Cultivated Reef

Rock Flower Anemone Information and Appreciation Thread

Mirya

Glad I could be inspiring. I'm waiting for that rfa that comes up from the ocean that has sky blue, turquoise, nature can do it, I just have to wait.

I am almost there!! Ever since you told me you were looking for those colors.. :eek: i have been all eyes but now that i know why you are so passionate, i will have 4 eyes..

This is why i said i was almost there.. this guy has a beautiful blue!!

post-90072-0-43895900-1458937460_thumb.jpg

All y'all's pics of RFAs are so pretty and inspiring!!

Maybe this is a crazy idea, but I understand RFAs like somewhere to stick their foot into. My tank is bare bottom and the rock with suitably deep holes is going to be a Zoa zone. So, does anyone think it'd be possible/a good idea to take a small jar (like the kind minced garlic comes in), fill it with some sand/rubble, and put a RFA in that (the jar goes in the tank of course)? Seems like it'd be easy to move the nem around at the least, but would it stick its foot into the substrate-filled jar and be happy? Sort of like an actual flower pot.

I might be overthinking this but I'd want the nem to have somewhere ideal to go in the tank and I'm not sure if I should let it find its own spot and risk it parking itself in range of a coral it might fight with or try to force the issue by giving it a comfy jar to settle into.

What are the odds a RFA would eat my Neon Goby? He's a tiny guy and prone to perching/swimming against my corals so I don't want to risk him cluelessly sitting on its mouth or something if that's a possibility lol.

I'd really like to get a pink RFA but not if it's not gonna work in my tank haha.

The goby should be safe with one or more RFAs. I probably wouldn't put it in a jar. What I've found to work pretty well is to put the RFA on a rock that's just a little bigger than the anemone. Then you can move it around if you wish. However, there's no guarantee that it won't decide to move somewhere else.

• Like 1

My RFA is attaching to the sand and lodges itself so it is mostly closed up. How can I get it to be more open and viewable.

It will open up. I have about 5 that go through 2 inches or so of sand and attach to the glass on the bottom of the tank. Some days they are opened up great others they are kind of closed. It will all work out for you.

Post some pics of what you got!

They'll plant their feet on your glass, no worries. That's what they do in shops so they just slide a credit card or driver's license under it & move it off. No biggie.

• Like 2

I miss these guys but I'll get it going again. Just having a reflective moment looking through photobucket. Can't believe I lost them all still. Sometimes, like now I just look through my posts, and it's late at night. They're not all fancy but they have some kind of characteristic that I love.

032_zps09e07176.jpg

20150815_192629_zps8d4t8pab.jpg

052_zpsb69f277d.jpg

I love this one I called raspberry.

026_zps45ff84ce.jpg

0a4947c9-0ae5-4678-b0b9-f962654e035f_zps

078_zpsc7797d1c.jpg

011_zpsd5a7c2bd.jpg

20151003_201821_zpsbtzqislf.jpg

20150423_230805_zps97ypcfvy.jpg

20150423_220911_zpsf8zwa4d3.jpg

20150416_203648_zps5v31x3mr.jpg

• Like 6

Thought I would share a pic of one of my babies. I love the colours on this one. Tentacles are bicolor (green & orange) but it's hard to capture that in pics. Tentacles look red but they are actually orange. This one is about one inch and a half.
20160326_1500572_zps7xeau39z.jpg

• Like 8

Really nice that this one has a center design I've not really seen yet. Usually you see the center coloring in completely but not a separate ring. cool.

I miss these guys but I'll get it going again. Just having a reflective moment looking through photobucket. Can't believe I lost them all still. Sometimes, like now I just look through my posts, and it's late at night. They're not all fancy but they have some kind of characteristic that I love.

032_zps09e07176.jpg

20150815_192629_zps8d4t8pab.jpg

052_zpsb69f277d.jpg

I love this one I called raspberry.

026_zps45ff84ce.jpg

0a4947c9-0ae5-4678-b0b9-f962654e035f_zps

078_zpsc7797d1c.jpg

011_zpsd5a7c2bd.jpg

20151003_201821_zpsbtzqislf.jpg

20150423_230805_zps97ypcfvy.jpg

20150423_220911_zpsf8zwa4d3.jpg

20150416_203648_zps5v31x3mr.jpg

Love Raspberry!!!

• Like 2
My tiny reef

I put together this video documenting RFAs breeding. It's not the highest quality photography from my iPhone but I think still a very cool video.

• Like 3

Love Raspberry!!!

Thanks, maybe I should have called it raspberry instead as it kinds looks like it has seeds and you know how strawberries look when they start getting funky, that mottled red color that's going bad and not shiny anymore. Hopefully one day I can find another strawberry. It was unique.

I put together this video documenting RFAs breeding. It's not the highest quality photography from my iPhone but I think still a very cool video.

I'm so excited seeing all those. Makes me just about cry because it's just amazing to me. And I loved that bit about them being carried in the current, nice touch. What percentage would you say anchored and opened?

• Like 1
My tiny reef

I know Annette, I almost tear up when they go floating around the tank on their own too!! Hard to say percentage wise. I'm trying to take the less is more approach and let nature take its course but when I have seen a baby flying around the tank for too long I gently suck it up wth the baster and let it down gently where there is little flow. This tank is a very ugly set up that is nem baby proofed, so I'd like to think nearly 100% are still here. I'm sure there are some that were not strong and have "melted" and more that may have that fate, but most are settled in the sand and open with their 6-12 tiny tentacles at some point throughout the day. I have noticed it takes a day or two after they are released before they open their tentacles. Here's a picture of the ugly set up that I hope will have beautiful outcomes!!

image_39.jpeg

image_38.jpeg

I miss my yellow. I think it's so important to have some strong solid colors for breeding purposes. She or he?

I used to have one like your red/white striped too.

20150128_193306_zpsi5a5ofli.jpg

• Like 1
My tiny reef

I miss my yellow. I think it's so important to have some strong solid colors for breeding purposes. She or he?

I used to have one like your red/white striped too.

20150128_193306_zpsi5a5ofli.jpg

Mine are actually more green and orange with white stripes. I admired your collection and hope to get some more interesting colors and characteristics, both to enjoy and to contribute to the genetic breeding pool!

• Like 1

I know Annette, I almost tear up when they go floating around the tank on their own too!! Hard to say percentage wise. I'm trying to take the less is more approach and let nature take its course but when I have seen a baby flying around the tank for too long I gently suck it up wth the baster and let it down gently where there is little flow. This tank is a very ugly set up that is nem baby proofed, so I'd like to think nearly 100% are still here. I'm sure there are some that were not strong and have "melted" and more that may have that fate, but most are settled in the sand and open with their 6-12 tiny tentacles at some point throughout the day. I have noticed it takes a day or two after they are released before they open their tentacles. Here's a picture of the ugly set up that I hope will have beautiful outcomes!!

image_39.jpeg

image_38.jpeg

There's nothing wrong with your set-up. I was thinking something like that once.

• Like 1

Ooooh. Look at 'em all, yey!!!

If you look really close just under the pinkish skirt in the center left there is a baby almost the size of a dime now......little green skirt.

• Like 1

Alright good to know I was overthinking it, thanks guys. I just didn't want to get the nem in, have it look around and go "this place sucks" and decide its only suitable home is in a hole next to some other corals it'll fight with or something lol. I'll pick up a small rock for it to call home.

They will host Pederson's Anemone Shrimp, right?

I'll be looking forward to properly joining this thread in a month or two once I get my RFA. Patience is a virtue but not very fun lol.

FlowerMama you had such a gorgeous assortment of RFAs, I am so sorry for your loss! It's clear you have so much passion and love for these nems whenever you post about them. Any RFA would be lucky to be in your care.

• Like 3

Yup, they will. Even though they are both from the Caribbean, they aren't the natural host of the Pederson's. The Condy anemone is. That being said, the RFA has very little choice in the matter and will let a Sexy Shrimp or Pederson's shrimp sit on them. (RFAs in the wild host a very small copepod.)

• Like 2

Alright good to know I was overthinking it, thanks guys. I just didn't want to get the nem in, have it look around and go "this place sucks" and decide its only suitable home is in a hole next to some other corals it'll fight with or something lol. I'll pick up a small rock for it to call home.

I'll be looking forward to properly joining this thread in a month or two once I get my RFA. Patience is a virtue but not very fun lol.

FlowerMama you had such a gorgeous assortment of RFAs, I am so sorry for your loss! It's clear you have so much passion and love for these nems whenever you post about them. Any RFA would be lucky to be in your care.

AAAW. Thanks. At least I'm able to have a round 2 thanks to everybody.

• Like 1
  • Christopher Marks pinned this topic