Top Shelf Aquatics

Rock Flower Anemone Information and Appreciation Thread

Mirya

My oldest babies were born in November and are less than quarter size i think. I feed them relatively often as well.

DSCF1344_zps0cfnickx.jpg

DSCF1341_zpsarsdvzk0.jpg

Those are some beauties! Where do you buy your anemones from?

And what do you use to take photos? You capture the colors and fluorescence so well!

• Like 1
getmealemon

There pretty hard to come by in the UK. I found a person who has been importing from US - can't remember where it was exactly. I use a fujifilm finepix hs10. Its by no means a good camera but i didn't want to spend a lot on my first dslr. My pictures have definetly improved as i've got used to it but it could be a lot better. New camera is on the xmas list!

Also i missed out on an absolute stunner of a RFA today, so mad i didn't know they had rock flowers in. Here is the one that got away....

From whitecorals

61521_zpsc5hukjzm.jpg

• Like 3

so, dont know if yall heard. BUT I JOINED THE CLUB. my wife surprised me with a RFA.

the RFA moved about 12" from where i put him in the corner... now he is dead center of the tank in HIGH light and LOW flow.

here is a vid of him trying to eat:

should i go smaller? can i use lps pellets from fauna marin (i already have)?

• Like 1

There pretty hard to come by in the UK. I found a person who has been importing from US - can't remember where it was exactly. I use a fujifilm finepix hs10. Its by no means a good camera but i didn't want to spend a lot on my first dslr. My pictures have definetly improved as i've got used to it but it could be a lot better. New camera is on the xmas list!

Also i missed out on an absolute stunner of a RFA today, so mad i didn't know they had rock flowers in. Here is the one that got away....

From whitecorals

61521_zpsc5hukjzm.jpg

Wow that is a beauty!

so, dont know if yall heard. BUT I JOINED THE CLUB. my wife surprised me with a RFA.

the RFA moved about 12" from where i put him in the corner... now he is dead center of the tank in HIGH light and LOW flow.

here is a vid of him trying to eat:

should i go smaller? can i use lps pellets from fauna marin (i already have)?

I don't think that was too big of a piece - mysis is good too. Mine seem to spit out the fauna Marin lps pellets -

How soon after you got him did you try to feed? Sometimes they take a day or two to settle in. That's a beautiful one!

• Like 1
FlowerMama

Should be no problem with the size. They love the fleshy stuff, but maybe it just wasn't ready yet. Feed 3x a week and they'll be extremely happy.

• Like 2

Just picked up 4 new ones from Sandy at GotCorals who is a sponsor on the forum. Great nems and perfect packaging in separate containers not bags........

IMG_2167.jpg

• Like 6

I want that green toad - and all the nems. Stat. Kthxbai

I have another green baby you can have......you have a toad just make one :lol:

• Like 1
HarryPotter

Don't suppose you can get a better picture of this one - colour combo sounds cool but don't think the picture does it justice!

IMG_0069_zpsjxuss5c3.jpg
  • Like 1
FlowerMama

Funny how the 2 rocks are placed that from the front it looks like one piece, and it looks like a lit up Christmas Tree w/ ornaments.

• Like 2

Funny how the 2 rocks are placed that from the front it looks like one piece, and it looks like a lit up Christmas Tree w/ ornaments.

If I remember it is 3 rocks total that I used epoxy on to hold them together. It comes out as one big piece.

• Like 1
Got Corals

Just picked up 4 new ones from Sandy at GotCorals who is a sponsor on the forum. Great nems and perfect packaging in separate containers not bags........

IMG_2167.jpg

That is an awesome setup!!

Glad you liked the flowers!!

Sandy

• Like 2

IMG_2167.jpg

They look so colorful and happy!

I need to up my game so I can join the RFA baby club!

• Like 2

They look so colorful and happy!

I need to up my game so I can join the RFA baby club!

Kind of surprised you have not gotten any yet.

• Like 1

Has anyone actually had a RFA sting and kill a coral? I have had some in the past and they touched several corals with no real negative effects...

I want to add a few to my new tank, and I have a place where I really want them.. but unfortunately I also have a couple of my favorite gorgonians on the same rock... any thoughts on the potential of their sting vs corals?

Has anyone actually had a RFA sting and kill a coral? I have had some in the past and they touched several corals with no real negative effects...

I want to add a few to my new tank, and I have a place where I really want them.. but unfortunately I also have a couple of my favorite gorgonians on the same rock... any thoughts on the potential of their sting vs corals?

Mine do not seem to bother gorgonians at all. I've had corals sting RFAs, but not really the other way around. I've had corals close up when nems were sitting on them, but that's about it. Everything recovered and in my experience, the corals did more damage to the RFAs.

• Like 2
FlowerMama

Same here, other things stung and killed my rfas. Watch for even brains the size of a quarter. My nem broke free and landed in it- nem was bigger and lost.

• Like 1
getmealemon

So i lost a second RFA about 4 days ago, so 2 in the space of a week. Same problem, started melting from one side. All other rock flowers look fine and tank parameters are all in check. All other stock (including more delicate things like Ricordea Yumas) are all still fine. Nothing has changed in the tank. I'm pretty sure the problem was me overfeeding them.....i was feeding almost every day, partly in an attempt to encourage breeding and partly as i'm going away soon for 3 weeks to Hawaii so they won't get fed much while i'm gone. I think it was overfeeding as i stopped feeding them about 4/5 days ago and there still pooping so guessing it was too much and was rotting inside them before they could expel it. I'm certainly hoping that is the problem anyway as i don't want to lose anymore! Will stick to 2/3 times a week feeding now.

Hopefully won't suffer this problem again and its lesson learnt!

i was feeding almost every day, partly in an attempt to encourage breeding and partly as i'm going away soon for 3 weeks to Hawaii so they won't get fed much while i'm gone.

While I'm not sure why you are losing anemones, I've gone over a year without feeding mine (and they have babies). What do you feed them? On the rare occasion that I feed mine, I usually give them a little mysis or some flake food. I wonder if there is a predator in your tank. :unsure:

So i lost a second RFA about 4 days ago, so 2 in the space of a week. Same problem, started melting from one side. All other rock flowers look fine and tank parameters are all in check. All other stock (including more delicate things like Ricordea Yumas) are all still fine. Nothing has changed in the tank. I'm pretty sure the problem was me overfeeding them.....i was feeding almost every day, partly in an attempt to encourage breeding and partly as i'm going away soon for 3 weeks to Hawaii so they won't get fed much while i'm gone. I think it was overfeeding as i stopped feeding them about 4/5 days ago and there still pooping so guessing it was too much and was rotting inside them before they could expel it. I'm certainly hoping that is the problem anyway as i don't want to lose anymore! Will stick to 2/3 times a week feeding now.

Hopefully won't suffer this problem again and its lesson learnt!

I highly doubt that overfeeding was what killed your anemones. You should also know that feeding RFAs is not a must. Mine have babies on a regular babies and I practically never feed them. Sometimes when I feed the fish they catch something here and there but I don't spot feed them, and all of them are super happy and multiplying. People go nuts feeding them....some feed them daily, others few times a week and I think that's a bit much Take a step back, enjoy them and simply let them be.

• Christopher Marks pinned this topic