Jump to content
Mirya

Rock Flower Anemone Information and Appreciation Thread

Recommended Posts

friar1

Yep, maybe.  I will be watching them 🙂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Tired

I'm honestly a bit skeptical about them splitting. A lot of people keep a lot of these things, including places that breed hundreds of them. Nobody's reported seeing one split. If we replicate the conditions that cause them to breed, why wouldn't they split? Maybe you have to feed them a lot for them to divide? 

 

I'm sure not going to say that they don't, I have no idea. I just wonder if it's possible that something else was mistaken for splitting. Maybe two identical-looking ones right next to each other. 

Share this post


Link to post
friar1

I would agree, since it is a dioecious species, that would pretty much rule out splitting (cloning).  I would like to know though, if anyone has observed these animals reproducing more than once per year?

Share this post


Link to post
SeaFurn

Just wanted to share something with the broader group that I've observed a few times in my water world.  I have mentioned this to some of you who have DM'd me about RFA care and what to look out for.  Luckily, I don't have many RFA deaths.  However, I have noticed, in the few that I've had, an indicator that signals things are headed down a bad path.  What happens is the RFA's oral disk starts to lose color and turns black - usually starting at the center and moves outward. It usually happens very quickly - over the course of a several days. In some, you may also see it lose it's round shape . 

I don't believe it's caused by any pests and there doesn't seem to be much you can do about it. They will continue to eat when fed,  but will spend more time closed up - especially at night.  In the final stages, they will stay all balled up even during the day - and sometimes completely buried in the sand.  The RFA will usually succumb in 2-3 weeks it seems. You'll know it when they've released from the bottom (on their own) and their insides are coming out of their mouths.

I've tried increasing the feedings as well as soaking the food in garlic. I've not tried Selcon yet. 

 

So you can see what I'm talking about, below are some pictures.  In the picture below, the 2 nems in front were normally the same color red - like the one on the left which is healthy. You can see how the one on the right has turned black. It otherwise seems healthy.  The picture is from May 13, although it had turned black a week or so prior. The nem perished 5 days after the photo.

0420CDC0-6EB4-4685-9F89-B985E16033BA.jpeg.1927e3819713439dab26a938d75f773e.jpeg

 

This is another example - under natural light.  You can see how this one has also lost its round shape.  It died within 3 weeks of losing color/turning black. 

49923142101_55f730132c_b.jpg

 

 

I have only had one that lived through this but it didn't follow the same pattern.  In that case, the nem deteriorated much more slowly and the blackness lasted for a couple of months. The nem would go through periods of being open and closed (closed for several days at a time). At one point, it looked just like the picture above.  I kept feeding it and suddenly after 6 months it started to recover. When I noticed it starting to regain its color, I started feeding it a small amount every other day for several weeks.  Here are some pictures showing the progression.

 

August 2019 - noticed deterioration. 

49923541607_6633bf1fe1_b.jpg

 

 

 

October 2019 - losing more and more color - increasingly black.  It even got worse than this. 

49922664868_8a65c79d6d_b.jpg

 

 

Photo from today - color coming back and tentacles filling back in.

49923165306_cb4df9d8a6_b.jpg

 

 

I haven't lost a nem to bleaching - turning white so my comment to others is generally - if they turn white, no worries, if they turn black - bad news. 

Please let me know if you've ever experienced this same thing.  Thanks!

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Tired

Hm, that's good to know; I'd hate to buy a cool-looking black anemone, only for it to be dying. 

 

I wonder if it might be some sort of harmful algae multiplying in the tissues? Something that replaces its symbiotic algae and starves it, or maybe even a toxic strain.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
ChristopherDido
On 5/22/2020 at 11:51 AM, SeaFurn said:

Just wanted to share something with the broader group that I've observed a few times in my water world.  I have mentioned this to some of you who have DM'd me about RFA care and what to look out for.  Luckily, I don't have many RFA deaths.  However, I have noticed, in the few that I've had, an indicator that signals things are headed down a bad path.  What happens is the RFA's oral disk starts to lose color and turns black - usually starting at the center and moves outward. It usually happens very quickly - over the course of a several days. In some, you may also see it lose it's round shape . 

I don't believe it's caused by any pests and there doesn't seem to be much you can do about it. They will continue to eat when fed,  but will spend more time closed up - especially at night.  In the final stages, they will stay all balled up even during the day - and sometimes completely buried in the sand.  The RFA will usually succumb in 2-3 weeks it seems. You'll know it when they've released from the bottom (on their own) and their insides are coming out of their mouths.

I've tried increasing the feedings as well as soaking the food in garlic. I've not tried Selcon yet. 

 

So you can see what I'm talking about, below are some pictures.  In the picture below, the 2 nems in front were normally the same color red - like the one on the left which is healthy. You can see how the one on the right has turned black. It otherwise seems healthy.  The picture is from May 13, although it had turned black a week or so prior. The nem perished 5 days after the photo.

 

 

This is another example - under natural light.  You can see how this one has also lost its round shape.  It died within 3 weeks of losing color/turning black. 

 

 

I have only had one that lived through this but it didn't follow the same pattern.  In that case, the nem deteriorated much more slowly and the blackness lasted for a couple of months. The nem would go through periods of being open and closed (closed for several days at a time). At one point, it looked just like the picture above.  I kept feeding it and suddenly after 6 months it started to recover. When I noticed it starting to regain its color, I started feeding it a small amount every other day for several weeks.  Here are some pictures showing the progression.

 

August 2019 - noticed deterioration. 

 

 

October 2019 - losing more and more color - increasingly black.  It even got worse than this. 

 

Photo from today - color coming back and tentacles filling back in.

 

 

 

I haven't lost a nem to bleaching - turning white so my comment to others is generally - if they turn white, no worries, if they turn black - bad news. 

Please let me know if you've ever experienced this same thing.  Thanks!

 

 

That's Crazy, I have never lost one in that way... All of mine just seem to decide one day after getting smaller to just detach themselves from the rocks and just roll around.  I try to get them to re-attach and they will for a few days then do the same and eventually just continue to recede, They will even just keep eating... haven't for the life of me figured out what does it

Share this post


Link to post
ChristopherDido

Hey all, 

I have a quick question for all you lovely RFA aficionados, I am getting some pink-tipped Majanos (I know right, but I do like them) so I have a dilemma I would really like to put them in my tank with a bunch of happy RFAs, which currently has green majanos, it was from the Old-School Pico Contest.  There is only one rock feature with the Majanos and it only has one RFA, but I am curious what will happen if RFAs and Majanos meet?  Anyone have any experience they can share with me?

Thanks for you time.  

Being this is an Appreciation Thread, Here's few pics of my RFAs for you to enjoy while you think about my question.

 

The Pink one is on the rocks with Majanos currently creeping up to it.  

IMG_20200524_191200_1920x1080.thumb.jpg.1d26b83c6a5bd1ab7bf60a5d6302fa83.jpg

the Red one here in this pic is getting it's skirt rather close to the Majanos on the other rock

IMG_20200524_191323_1920x1080.thumb.jpg.49daaf4bc24f04b6ab07b50756a743cf.jpg

 

And this guy is in no danger but I do love the colors, wish I could catch them better.

IMG_20200524_191327_1920x1080.thumb.jpg.01d4486d396dd2924789ac06c45a8068.jpg

 

Thanks!

 

Share this post


Link to post
seabass
56 minutes ago, ChristopherDido said:

I am curious what will happen if RFAs and Majanos meet?  Anyone have any experience they can share with me?

Not sure about majano anemones specifically; but I've had RFAs coexist with BTAs and mini carpet anemones.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Tired

Well, the good thing is, they're anemones. I'd think if they find themself outmatched, they'll walk away. I haven't tested this, but I wouldn't expect an anemone losing a battle to stay there and continue losing, if it's free to escape.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
ChristopherDido
3 hours ago, seabass said:

Not sure about majano anemones specifically; but I've had RFAs coexist with BTAs and mini carpet anemones.

 

51 minutes ago, Tired said:

Well, the good thing is, they're anemones. I'd think if they find themself outmatched, they'll walk away. I haven't tested this, but I wouldn't expect an anemone losing a battle to stay there and continue losing, if it's free to escape.

Thanks for the thoughts! I kinda was thinking the same way. 

Share this post


Link to post
SeaFurn
8 hours ago, ChristopherDido said:

I am curious what will happen if RFAs and Majanos meet?  Anyone have any experience they can share with me?

Just a guess but I’d agree, I doubt they’d bother each other. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
kups

I had 3 rfa's and lost them all over the period of a week or so.  The largest one looked like it was being eaten but I never saw who was eating it.  Does anyone know if toby puffers will eat rfa's?  I have a blue spotted puffer and I've caught it eating other corals.  

Share this post


Link to post
Tired

Are you sure they're eaten and not just hiding? 

 

But, yeah, I wouldn't be surprised. Puffers like to bite things, and RFAs don't have much sting to stop one.

Share this post


Link to post
kups

Yeah, they were in a biocube that's since been emptied of all coral and most fish.  I had to take all the rock work out to catch some of the fish.  

I have an opportunity to get a bunch of rfa's but they aren't going to be cheap and I want to make sure they survive this time.  The puffer can be rehomed or moved to another tank if needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Tired

 The puffer is a reasonable suspect, especially if they were going one at a time. 

Share this post


Link to post
kups
6 minutes ago, Tired said:

 The puffer is a reasonable suspect, especially if they were going one at a time. 

I think he might have eaten my zoas too 😡

Share this post


Link to post
Addinali

My babies. There is 5 in this pic can you spot the baby.

MVIMG_20200602_133142.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Kellie in CA

New experience... I noticed my clowns were picking on my new 3” Watchman Goby, so I ran out to grab a breeder box to isolate him until I could decide what to do. 
Came home and my daughter and I looked everywhere and couldn’t find him. 
Then I glance over at one of my many RFA’s. The surface of it had become translucent and there was the Goby’s face inside staring back at me like some kind of terrifying horror movie. 

 

Cue my 5 year old screaming bloody murder!  What a day. 
 

  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Tired

Oh, that's no good. The clowns probably killed him, poor thing, since RFAs don't have much sting. 

 

...any pics? 

Share this post


Link to post
seabass

While it's impossible to know what exactly happened to the goby, I wouldn't put it past a RFA to make a meal out of a small, unsuspecting fish that may have perched on it, or was driven into it by another fish.  I've been grabbed fairly hard from more than one of mine before.

 

Eating a healthy fish would still be highly unusual, but I don't believe it's beyond a RFA to do.

1275898701_lion-catches-hiena.gif

Share this post


Link to post
kimberbee
3 hours ago, seabass said:

While it's impossible to know what exactly happened to the goby, I wouldn't put it past a RFA to make a meal out of a small, unsuspecting fish that may have perched on it, or was driven into it by another fish.  I've been grabbed fairly hard from more than one of mine before.

 

Eating a healthy fish would still be highly unusual, but I don't believe it's beyond a RFA to do.

1275898701_lion-catches-hiena.gif

I've wondered a lot about this. 

 

I really want to add another fish to my 20 gallon tank, but there are 14 anemones in there and some are quite large. A clown govy is at the top of ny list, but since pretty much all it does is perch, I'm really not sure if that's the best option.

Share this post


Link to post
Kellie in CA
3 hours ago, kimberbee said:

I've wondered a lot about this. 

 

I really want to add another fish to my 20 gallon tank, but there are 14 anemones in there and some are quite large. A clown govy is at the top of ny list, but since pretty much all it does is perch, I'm really not sure if that's the best option.

I think you'd probably be fine.  This Goby was picked on pretty bad over night so I think he was probably very weak.  He was also one of the dumbest fish I've ever had.  He literally had a dozen hiding spots he could have gone to in the rock but he insisted on sitting out in the open at all times and was constantly wandering into the clowns territory. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Tired

Clown gobies are actually immune to anemone stings, I'm pretty sure. Based on the fact that they have a thick slime coat, and mostly on this. 

image.png.88345910d0ff4c1b495cb985d06e7b39.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
SeaFurn

This is a new one for me. Anyone know why or what may be eating away the tentacles on this RFA? 

Notice it’s just the ones against the rock. None of the other RFAs around the rock have this happening. Other than the tentacles disappearing it seems healthy and is eating fine. 

50199507788_68e6ebd6f7_b.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Tired

I had amphipods do that. Caught the little buggers at it! Only the ones that were close to their hangout areas, though. The nems away from where the pods live are fine.

  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...