ReefCleaners.org

AI prime wifi LED

reefernanoman

After reading lots of AI prime, I was super excited to unbox my white AI prime an hr ago. Right after I plugged it in, synced with my iPhone to control the light, as the lights turned on for the first time I noticed obnoxiously loud buzzing noise that I believe is coming from the fan area. ( I watched the instruction video and read up to make sure I stay the hell away from the metal grill on top of the fan).

I can hear the white driver at but only if my ear is practically on it. From anywhere else in the room the unit is silent.

PaultheAddict

I can hear the white driver at but only if my ear is practically on it. From anywhere else in the room the unit is silent.

Can't figure out how to directly embed a video on here..... I can definitely hear it from across the room. Is yours this loud?

https://vid.me/e/T4Qd

For some reason they are hard to connect the first time. It took mine probably 20 mins until it connected. I did end up sending it back to AI to get my money back though. haha

What lighting are you going with?

After reading lots of AI prime, I was super excited to unbox my white AI prime an hr ago. Right after I plugged it in, synced with my iPhone to control the light, as the lights turned on for the first time I noticed obnoxiously loud buzzing noise that I believe is coming from the fan area. ( I watched the instruction video and read up to make sure I stay the hell away from the metal grill on top of the fan).

After playing with the manual settings, I realized that the noise only comes on when I turn white or blue anywhere from 1%-99%.. Is this normal? I watched videos on YouTube and everyone else's light doesn't seem to be making loud noises. Which makes me feel totally disappointed, I guess I shouldn't have been super excited about it.. Makes it even more frustrating.

This is why I will never purchase from AI again. Mine also buzzes (on white and blue). Called AI for a replacement and asked them to bench test the light for noise before shipment. Replacement arrives and makes the same buzzing noise. They tell me it's "within engineering tolerances" and they will only replace one more time and then no more. I ask them what assurances I have that my second replacement will not buzz and get no reply. They just act likes its no big deal and I'm the only one having this problem...obviously not the case. It has been very frustrating dealing with this company. They are friendly in their responses, but don't expect much from them as far as actually fixing this problem. I've gotten used to the noise, it's really not terrible and hard to hear from more than a few feet away...but not what I expected from a $200 light.

SouthFlorida_Tron

Sucks. Between my cousin and I we have three and all are whisper silent.

Hopefully third time's the charm for you!

What lighting are you going with?

2 Radion XR30s with wide lenses.

This is why I will never purchase from AI again. Mine also buzzes (on white and blue). Called AI for a replacement and asked them to bench test the light for noise before shipment. Replacement arrives and makes the same buzzing noise. They tell me it's "within engineering tolerances" and they will only replace one more time and then no more. I ask them what assurances I have that my second replacement will not buzz and get no reply. They just act likes its no big deal and I'm the only one having this problem...obviously not the case. It has been very frustrating dealing with this company. They are friendly in their responses, but don't expect much from them as far as actually fixing this problem. I've gotten used to the noise, it's really not terrible and hard to hear from more than a few feet away...but not what I expected from a $200 light.

So do as I did and call them up and ask for a refund. I sent my light and mount back and they sent me a check. They even paid return shipping.

• Like 1
SouthFlorida_Tron

Not to nit pick your bad luck but two radions over your tank is Extremely different than two primes?!....

How did you go from $400 in lights to $1200??

Partially Submerged

Well, I've had my Prime up for about a week, and I have been very pleased. My corals seem to be responding very well. On the bottom tier, my ricordeas (both yuma and florida) are stretching wide, and my trumpet coral is finally getting serious about splitting. Everything looks very full and lush. Acans look great in the new light and also seem full and happy. Near the top, I have a birdsnest and a plate monti. I haven't seen much difference in growth (both grew well before), but they seem very happy. There is another plate monti that hasn't been doing anything for months. It will be interesting to see if it decides to take off now.

Bottom line is everything looks at least as happy as before - many look happier. I am considering adding one of the Par30 back as a spotlight for the SPS and then maybe add a more demanding species. We'll see.

I also have no buzzing that I can hear, no issues with the mounting arm, or anything like that. So far, I'm more than impressed with the light.

• Like 1
pygmy angel harem

If someone calls AI do you think they would walk me through the setup? I tried to setup on my iPod first then setup with my pc and mixed the two up. I also want to know how to save settings to a file. Anyone have the AI phone number?

HarryPotter

2 Radion XR30s with wide lenses.

So do as I did and call them up and ask for a refund. I sent my light and mount back and they sent me a check. They even paid return shipping.

Not to nit pick your bad luck but two radions over your tank is Extremely different than two primes?!....How did you go from $400 in lights to $1200??

Same question haha

Well, I've had my Prime up for about a week, and I have been very pleased. My corals seem to be responding very well. On the bottom tier, my ricordeas (both yuma and florida) are stretching wide, and my trumpet coral is finally getting serious about splitting. Everything looks very full and lush. Acans look great in the new light and also seem full and happy. Near the top, I have a birdsnest and a plate monti. I haven't seen much difference in growth (both grew well before), but they seem very happy. There is another plate monti that hasn't been doing anything for months. It will be interesting to see if it decides to take off now.

Bottom line is everything looks at least as happy as before - many look happier. I am considering adding one of the Par30 back as a spotlight for the SPS and then maybe add a more demanding species. We'll see.

I also have no buzzing that I can hear, no issues with the mounting arm, or anything like that. So far, I'm more than impressed with the light.

Awesome! My AI Prime will be arriving this Friday along with my 10g IM Fusion. Pretty excited about this light!

I have my Prime on a Fusion 20 and love the light.The mounting arm was a little difficult at first because i couldnt get the bolt started that goes into the actual light.Some patience and persistance payed off in the end.No buzzing.The IOS interface is great once you know how to use it.The instructions left a lot to be desired.Overall I like the light.

Can someone give me the preset 14k settings, from what I read the 20k settings are r/g/w-17 and b/db/v/uv-100, I guess the iOS app doesn't have the preset levels options.

Can someone give me the preset 14k settings, from what I read the 20k settings are r/g/w-17 and b/db/v/uv-100, I guess the iOS app doesn't have the preset levels options.

just up the r/g/w to 44 thats 14k @ 100%

You may know already, but on the web interface you can switch to color temperature mode by clicking the little concentric circles. That makes it really easy to set the color temp you want and the intensity, and makes programming the daily cycle easier as well. I use it almost exclusively.

yeah I know, thats where I got those #'s from. I don't think DRS1685 is seeing that icon though. I would try to describe it, but I have absolutely no idea how lol! If someone has a pic of the icon, that might help him. if you go to controls -> Manual, look towards the top for a "Target" icon that appears to be missing the bottom part of the lines, click on that. That's the best I can do. :)

yeah I know, thats where I got those #'s from. I don't think DRS1685 is seeing that icon though. I would try to describe it, but I have absolutely no idea how lol! If someone has a pic of the icon, that might help him. if you go to controls -> Manual, look towards the top for a "Target" icon that appears to be missing the bottom part of the lines, click on that. That's the best I can do. :)

i did not know you could do that. very cool. thanks

Nanofreak79

This is all very useful info for me and deciding on the unit.........but does anyone post some pics? Good or bad and really show the mounts/units on different tanks etc. etc.

I just put a second one on my 24" cube, 18" high. At 18k it looks fantastic, just enough white to make it look like blue daylight, maybe 5-6' deep on the reef. As I mentioned above, the first one has a slight driver noise on the white channel, but only if I put my ear right on it. This one makes no sound at all at 100% intensity.

Its possible for you to tell me the settings of your prime? Thank you

Just search through the thread and you will find tons of settings as well if you flip back a page or 2 you should find the AI Settings thread i started awhile back. I currently have been using 20k @ 100% And have seen the best results with that and sticking with it