Pod Your Reef

AI prime wifi LED

reefernanoman

Mozby's Reef

Hi All, 

Totally new to the hobby here. I bought the AI Prime HD as it seemed provide excellent performance for the price point. However, I was disappointed to see the finish look so bad. It looked all scuffed up and gives the impression that its used or just had poor build quality. The seal on the package was not broken and I got confirmation from BRS that it was new. I also had them send a replacement after they had agreed the finish looked bad (based on pics I sent). But the second one looked bad too. For those who only care about the performance of the product and not the look, I can respect that... but I was hoping they could've at least make it look nice for $200 (totally understand that is considered cheap in the reefing world). Does anyone else notice the poor finish of the AI Prime or did I just get a bad batch? Thanks.

AIPrimebadfinish.jpg

SouthFlorida_Tron
16 hours ago, Mozby's Reef said:

Hi All, 

Totally new to the hobby here. I bought the AI Prime HD as it seemed provide excellent performance for the price point. However, I was disappointed to see the finish look so bad. It looked all scuffed up and gives the impression that its used or just had poor build quality. The seal on the package was not broken and I got confirmation from BRS that it was new. I also had them send a replacement after they had agreed the finish looked bad (based on pics I sent). But the second one looked bad too. For those who only care about the performance of the product and not the look, I can respect that... but I was hoping they could've at least make it look nice for $200 (totally understand that is considered cheap in the reefing world). Does anyone else notice the poor finish of the AI Prime or did I just get a bad batch? Thanks.

AIPrimebadfinish.jpg

not normal... bas production batch? should be smooth 

• 3 years later...
jjmccloud2011
On 3/26/2015 at 9:15 AM, reefernanoman said:

From what I have read, it looks like you just program it initially, then the light takes it from there and no wifi is needed. That's how I have understood it.

Anyone else vouch for this before I pull the trigger on the prime HD for my evo 13.5? I have a hotspot on my phone to use to connect but running a connection 24/7 isn't an option so I'm hoping I only need for set up and programming 😅 

4 hours ago, jjmccloud2011 said:

Anyone else vouch for this before I pull the trigger on the prime HD for my evo 13.5? I have a hotspot on my phone to use to connect but running a connection 24/7 isn't an option so I'm hoping I only need for set up and programming 😅 

It doesn’t need wifi at all, it acts as a modem and you connect your phone to the lights directly using your phones WiFi for set up and adjusting without using internet. Hope that makes sense. 

ps this thread is three years old. 😉 

Murphs_Reef
17 hours ago, jjmccloud2011 said:

Yep only need to connect to the app if you want to change your schedule. Once your setup, you'll likely not connect to it again for a long time 

jjmccloud2011
7 hours ago, Murphych said:

Yep only need to connect to the app if you want to change your schedule. Once your setup, you'll likely not connect to it again for a long time 

Awesome thats exactly the answer I was hoping for!