already so it sucks to hear about sam =[. These are by far the most beautiful fish imo.

• Like 1

I'd believe the salifert over the Red Sea lol Your phosphates aren't that high at .03-.1 really, If your shooting for ULNS then sure, but I know your not. IMO your within an acceptable range for an experienced reefer.

Everything else seems a bit low.... unless the higher #s are the more accurate ones..... stupid test kits. Do you have a doser?

Yup, dosers are online. Adjusted for Alk today.

I have grown such an emotional attachment to my mandy already so it sucks to hear about sam =[. These are by far the most beautiful fish imo.

:( He hasn't moved from the spot he is in for about 4 hours now. He's still breathing.

Sorry kat :(

:( Thanks Eugene. :(

I want a frag! I can't find one ever! LOL

You sure you don't want the colony?

I may have to watch that video when I get home tonight, if I can remember.

:slap: set a reminder.

Polarcollision

I'm not worried about my phosphate and nitrate levels. Visually my tank looks good to me. I have some high nutrient related troubles like a few patches of cyano which I am working to reduce now that I am home. I am worried about the alk and calcium. I've been working to raise the alk and it is not responding. Maybe it's the weather, between Markalot, Jedibear, Arce and a few others, it seems the ALK is not increasing even after upping the dosing. Has to be a function of aliens.

The RS mg test gives me skewed results if the vial wasn't cleaned w/ vinegar each time. Any chance that applies? Have any coralline growth taking off? Bacterial growth?

Sorry to hear about Sam

If I may make some recommendations:

Alk: Hanna all day long.

Calc: Red Sea has been good in my experience, but usually reads like 40ppm low for me (I take mid point between endpoint and start of color shift)

Mag: Red Sea reads again like 40 low

Phos: Hanna ULR Phosphorus. All the rest i've tried as so far off its not even worth owning them.

Nitrate: Salifert has been a recent addition of mine. Seems much more accurate then red sea but hard to tell.

For all else: Triton. (Also makes a good reference - thats how I know how off some of those are)

• Like 1

The RS mg test gives me skewed results if the vial wasn't cleaned w/ vinegar each time. Any chance that applies? Have any coralline growth taking off? Bacterial growth?

Sorry to hear about Sam

Coralline is there, actually just starting to become irritable. Innoculated the tank with a fresh batch of uncured rock and I add bio digest, dr tims, microbelift so yes I've got a lot of bacteria,