Coral Vue Hydros

Rock Flower Anemone Information and Appreciation Thread

Mirya

FlowerMama

Yeah Harry my eyes zoomed in right away. Funny how they do that.

Thank you guys. Have a good night!!

No reason to apologize for size!

• Like 1
HarryPotter

Yeah Harry my eyes zoomed in right away. Funny how they do that.

I counted 6, all orange with white skirts but I think the color changes as they develop :)

• Like 1

I know it's an old thread but I thought I'd add to it. I've had one of these in my nano for about a year and the disc is probably about 3-4" across.

Reading the article it seems that most stay in 1 place. Mine however changes position at least once a week. :(

Also I now have a baby one appeared. So I'm not really sure how that happened?

I'll post some pictures when I get home. :)

• Like 2
getmealemon

Big problem with one of my nems....had it about two months, over the last 3 days or so it looks as if it's melting from one side. There are 2 zoas next to it but i've not had any problems with them stinging before. Any ideas?

DSCF1365_zpsodthbnui.jpg

FlowerMama

I've never seen that. Nothing that is stinging it from afar either like a euphylia? What's near it? When did this start?

My tiny reef

Big problem with one of my nems....had it about two months, over the last 3 days or so it looks as if it's melting from one side. There are 2 zoas next to it but i've not had any problems with them stinging before. Any ideas?

DSCF1365_zpsodthbnui.jpg

That doesn't look good, but I can't tell if the tentacles on that side are actually melted away or if they are covered with something the nem is expelling. Could anything be bothering it or tear at its foot? I've heard fire worms can sometimes bother them. I'm still not clear on the difference with fire worms and bristle worms because I have a lot of bristle worms with no harm to the nems. I've lost two RFAs and unfortually when they start going down hill there wasn't much I could do. I've heard to try to put them in a container to limit flow, possibly a dip in case there is a tear, and try to feed. If it really starts melting apart you may want to pull it so it doesn't pollute the rest of your tank.

getmealemon

I've never seen that. Nothing that is stinging it from afar either like a euphylia? What's near it? When did this start?

No this is in my rock flower tank, only thing near it is another rock flower and zoas in top of the picture. Only other corals in tank are mushrooms.

That doesn't look good, but I can't tell if the tentacles on that side are actually melted away or if they are covered with something the nem is expelling. Could anything be bothering it or tear at its foot? I've heard fire worms can sometimes bother them. I'm still not clear on the difference with fire worms and bristle worms because I have a lot of bristle worms with no harm to the nems. I've lost two RFAs and unfortually when they start going down hill there wasn't much I could do. I've heard to try to put them in a container to limit flow, possibly a dip in case there is a tear, and try to feed. If it really starts melting apart you may want to pull it so it doesn't pollute the rest of your tank.

At first i thought the nem was expelling so with a turkey baster i sucked up what i thought was being expelled. When i did that it was clear to see it was the melted part of the skirt. Nothing really near it other that another rfa and zoas in picture. I do have a lot of bristle worms in the tank but i've not seen them cause a problem - i've even watched a few nems eat bristleworms with no ill effects. I've lost two rock flower nems in total in 2-3 years hoping i'm not on for a third.

No this is in my rock flower tank, only thing near it is another rock flower and zoas in top of the picture. Only other corals in tank are mushrooms.

At first i thought the nem was expelling so with a turkey baster i sucked up what i thought was being expelled. When i did that it was clear to see it was the melted part of the skirt. Nothing really near it other that another rfa and zoas in picture. I do have a lot of bristle worms in the tank but i've not seen them cause a problem - i've even watched a few nems eat bristleworms with no ill effects. I've lost two rock flower nems in total in 2-3 years hoping i'm not on for a third.

I had the same thing happen to one of mine. it's like it ate itself :wacko: I tried turkey basting it and pieces of the nem flew off :( I felt terrible. Not sure what happened to this day. it lasted two days then let go.

getmealemon

I had the same thing happen to one of mine. it's like it ate itself :wacko: I tried turkey basting it and pieces of the nem flew off :( I felt terrible. Not sure what happened to this day. it lasted two days then let go.

Eating itself is quite an accurate description - the mouth appeared to be ingesting the melted skirt. Guess i'll just have to monitor it over the next few days.

• Like 1
Got Corals

HI there,

Im so sorry, this was a beautiful nem!

I recommend that you take it out, because it will pollute your water..

Did you by any chance treat your water for anything? DO you have any shrimp in the tank?

Sometimes the black sand is magnetic and it can bother the nems..

What shame it was beautiful..

Sandy

• Like 1
FlowerMama

Shoot, every color is somewhere in the ocean. You never know what you're gonna get when you buy one. That's what's in part so fun about it. What's your name? Who's your daddy?!

• Like 1

Shoot, every color is somewhere in the ocean. You never know what you're gonna get when you buy one. That's what's in part so fun about it. What's your name? Who's your daddy?!

life-is-like-a-box-of-chocolates-you-nev

• Like 1

DSCF1365_zpsodthbnui.jpg

Wow that was nice looking sorry to see that.,

Like Sandy said take it out. I had one do that also and I tossed it as I did not want to deal with the mess and the pollution.

getmealemon

HI there,

Im so sorry, this was a beautiful nem!

I recommend that you take it out, because it will pollute your water..

Did you by any chance treat your water for anything? DO you have any shrimp in the tank?

Sometimes the black sand is magnetic and it can bother the nems..

What shame it was beautiful..

Sandy

Hi, water wasn't treated with anything and the only other inhabitant of the tank is a glass shrimp that never bothers the nems. I'm using black gravel which i've just tested and isn't magnetic. Just one of those things i guess, all my other nems are looking fine so will be happy if its only this one. Was a nice one though.

Wow that was nice looking sorry to see that.,

Like Sandy said take it out. I had one do that also and I tossed it as I did not want to deal with the mess and the pollution.

Thanks, yeah it was removed from tank yesterday.

Eating itself is quite an accurate description - the mouth appeared to be ingesting the melted skirt. Guess i'll just have to monitor it over the next few days.

Just saw you took it out. That's what I ended up doing as well when I realized it was past the point of no return :( it was my brightest orange pinstriped one. Broke my heart and I never figured it out. I had one that lost most of its skirt right after I bought it one time and it completely recovered so I had been hoping this one would as well but no such luck.

I finally was able to get a somewhat decent photo of one of the little babies. This one has a yellow rimmed orange face.

64Fi52Y.jpg?1

• Like 4
getmealemon

I finally was able to get a somewhat decent photo of one of the little babies. This one has a yellow rimmed orange face.

64Fi52Y.jpg?1

Looks great! How old do you think the baby is? Mine seem to take forever to grow.

• Like 1

Looks great! How old do you think the baby is? Mine seem to take forever to grow.

I first noticed this one in February. What's crazy is the orange baby with a white skirt is the size of a quarter and this one is the size of a pencil eraser but I noticed both at the same time and both were the same size when I found them. The orange/white one I think was getting more cyclops so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

getmealemon

I first noticed this one in February. What's crazy is the orange baby with a white skirt is the size of a quarter and this one is the size of a pencil eraser but I noticed both at the same time and both were the same size when I found them. The orange/white one I think was getting more cyclops so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

My oldest babies were born in November and are less than quarter size i think. I feed them relatively often as well.

DSCF1344_zps0cfnickx.jpg

DSCF1341_zpsarsdvzk0.jpg

• Like 4
  • Christopher Marks pinned this topic