Pod Your Reef

AI prime wifi LED

reefernanoman

What size if your tank?

36*18*17

The lights are 10 inches above the water and that was the initial settings which was 60 eveything

OCNcheffy

Don't you find that setting the white higher than 30-40% makes all the other colors washed out? I have mine set to 20% cw with everything else in the high 70-80% mark.

jedimasterben

Don't you find that setting the white higher than 30-40% makes all the other colors washed out? I have mine set to 20% cw with everything else in the high 70-80% mark.

Define 'washed out'.

OCNcheffy

Define 'washed out'.

Everything just looks like it's white, and no blue/violet tint. In other words, I love the deep blue look but you can't really notice it with anything higher than 50% on the whites. My par38 lights have an amazing ratio to blue/white and almost looks better than the prime.

CrazyEyes

The buzz is caused by the drivers. The PWM signal going to it is not 'clean' enough or is not the correct frequency. I had the same problem with LDD drivers. Using a Bluefish controller, the bitches buzzed like my mancave was full of bees, 580Hz. The Bluefish Mini, however, at 400Hz keeps the drivers from buzzing.

AI doesn't have a fix for the buzzing because they do not have a new model with an updated PCB yet using new drivers, new controller, or a combination, or just reprogramming the controller to send a different PWM frequency. If they have to change the hardware, expect it to take many weeks or months to do so.

Mine did the exact same thing on a typhon,

jedimasterben

Everything just looks like it's white, and no blue/violet tint. In other words, I love the deep blue look but you can't really notice it with anything higher than 50% on the whites. My par38 lights have an amazing ratio to blue/white and almost looks better than the prime.

That doesn't mean that anything is 'washed out', though. You like it blue, others not so much. ;)

OCNcheffy

That doesn't mean that anything is 'washed out', though. You like it blue, others not so much. ;)

Hmm, I feel like I should give it another chance with just one prime on my tank and turn off the par38's. I do want to sell them and get two primes if I can get the color where I want it. I'll try 40% white with the other settings much higher and see how it looks.

Hmm, I feel like I should give it another chance with just one prime on my tank and turn off the par38's. I do want to sell them and get two primes if I can get the color where I want it. I'll try 40% white with the other settings much higher and see how it looks.

You have to do some manual adjustments to set it to where you like. I tried to do as much research as possible on these lights before I got them and still had questions so right now its trial and error phase.

here's my current setting I came up with.

17406032956_700c2af5fe_c.jpgScreenshot_2015-05-08-14-59-01 by Sealab2035, on Flickr

I just stick to the factory setting at 15k and adjust intensity. I've tried tweaking the colors slightly, in the grand scheme of things I don't see too much of a difference.

Big fan of my Prime!

utTTYO1l.jpg

I really want to see par readings if someone has them. 100% obviously :)

Its actually perfect for this tank!

CrazyEyes

Par numbers. Light is 11.5" above the water line. The sensor was place directly under the fixture 7" below the water line. With all the channels cranked to 100% I was only getting between 130-140 PAR.

• Like 2
nanoreeFan

Thanks CrazyEyes, a lot of folks have been waiting for this. The AI company site should mention their par ratings were above water.

FlamingPrawn

Par numbers. Light is 11.5" above the water line. The sensor was place directly under the fixture 7" below the water line. With all the channels cranked to 100% I was only getting between 130-140 PAR.

Would it be possible for you get get readings at 1" increments? Those numbers seem really low :( Are you using the mount? The Prime Mount on the fusion is only 9" above the water line.

CrazyEyes

I will later tonight. I mainly wanted to check spots on the rocks where the coral would be (SPS). Once I saw how low the number was I gave up. And that 11.5" is from the very bottom of the light to the water line. I thought it was a water clarity issue but a friend using a prime over a 29 biocube and said he came up with similar low results.

OCNcheffy

Kinda disappointing par numbers.. I have the prime and it does seem very bright and powerful when cranked up to 100%. It only seems super bright when you crank up the whites though.. Unlike the radions.

CrazyEyes

Interesting though, my friend who has the BC29 has acros encrusting and doing great and he said the par meter is only reading 50 around some of them. I know LEDs have always been a pain to measure under par meters and get accurate results. I guess we'll see.

FlamingPrawn

I'm growing my FrogSkin acro very well under it. it's near the top of the tank. My toadstool is out on the edges of the fusion 20 and doing very well. Chalice/ Blasto/ and zoos all near the bottom. Anemone kinda did his own thing and found his happy spot

Onceci get everything stable I'm going to try something cheap as a test, if not I'll sell it and get something else. Maybe I should add another one over the tank

I was playing with mine today and the thing is a beauty. Finally got it. Won't be keeping it though as the spread isn't enough for my tank. The control of this thing is great and the form factor. What a nice little light.

That said anyone want to buy a Prime and mount? haha

• Like 1

Mine are supposed to be here Wednesday. Already called AI and they sent out the new parts to fix my mounts (that's great customer service). I've got two going over a fusion 30l and from the sounds of it, it should plenty of coverage. Actually thinking about a 3rd for my 5 gallon spec, but might wait until I get the other two hooked up and running.

• Like 2
aviator300

I was playing with mine today and the thing is a beauty. Finally got it. Won't be keeping it though as the spread isn't enough for my tank. The control of this thing is great and the form factor. What a nice little light.

That said anyone want to buy a Prime and mount? haha

You tell me why i should buy a used (and it is used) Prime for retail price when i can get a new one with full (original purchaser) warranty and free shipping.