SaltCritters.com

Rock Flower Anemone Information and Appreciation Thread

Mirya

That's a cool video! It's like he was stretching :)

at the end of May, I got one of Sandy's (GotCorals) nem packs! Three of the four haven't been cooperating for photos, but today I got a good shot of one of the beauties! Love the coloring on this guy. Sandy sent some beautiful flower nems!

rsMZQav.jpg

• Like 4

That's a cool video! It's like he was stretching :)

at the end of May, I got one of Sandy's (GotCorals) nem packs! Three of the four haven't been cooperating for photos, but today I got a good shot of one of the beauties! Love the coloring on this guy. Sandy sent some beautiful flower nems!

rsMZQav.jpg

Gorgeous rich red on that baby!!!!

• Like 1

Gorgeous rich red on that baby!!!!

I know it! When it put it under the lights and I saw it, I was so excited! I love the stripes too.

• Like 1

question,

mine seems to be reaching for light but it is in high light that is growing sps... its not trying to move, but it is annoying an acan near it by reaching up so high. if i increase lighting will it go down some? im radion at 75% and its directly under light on the bottom of tank? thanks guys and gals

Here is crappy vid of some Rock flower nem love. First time I have seen full thing happen and first sign of anything in the new setup. Sorry on quality as glass was dirty and just noticed it while feeding yesterday.

• Like 5

Hi all, I'm looking for some help with my flower anemones. They have really not been happy for the last month or two and I'm not sure why.

Here you can see them back in last September, looking peachy:

post-21061-0-22874200-1465632538_thumb.jpg

And here's them today, not doing so hot:

post-21061-0-30474400-1465632550_thumb.jpg

I've had the one on the right for over a year and a half (since two months after setting up the tank), and the one on the left for almost a year. They have looked pretty good up until about two months ago, but I think the problem might go back further as the newer anemone has never grown as fast (or even much at all) compared with when I first got the older anemone. I think they got comparable feedings.

Tank: Fluval Spec V

Light: Current Orbit Marine

Flow: upgraded return pump, but no other powerheads

Media basket with filter floss, activated carbon, and phosban

Livestock:

4 sexy shrimp

1 pistol shrimp

1 anemone shrimp

3 astrea snails

Current water parameters:

Salinity: 1.026

Temperature: 79-81ish

Ammonia: 0

Nitrate: 0 (as well as I can tell with my API kit)

Phosphate: 0 (same ^)

Calcium: 410

Alk: 10

Magnesium: 1300

My main guess at the moment is that my water is too clean. I've read that coral can't growth if nitrates and phosphate are too low, and I was wondering if this applied to anemones too, although my internet searches haven't turned up anything. Sometime in the last year I noticed the overabundance of bristle worms in my tank and decided I was probably overfeeding, so over time I've switched to spot feeding my shrimp and then decreased the frequency to 3 times a week. I've never been able to measure nitrate or phosphate in my tank, but the slowed down macroalgae growth rate I've seen indicates that this cutting back on feeding worked. Wanted to get some feedback on this possibility before I try doing anything to correct it. I already stopped running phosban a few weeks ago but I haven't noticed any improvement in the anemones since then.

The other big change that has happened in the last year is that I have started automated two part dosing of Alkalinity and Calcium, although it seems like this probably isn't the issue?

Would appreciate any thoughts on these or other possible causes of my flower anemone woes!

How many adults do you have? and how many babies?

I think I have around 25 adults - and I think around 10 babies that I can see.

Here is crappy vid of some Rock flower nem love. First time I have seen full thing happen and first sign of anything in the new setup. Sorry on quality as glass was dirty and just noticed it while feeding yesterday.

Very cool, Plainrt! And it's a great video, no crap.

I was reading an article that indicated they tend to spawn on/around the solstices so it is interesting that you are seeing this now - just before the summer solstice :)

question,

mine seems to be reaching for light but it is in high light that is growing sps... its not trying to move, but it is annoying an acan near it by reaching up so high. if i increase lighting will it go down some? im radion at 75% and its directly under light on the bottom of tank? thanks guys and gals

I don't think it is reaching for light - sometimes they just like to stretch I think. Who knows what they're going to do :) I think it might be easier to move the acan possibly.

I just get so excited over spawnings. I can't wait to have babies of my own.

I think I have around 25 adults - and I think around 10 babies that I can see.

Very cool, Plainrt! And it's a great video, no crap.

I was reading an article that indicated they tend to spawn on/around the solstices so it is interesting that you are seeing this now - just before the summer solstice :)

I don't think it is reaching for light - sometimes they just like to stretch I think. Who knows what they're going to do :) I think it might be easier to move the acan possibly.

That's wonderful! So many! at least I'm to 17 adults now. Getting there. And hopefully I can tell Teeny soon if he has a female or male. I guess female as he never saw it spawn.

Yeah, I love the ones with big pimples all over. Nice one Harry.

Oh, here's an evening pic where everything was pretty much blueing out towards bed time.

20160610_194723_zps0eb3hcts.jpg

Now same pic w/ no adjusting of lights but using a sample yellow gel filter. What a difference!!!

20160610_195129_zpskx3wefyt.jpg

20160611_212521_zpspcfaacvl.jpg

• Like 3

Yeah, I love the ones with big pimples all over. Nice one Harry.

Oh, here's an evening pic where everything was pretty much blueing out towards bed time.

20160610_194723_zps0eb3hcts.jpg

Now same pic w/ no adjusting of lights but using a sample yellow gel filter. What a difference!!!

20160610_195129_zpskx3wefyt.jpg

20160611_212521_zpspcfaacvl.jpg

Very cool!! I recently got a set of those myself

Very cool!! I recently got a set of those myself

It even helped the green in the grandis paly but I'm going to try a slightly lighter yellow. But it's so nice to see the green I should be seeing in the nems.

I haven't yet tried closeups to see how that goes. Those pretty nems I did before where you could see all the dimpling? I want to see how the same pic looks w/ the correction. Tomorrow.

Wow, those are beautiful! But that bright green one is really cool!

Thanks, Frank said he hadn't seen many two toned like that. Darker outside, lighter inside.

My tiny reef

One of my new favorites and if you look closely there is a baby just to the right bottom side of it

image_115.jpeg

Top down on a few

image_103.jpeg

Just your basic "tan" but under the lights it has hints of lavender and pink, and some of the crossbars are yellow under actinic lights. It is one of my largest and most active nems. Here it is pretending to be a mushroom.

image_110.jpeg

Love the yellow on this one, what appears blue is actually green on this nem.

image_118.jpeg

Two of my favorites hiding/facing the back wall

image_116.jpeg

Not a lot of color, but glows beautifully.

image_117.jpeg

• Like 1

I find that tan one you have to be pretty as well. My friend has a brown and tan and it has hints of purple or lilac here n' there. It's fun seeing those little details that change over the lifetime of your nems. I wonder who on this forum has the longest living nem in their possession?

• Like 1
My tiny reef

That's a good question. Would love to know their lifespan....the one I have had longest is just approaching a year and a half.

I know I had mine 2 yrs before the accident. One of them was 3 yrs old, the white one I started in my Evolve 8. I'm thinking that as long as it takes for them to grow to adults, the lifespan has to be pretty dang good.

I wonder who on this forum has the longest living nem in their possession?

I still have my first Rock Flower Anemone that I got 10 years ago.

• Like 1
  • Christopher Marks pinned this topic