ReefCleaners.org

AI prime wifi LED

reefernanoman

3 is pushing my budget....

Might want to reconsider the dimensions of the tank. This is the cheapest, usable lighting option for a tank that long IMO.

Unless you used a 48" T5HO fixture suspended high enough for the light to spread the 60".

http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaticLife_T5_HO_4_Lamp_Light_Fixtures_w_Lunar_LEDs_24_Inch_T5_Fluorescent_Light_Fixtures-AquaticLife-AK01035-FILTFIT54U-vi.html

tjwaggoner

I would think 3 wouldn't be enough. AI support told me I would need 2 for a 24" tank so I'm thinking you would need at a minimum, 4 preferably 5 for a 60".

The tank I'm building is 40b dimensions. Actually slightly bigger. I've seen them in person and have no doubt in my mind 2 will cover my size tank. I'm doing 36x20x14. Shorter but deeper. Same width. These cover 18x18 with very good numbers. 20x20 is great as well.

That's a perfect size tank. Are you having it built or are you building it?

I just picked up this light to replace a Marineland reef capable light with the digital timer. This is a huge step in the right direction for control, color, and output over small tanks. My old light was utter garbage compared to this.

Just a small tip to those of you trying to figure out the lunar cycle mode. I had the hardest time trying to understand how to set it up. It appears that as it was stated previously, lunar doesn't add to the light that the lamp puts out, it modifies it. If you use easy mode, you will see the lights are never off, just at a low output after sunset and sunrise. If it is currently a full moon, it will not dim the lights down at any time between the start and stop of the lunar time you set. However, if it's a half full moon, it will reduce your light output by 50% during the time lunar is active. The default 12am to 12am must be changed to reflect sunset and sunrise. It will modify the light output, by reducing all leds by the percentage of the current moon phase. If you leave it on a 24hr cycle, it will dim your daytime output. Start your lunar cycle at absolute lights out (and add an event on the time line for the brightest you want it to be during a full moon), end at the start of your ramp up. Also, it appears that while we can set percentage on the led intensities, there are more steps, so setting a 1% on any leds doesn't mean that at a half moon it will be off. The lights can get incredibly dim, looks amazing!

I hope this helps, I know it's a long post, but there is quite a lack of documentation. My goal is to have another spawn event, so I am hoping a good lunar cycle will help.

I am growing sps under the light, using the 16k dial. My light is at the lowest it will go on the rail, so approximately 5 inches from water. Sps is another 3 or 4 inches down. I am using a 20h, but my coverage is great despite lots of negative reports on PAR. I think the leds are hitting the sweet spots in the PUR of the PAR, so people are getting good growth despite low output.

Who is growing sps and how far away from the light are they? In thinking of putting one over my fusion 10....tia

I have mine on a 29 gallon cube, the prime is fully extended, I have everything at a custom percentage for each color but averaged out its around 55-60% light intensity. I have birds next mid/high on the edge of the tank and a nice piece of digita high level almost right under the center of light, also multiple sps pieces at all ranges. Everything looks great, full healthy polyp extension, good color, I also DIY 4 cree royal blue leds to my fixture to add more blue. I don't think I will buy another prime for any future tanks but definitely love it for 29 gallons and smaller cube:)

I'd suspect ai will ditch the director and all future 26 and 52 type units will be upgraded to the same wifi inside. The only major difference that I can tell is the 26 and 52 are essentially using the same led puck and lens plate, minus a built in director.

That's a perfect size tank. Are you having it built or are you building it?

I'm having this one built. I've built all my tanks and they turned out pretty good but this one I want perfect. Now I have the money so the extra $200 I'd save building it wasn't worth it.

I'd suspect ai will ditch the director and all future 26 and 52 type units will be upgraded to the same wifi inside. The only major difference that I can tell is the 26 and 52 are essentially using the same led puck and lens plate, minus a built in director.

If they stay with the current pricing for the 26 and 52 (with added wifi), I'd happily purchase one over the prime.

reefernanoman

BEFORE PRIME

DSC_0111_zpsc95b27a8.jpg

AFTER PRIME

IMG_0108_zpsqno2402i.jpg

I am a very happy customer. ;)

Wow, excelent before and after! What light were you using before the prime? It has sur worked very well for you indeed.
  • Like 1

Wow, excelent before and after! What light were you using before the prime? It has sur worked very well for you indeed.

I had the stock cad lights led

I had the stock cad lights led

Your before and after photo. Were those taken the same day or how long was the delay from the first before pic to the after pic? Crazy difference in size and color of your corals!

Nanofreak79

MD was lighting a 20" cube with it. Granted the par won't be great on those outer edges. If you really like them, buy two now and a third or fourth later. I think there pretty dope, just don't have a use for one.

Your before and after photo. Were those taken the same day or how long was the delay from the first before pic to the after pic? Crazy difference in size and color of your corals!

about 6 months between the pics. here is one 9 days before prime.

IMG_0118_2%201_zpspadpqhhx.jpg

this is 18 days later

IMG_0125%203_zpsnq0463of.jpg

• Like 3

Ok, I think I have gotten over the hump and will buy 4 primes. I feel that with a 60x18x12, I will need at least 3 XR15Pros which will end up costing 1,617 (3xlights + 3xmount) vs 4 primes which will run about 900.

Hopefully this will be enough for mixed reef with sps directly under the lights.

• Like 2
soeminpaing

Have you considered two hydra 52? If I were you I would go with 52 rather than prime. I also bought prime for my IM fusion 20. I was tight on the budget so I cant buy XR15 pro which is my first choice. The good thing is I can buy another prime for more coverage if needed and both of them still cost same as XR15.