Cultivated Reef

Rock Flower Anemone Information and Appreciation Thread

Mirya

I have a 2 head conjoined baby I'm growing out right now still very small heads are connected by one fat tenticle between them. I've come across a few of those over the years but I've never seen it from an injury on the stalk that's weird!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Kellie in CA

The mouth is right up against the other anemone.  I'm curious to see if it stays like this because it hasn't changed much for a while.  

detk.jpg

• Wow 2

Huh! Did it split, or did it start out like that when you got it? I wonder if you have conjoined twins, or if this is a rock flower anemone actually dividing. Please keep us updated on what it does! 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

How big do Ultra Rock flower anemone get?  I have one in my 13.5 EVO that is easily 4 inches across.  It is hard to get a picture that accurately shows the size because of tank placement....  seems very healthy, just curious.

Cheers!20230208_174831.thumb.jpg.e1ada0b8752be7c32c9b3a4c8d6aa34f.jpg

• Like 1

Beautiful, @NanoBob! I’m trying to find a big one like that for a crevice in my rock… it’s not easy to find them that big.

Here’s some info from the first post in this thread, where you can find a really nice overview.

On 3/8/2014 at 11:30 PM, Mirya said:

Physical Characteristics:

Zoologist Addison Emery Verrill wrote an elegant description of the species in his 1907 publication The Bermuda Islands:

“When fully extended the body of the larger specimens may be 6 to 8 inches or more long and 2 to 3 inches in diameters, while the disk and tentacles may expand to the breadth of 6 to 8 inches, but specimens of about half these dimension are much more common.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
NoOneLikesADryTang
4 hours ago, MockandRoll said:

RFAs have been breeding constantly in my 30g for a few years and I finally got a good two-faced one. Check it out. 

twofacedRFA.jpg

That’s so awesome that you got one from captive tank breeding! 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, MockandRoll said:

RFAs have been breeding constantly in my 30g for a few years and I finally got a good two-faced one. Check it out. 

twofacedRFA.jpg

Wow that’s so cool! May be able to sell that for a good sum. 

image.gif.656a2ffae32a94eeae0da39f84b7ecf5.gif

• Haha 1
MockandRoll
12 hours ago, banasophia said:

Wow that’s so cool! May be able to sell that for a good sum. 

image.gif.656a2ffae32a94eeae0da39f84b7ecf5.gif

I am feeding and keeping any new color morphs to try and see what variations I can get. I sell the common ones for $20 each. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
1 hour ago, MockandRoll said:

I am feeding and keeping any new color morphs to try and see what variations I can get. I sell the common ones for $20 each. 

Oh wow!! Do you ship them? Or just local?

MockandRoll
58 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Oh wow!! Do you ship them? Or just local?

I have shipped before. RFAs ship very well so I haven't had any known deaths but the cost of shipping is high, usually around $80. 

• Sad 1
3 minutes ago, MockandRoll said:

I have shipped before. RFAs ship very well so I haven't had any known deaths but the cost of shipping is high, usually around $80. 

Ah, good to know! I may need to hit you up once I redo my Biocube 32.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
12 hours ago, MockandRoll said:

Here is a video to my first breeding event a few years ago.

Had the same thing happen in a IM20 I had years ago......... posted a video somewhere in this thread or the lounge who knows....... its amazing how things happen in the sea....... 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Got some more babies! Terrible pics. Lots of orange this time I usualy get alot of green with stripes. Starting to color up nicely.20230608_174731.thumb.jpg.a1b971fdfe3732b903d0f51765a2ca43.jpg20230608_175408.thumb.jpg.5a937f9194ecd47373bbe79885cdfe74.jpg

my weird conjoined baby rfa you can now clearly see the fat tentacle shared between them. Theres some subtle differences on the stripes on the faces and one has an orange area so they are not identical. Its growing incredibly slowly I know I've posted it before but now it's big enough to get some detail in the pic. They share a foot its oval shaped rather than round. It was born like this I've had a few others that even had diffrent color faces but this is the only survivor. The tips are actualy very purple. It shows no sign of splitting or changing at this time. Both heads eat well but it seems to respond slightly slower to food than my normal ones.20230618_101217.thumb.jpg.f48393864ed5dd8eace3bf4e230ed27b.jpg20230618_101305.thumb.jpg.c820200a3b147a2344ac0f8714e34b9f.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1