Cultivated Reef

AI prime wifi LED

reefernanoman

jedimasterben

So essentially that's means I will never reach those max par levels if I keep everything at 50% Is that correct?

Correct. The nature of the beast.

Does anyone else notice that when you set the CW and B to anything less that 100% or 0%, there's a buzzing noise?

I just got mine yesterday and notice that when I start moving the CW or B, it start buzzing; like the fan or something started working harder.

Thanks.

I'd love a recording of this buzzing noise everyone keeps hearing.

Very difficult to tell if it's a bad thing without getting the sound myself.

nismo_sky32

Does anyone else notice that when you set the CW and B to anything less that 100% or 0%, there's a buzzing noise?

I just got mine yesterday and notice that when I start moving the CW or B, it start buzzing; like the fan or something started working harder.

Thanks.

Mine does the same exact thing

Thanks.

I actually had AI send me a new light, the new one made the same noise. Needless to say, I think it's normal.

In my experience noise should only be generated by mechanical or electromechanical components. Without listening to the sound I can't say for certain if it's alright or not. Unfortunately all my lfs don't sell AI products.

Thanks.

Got an update from Ai, it seems like this noise vary from unit to unit, its due to the dimming of the LEDs. They are willing to arrange for a replacement if you choose to; that is only fix for this but Ai cannot guarantee that the new light won't make the same noise.

nismo_sky32

So far no noise for me. Just a whole lot of growth.

The buzz is so quiet that I can only hear it when I'm withing a foot or two of the unit. Hopefully I'll see some growth soon.

Got an update from Ai, it seems like this noise vary from unit to unit, its due to the dimming of the LEDs. They are willing to arrange for a replacement if you choose to; that is only fix for this but Ai cannot guarantee that the new light won't make the same noise.

So essentially the cause is poor part tolerances in the dimming circuit. - _ -

• Like 1
OCNcheffy

Received my unit today! Pretty happy with it, but I think it looks better with my full spectrium par38 lights on each side of the prime.. Not as bright as I had thought either but I guess It's only one puck, and I have a 24" long tank too. It replaced my orbit marine, so all in all, I have a fancy accent light again that can do ramp timing and color adjustments. Oh, and my mount caused the light to droop as well.. put in a ticket with AI to have them ship me the repair kit.

Here's some pics:

RJdT2kg.jpg

5vxlGpw.jpg

They can't guarantee the new light won't make the same noise....that's BS. How about they test it first. If they are saying it's varying from unit to unit, they're practically admitting that the problem is a defect on their end. I hate to be negative about this company considering they do have a good reputation for customer support, however I'm not seeing it right now. I got my replacement...buzzed just like the first one.

• Like 1

Received my unit today! Pretty happy with it, but I think it looks better with my full spectrium par38 lights on each side of the prime.. Not as bright as I had thought either but I guess It's only one puck, and I have a 24" long tank too. It replaced my orbit marine, so all in all, I have a fancy accent light again that can do ramp timing and color adjustments. Oh, and my mount caused the light to droop as well.. put in a ticket with AI to have them ship me the repair kit.

Here's some pics:

RJdT2kg.jpg

5vxlGpw.jpg

Holy!!!!! thats such a nice tank! How is the coverage with just the prime? I want to put this over the fusion 20 but its packed up for home reno..

Partially Submerged

Hm, I only hear static, some background noises, and maybe a tiny little hum. Doesn't sound so bad unless the static is causes by the light.

Man, I was so close to pulling the trigger on this light. I guess if something is too good to be true, it just usually is.

jedimasterben

The buzz is caused by the drivers. The PWM signal going to it is not 'clean' enough or is not the correct frequency. I had the same problem with LDD drivers. Using a Bluefish controller, the bitches buzzed like my mancave was full of bees, 580Hz. The Bluefish Mini, however, at 400Hz keeps the drivers from buzzing.

AI doesn't have a fix for the buzzing because they do not have a new model with an updated PCB yet using new drivers, new controller, or a combination, or just reprogramming the controller to send a different PWM frequency. If they have to change the hardware, expect it to take many weeks or months to do so.

• Like 1
OCNcheffy

Holy!!!!! thats such a nice tank! How is the coverage with just the prime? I want to put this over the fusion 20 but its packed up for home ren

I'd say you need two for sure for the fusion 20. That tank is the same length as mine and I need to have the cool white cranked to even try and hit the remaining corners of the tank, but that really drowns out the color so.. If you can, get two primes and you'll be loving them. Thanks for the compliment as well!

Question, what does the lunar mode do? As far as my settings go, I have the lights set to 0% at a certain time at night for them to turn off. Does lunar mode do this automatically?

Thanks

• Like 1

The buzz is caused by the drivers. The PWM signal going to it is not 'clean' enough or is not the correct frequency. I had the same problem with LDD drivers. Using a Bluefish controller, the bitches buzzed like my mancave was full of bees, 580Hz. The Bluefish Mini, however, at 400Hz keeps the drivers from buzzing.

And this is why my newest ... :ninja: project :ninja: ... is taking so long.

OCNcheffy

Just spoke with an AI rep and he told me to turn the half moon shaped clamp around, which should cause more grip to the ball joint. I'm at work and cant try this, but did this work for anyone else?

*EDIT*

Turning this clamp around resolved the drooping issue for me.

I'd say you need two for sure for the fusion 20. That tank is the same length as mine and I need to have the cool white cranked to even try and hit the remaining corners of the tank, but that really drowns out the color so.. If you can, get two primes and you'll be loving them. Thanks for the compliment as well!

Question, what does the lunar mode do? As far as my settings go, I have the lights set to 0% at a certain time at night for them to turn off. Does lunar mode do this automatically?

Thanks

Can you get a few pics of just the prime on? I'm planning on using 2 on my 36x20x14 tank but I might change my mind.

ravens243

I just saw one of these at my local fish/coral store called Kings of Coral. The tank he had it on was a 20x20 and it looked absolutely magnificent. He said it has been running at 60% and it was loaded with sps, which looked stunning. I was planning on getting a kessil or hydra, but after seeing this in action with the built in programming for a controller, I was sold instantly. I have a jbj 28g which is 22x22 and I plan on purchasing one. The coverage on this light looks like a strong 18". His coral placement was all over the place and everything looked very healthy.