Cultivated Reef

AI prime wifi LED

reefernanoman

You tell me why i should buy a used (and it is used) Prime for retail price when i can get a new one with full (original purchaser) warranty and free shipping.

Ya used about an hour. With full warranty as it hasn't been registered. And it is still free shipping. So ya you save $15.

aviator300

I thought about it but checked with ecotech (who now owns AI) and they said warranted to "original "purchaser" only with copy of receipt showing who purchased it.

I thought about it but checked with ecotech (who now owns AI) and they said warranted to "original "purchaser" only with copy of receipt showing who purchased it.

lol. That couldn't be further from the truth. I've warrantied Vortech Pumps and AI Nano lights that were used and I wasn't the original purchaser more than one time.

I'm really tempted to just run these on max since the par numbers seem so slow. I bet my par38 are outputting more than the primes as well. The par38 that I have visually look twice as bright as the primes when cranked, easily... And they're full spectrum as well.

For gits and shiggles I tested the par under a photon 32. The light is suspended 6-7" above the water and with the sensor almost directly under the light 8" below the water line the par meter was reading 1260.

• Like 1

Have you noticed they changed the par specs on the Ai prime product page? They used to say 500 umol now they say 260 umol

If that is true then this is grounds for a lawsuit for false advertising. Anyone have a screenshot or maybe a page cache of the old info?

While underpowered I don't think they planned to use this light on anything much bigger than a 18x18 cube.

jedimasterben

If that is true then this is grounds for a lawsuit for false advertising. Anyone have a screenshot or maybe a page cache of the old info?

I can't find one cached of their site, but I'd imagine that all the 'reef news' sites will have the original info, and Marine Depot had on their blog the original info with an 'updated' version.

PAR readings at 12" are kinda shitty. There is absolutely no way that it does more than 12"x12" area at that distance with 80 degree optics. AI is smokin some serious crack if they think that 30x30 is on the table.

• Like 1

I can't find one cached of their site, but I'd imagine that all the 'reef news' sites will have the original info, and Marine Depot had on their blog the original info with an 'updated' version.

PAR readings at 12" are kinda shitty. There is absolutely no way that it does more than 12"x12" area at that distance with 80 degree optics. AI is smokin some serious crack if they think that 30x30 is on the table.

Exactly. Like I said 18x18 max. Obviously with limitations in coral placement.

There is no way this light will put out 260 under 12" of water. It barely puts out 150 under 8". AI is seriously making BOLD statements with this light.

There is no way this light will put out 260 under 12" of water. It barely puts out 150 under 8". AI is seriously making BOLD statements with this light.

Those measurements aren't under water. The measurements are directly under the light in air.........

Wayback machine to the rescue

http://web.archive.org/web/20150315012818/http://www.aquaillumination.com/lighting/prime/

• Like 2
aviator300

Good ole NanoBox Dave is probably laughing so hard he'll split a gut. Hahah.

I am SOOOOO glad i decided on a DUO rather than almost purchasing a Prime to try to save a few bucks. AIs claims almost got me.

• Like 2

The disparity in the numbers is rather curious.

I posit that the simply halved the hydra 26's par measurements for that graph instead of actually measuring the output and forgot to account the output differences between royal blue and cool blue.

I am very happy with mine. Although its on a tiny Tank. I stated earlier in this thread that I thought the light targeted to the nano market. If AI is doing some shenanigans with the PAR numbers shame on them. Mine supports my shrooms and acans @ 30% and for $200 with the controlability you cant beat it. I was also under the impression that you cant get accurate PAR readings from a led fixture under water....I could be wrong about that.

I was willing to give them the benefit of The doubt when I started seeing the actual par#s come out, I have heard also that is is hard to get accurate reading with leds, but to see they have changed the literature of the light just shows you something was up, I would have never purchased these lights with those numbers.

jedimasterben

I was also under the impression that you cant get accurate PAR readings from a led fixture under water....I could be wrong about that.

Why would that be? Water doesn't change anything about the light, only distance does. Only way water could is if it had significant particulates or gelbstoff in the water, which even neglected tanks usually don't have. ;)

As for them not getting an accurate reading, Ecotech can afford a Licor meter to get a closer reading to actual, so there is no reason for them to not give accurate numbers.

What kind of par readings would a fixture of this wattage be expected to produce? Aren't the leds used in the Prime similar to those used elsewhere in the hobby?

jedimasterben

What kind of par readings would a fixture of this wattage be expected to produce? Aren't the leds used in the Prime similar to those used elsewhere in the hobby?

Too much blue, not enough royal blue. The LEDs themselves are 'cheaper' diodes probably in lower bins to keep cost as low as possible. With 80 degree optics, PAR should be far higher at 12" and ~50w power consumption for the whole board.

TheKingInYellow

So has anyone approached AI about getting a refund on the light now that the advertised performance is clearly incorrect?

jedimasterben

So has anyone approached AI about getting a refund on the light now that the advertised performance is clearly incorrect?

AI would not do anything like that, you'd need to take it up with the retailer you purchased it from.