Cultivated Reef

Rock Flower Anemone Information and Appreciation Thread

Mirya

FlowerMama

I heard that overfeeding could cause it to rot in their gut & kill them. I've always done what Frank from VIPReef says on his site. "Feed them once a week meaty foods like brine shrimp or PE mysis and they will be very happy". I go back n' forth between feeding every 4 days and once a week. Sorry to hear you lost them.

• Like 4
HarryPotter

I can see why it's one your favorites. White, pink, yellow- I haven't seen that combination.

At first I thought it was a bit sick since the colors are so pale but after doing some reading it seems that white skirts are unusual but not unhealthy

• Like 1
getmealemon

I highly doubt that overfeeding was what killed your anemones. You should also know that feeding RFAs is not a must. Mine have babies on a regular babies and I practically never feed them. Sometimes when I feed the fish they catch something here and there but I don't spot feed them, and all of them are super happy and multiplying. People go nuts feeding them....some feed them daily, others few times a week and I think that's a bit much Take a step back, enjoy them and simply let them be.

Interesting to know. I've certainly taken a step back on feeding and will evaluate. I'm moving house soon so will have to move them all but will give me a chance to see if there are any other problems that aren't obvious now.

Got Corals

I also don't concentrate on feeding them so often. I will spot feed them every once in a blue moon but not that often.

I <3 Rock Flower Anemones- I would keep them all but we have to share the beautiful anemone wealth..

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 1

I heard that overfeeding could cause it to rot in their gut & kill them. I've always done what Frank from VIPReef says on his site. "Feed them once a week meaty foods like brine shrimp or PE mysis and they will be very happy". I go back n' forth between feeding every 4 days and once a week. Sorry to hear you lost them.[/size]

I go by my personal experience and not by what somebody else tells me because I have tons of experience when it comes to RFAs. I have been keeping RFAs for over 10 years, way before most of you knew they even existed. I fed more often when I first started collecting but I stopped long time ago and I didn't notice any difference in the number of spawnings/babies.

By the way,I have never lost one and they have babies often, in fact right now I have about 100 that am raising. I must say that feeding the babies does make them grow faster......but I rarely spot feed the babies because I am simply too lazy. I think I have plenty of experience when it comes to RFAs and I know what works and doesn't work (at least for me).

FlowerMama

And that is awesome that you have found that they don't need to be fed. I didn't feed mine for 2 mos and they were fine but I missed feeding them some. The only written info I found was in the Coral Magazine article from several yrs ago in which they pushed feeding a ton, however I brought up the only other place I saw something written by folks that collect and sell often, VIPReef, which said once a week. Some people want a point of reference and now we have yours too. Must be wonderful to have all the babies, you can watch them grow and sell them to folks in Canada as my understanding from every Canadian is that there are very few places that sell in your country. Your business is probably thriving.

getmealemon

Went to my local fish store, they have a small rock flower anemone tank. I could see one was melting in the way mine had, staff there have heard from a few people who have had them melt and its not known what the cause is. He said in there tank the heater failed (i forgot to ask whether this meant it was stuck on or just completely off) so he thinks it is temperature related. I find this hard to believe as i have a temperature controller on my tank which seems to be giving me a consistent 78F or so.

FlowerMama

Few pics of babies settled in substrate next to adults....

DSCF1439_zps9h7urdiz.jpg

DSCF1441_zpsdikudegk.jpg

And some more still cooking!

DSCF1495_zpspxt2jasi.jpg

DSCF1498_zpsojxrkw9p.jpg

DSCF1499_zpsvxbazj8i.jpg

Beautiful babies!!!!! They're all so perfect Love it, love it, love it.

• Like 1

I also don't concentrate on feeding them so often. I will spot feed them every once in a blue moon but not that often.

I <3 Rock Flower Anemones- I would keep them all but we have to share the beautiful anemone wealth..

Have a great day everyone!

The ones I received from you are absolutely gorgeous!!!!! I haven't had a chance to take pictures yet but I will!!

• Like 1

The ones I received from you are absolutely gorgeous!!!!! I haven't had a chance to take pictures yet but I will!!

Like you have anything better to do :P oh that's right yell at customers :lol:

• Like 1
FlowerMama

20160605_214603_zpszwzjp1al.jpg

20160605_213123_zpslrapg2ae.jpg

20160605_213101_zpshdrf9vhs.jpg

Can't wait til that first day comes when I see someone spawn!!! I'm also getting some gel filters sample in the mail. This rock flower for example is not the colors as shows up here.

• Like 3

Oh happy day, my rock flower is not alone anymore i finaly got 2 more and now i just hope i got some good ones cus i out of money for reefing.

Daylight photo image.jpg2_zpsfbonwcb8.jpg

White and blue Led "zetlight" image.jpg2_zpscje0nyo4.jpg

• Like 2
  • Christopher Marks pinned this topic