Coral Vue Hydros

Rock Flower Anemone Information and Appreciation Thread

Mirya

That's awesome! Picture next to a ruler!

Haha, funny you should ask. This anemone has shrunk in size. It's now typically about 1.5" in diameter (and was about twice that when it was younger). Unfortunately, for this pic, I have just done a fairly aggressive peroxide dip, so it's not representative of what it would otherwise look like (and just 1/2" in diameter). But I'll still accommodate your request (sorry not a great pic).

061616h.jpg

I have RFAs that are much larger. I'm sure it would help if I started to feed it again.

On a side note, anybody know what the fuzz is that is covering the rocks. It brushes off quite easily, but will cover the rock again by the next day. Peroxide doesn't do squat to it; I'm thinking of trying Algae X (Dino X) to see what that will do.

Just caught my RFA spawning, looked just like the videos that people have posted. Now I at least know it's a male, too bad I only have one. @harrypotter this is the big green one that I picked up from you last year.

• Like 2
My tiny reef

Just caught my RFA spawning, looked just like the videos that people have posted. Now I at least know it's a male, too bad I only have one. @harrypotter this is the big green one that I picked up from you last year.

. That's awesome! I'm hoping my spawn again since it's near the summer solstice.

Are they aggressive to neighboring corals? I'm interested in getting an RFA, but not sure about the placement.

No, but still give them some room. I usually find a rock (with decent lighting, away from any coral) which has a spoon like depression in it. Reduce flow (until it takes hold) and place the anemone in the depression. As long as their foot can attach to something solid (like a nearby rock), they can even be placed on the sand.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Not very aggressive on the whole, but I've had one of mine get into a mutual slap-fight with a small colony of blastomussas - both ended up scarred a bit from the exchange.

• Like 1

Ha. Well, I picked up 2 little guys at RAP this past weekend. They're still nuzzling with one another in the plastic cup until I rearrange a bit. Good to know they don't play too rough.

• Like 1

Babies growing, changing....always worth celebrating! I tell you what, I'm so glad I see my tank just 2 ft from me because as soon as I see a male spawn I'm going to squirm with excitement and post it all over the place. Have you seen anymore spawning activity?

• Like 1
HarryPotter

Babies growing, changing....always worth celebrating! I tell you what, I'm so glad I see my tank just 2 ft from me because as soon as I see a male spawn I'm going to squirm with excitement and post it all over the place. Have you seen anymore spawning activity?

I saw spawning a few days ago I believe! My big rainbow was all curled up and extended

• Like 1

I saw spawning a few days ago I believe! My big rainbow was all curled up and extended

I love it when they get all squirmy and play the game of shut & open.

• Like 2

RFA question for the experts:

I'm ready to place 2 RFA's on some rock, and I have a cute little nooky plateau that I want to use, but most of the nooks in the rock actually go all the way through the rock into caves. Would RFA's mind this? Would they disappear into the tunnel? Or would they float themselves on top? I'd prefer not to have them walk too much, so I was thinking that if it sounds like a problem, I could glue a chip of rock or shell in the hole before placing the RFA in it.

Thanks for the insights.

FlowerMama

Even if you put it somewhere it may move til it finds a spot it likes. I put mine on the sand, only 2-3 have climbed onto the rock but as they grow they'll spread apart & prob look for rocks. It will want to set its foot down- you can try throwing some little bit of rock in there to plug it some but I wouldn't put emphasis on it. it'll go where it wants to go.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

They'll decide where they want to live (as they will move if they feel like it). We can only make suggestions (by placing them where we'd like them). I find that my RFAs want to live on rocks (although some will stay right by the sand).

However, to answer your question, I have one rock with two BTAs and two adult RFAs (and an unknown quantity of RFA babies). But don't get me wrong, they can't touch, but they can coexist just fine. Although neither type of anemone really roams all that much in my tank.

• Christopher Marks pinned this topic