Coral Vue Hydros

Rock Flower Anemone Information and Appreciation Thread

Mirya

I think that survival rate is possible. Without feeding, it could take a few years to become dime sized. I think others have played around with feeding, which I assume would greatly increase their growth rate.

My previous generations of RFA babies (a couple of years old) can now eat flake food.

My baby that I started feeding at just under zoa size hit quarter size in under a year. While he was super tiny I fed foods such as frozen rotifers, frozen Cyclopeeze, or Oyster feast 3 times a week. Once he became dime size, I'd toss him a small scrap of LRS 2-3 times a week as I fed the fish.

• Like 2

If they can survive without feeding I wonder what it was that made mine disappear, the cyano & dino came after the time I had babies so who knows. I tried the method of separating some to a net on the side of the tank but they disappeared too. Oh well, soon at least I'll be starting my tank again and will just feed the parents really well in hopes the babies are stronger. I can't help but be excited when I hear about other's having babies.

• Like 1

So someone asked me for a better understanding of how big these babies really are. Here is one on the glass (it's about 1.5mm in diameter).
032016c.jpg

• Like 3

And that is exactly why it's hard to feed them. Love 'em though, look at the itty bitty baby, you can't help but fall in love and hope for the best for it!!

• Like 1

So someone asked me for a better understanding of how big these babies really are. Here is one on the glass (it's about 1.5mm in diameter).

032016c.jpg

Hey I have one of those babies in my 5 Gallon!

I'm not kidding, at first I thought it was a little nudibranch, but that picture above is exactly like what's been roaming around in my kids' tank. :)

I'll try to get a picture latter today.

• Like 2

I personally find that some grow faster than others even though they were born at the same time. I had a bunch of babies born at the beginning of the year and in just 3 months they have reached a quarter in size.

The one on the left and the one on the right were born at the beginning of the year.
IMG-20160319-WA00072_zpsqxxfmz4r.jpg

IMG-20160319-WA00032_zpsbdnrztpq.jpg

• Like 3
My tiny reef

I personally find that some grow faster than others even though they were born at the same time. I had a bunch of babies born at the beginning of the year and in just 3 months they have reached a quarter in size.

The one on the left and the one on the right were born at the beginning of the year.IMG-20160319-WA00072_zpsqxxfmz4r.jpgIMG-20160319-WA00032_zpsbdnrztpq.jpg

That is incredible! What size were they when they were born? I've seen some come out almost a 1/2" diameter with color already and some, like mine, that come out no color and the size of a grain of rice.

My RFA decided to go on a walk about and now is in the back chamber ( 1) of my Biocube. No clue why it went back there. It is firmly attached and I am afraid to try and move it. should I just leave it be and hope it goes back to the front? If not how do I safely dislodge it? It is attached to the plastic baffle which also has lots of snail eggs ( or something rough) if on the glass I don't think it would be hard to move her but where she is I am afraid of damaging her foot

... should I just leave it be and hope it goes back to the front? If not how do I safely dislodge it?

I doubt it will come back to the display section on it's own. To move them, I normally take a small plastic scraper and slowly work around the foot until it releases.

031411b.jpg

Getting too close to my MP10.

031411c.jpg

Using a plastic scraper to slowly release the foot.

031411d.jpg

Here I've left one scraper under the foot, and started work on the other side with another scraper.

031411e.jpg

Shot of the foot.

031411f.jpg

New home.

Obviously this wouldn't work to remove a RFA from rock, but it should work on yours, which is attached to a baffle.

• Like 4

My RFAs from VIP. Any secret to getting them to spawn? Mine are probably not matured yet...

25801399682_390bd37cab_c.jpg

Beautiful anemones ! How long have you had them? I find that size doesn't determine if the anemoneis ready for spawning or not. There is some medium size anemones in my set ups that have given birth. It's just a matter of time before you see some babies in your tank.

• Like 3

That is incredible! What size were they when they were born? I've seen some come out almost a 1/2" diameter with color already and some, like mine, that come out no color and the size of a grain of rice.

These already had color when they were born. I give lots of light! Lighting cycle is usually from 7:00 am to 10:00 pm and I also feed them few tim s a week.

• Like 1

Hurray!!! My first post of flowers post electrocution 2 mos ago. :wub: I mentioned it in my thread but I only realized why the flowers meant so much to me when I opened these. They were the first thing I saw as beautiful after my husband died. I wasn't seeing anything good in this world that I wanted to be here for.

20160323_212459_zpsmfzrhbrw.jpg

• Like 8

I have seen one spawn in my tank and now have a few babies. One I know for sure is pretty big so I think it came from a earlier spawn as it is the size of an erasure and all the rest are just like tiny pin heads.

• Like 2

Hurray!!! My first post of flowers post electrocution 2 mos ago. :wub: I mentioned it in my thread but I only realized why the flowers meant so much to me when I opened these. They were the first thing I saw as beautiful after my husband died. I wasn't seeing anything good in this world that I wanted to be here for.

20160323_212459_zpsmfzrhbrw.jpg

FlowerMama, I got into RFA almost entirely off of your enthusiasm for them. I wasn't sure what the driving force behind your affinity for them, and now that I do, I can understand why you love them so much. It's hard to find bright things when your world seems dark and gloomy, but with these guys, they're guarenteed to bring color to the party!

FlowerMama, I got into RFA almost entirely off of your enthusiasm for them. I wasn't sure what the driving force behind your affinity for them, and now that I do, I can understand why you love them so much. It's hard to find bright things when your world seems dark and gloomy, but with these guys, they're guarenteed to bring color to the party!

Thanks Droy. I hadn't felt passion about anything since he died June of 2012. I started reefing Feb 2013 and bought my first rfa, a pretty white one, put it in my 8 g.

• Like 1

Hey, everybody with some RFAs in your tank, go buy a cheap UV flashlight for looking for pet pee stains or scorpions for $10 from walmart or whatever local store next to you that has them, and shine it on your RFAs.

The colors I'm getting are totally unreal, and different from any other light.

I'm thinking of getting 395nm leds just for moon lights to have for after light's out for another hour.

• Like 1

Glad I could be inspiring. I'm waiting for that rfa that comes up from the ocean that has sky blue, turquoise, nature can do it, I just have to wait.

Thanks Droy. I hadn't felt passion about anything since he died June of 2012. I started reefing Feb 2013 and bought my first rfa, a pretty white one, put it in my 8 g.

• Like 2

My RFA is attaching to the sand and lodges itself so it is mostly closed up. How can I get it to be more open and viewable.

Beautiful anemones ! How long have you had them? I find that size doesn't determine if the anemoneis ready for spawning or not. There is some medium size anemones in my set ups that have given birth. It's just a matter of time before you see some babies in your tank.

like a week =P. 3 of those I had for a month now but the rest are new. i hope they spawn, it will be so cool! so i need to lower my flow when it happens?

like a week =P. 3 of those I had for a month now but the rest are new. i hope they spawn, it will be so cool! so i need to lower my flow when it happens?

I would say yeah, turn the flow completely off if you happen to see them releasing babies....but not when the males are releasing sperm because you want it to go all over your tank and allowing the females to take in.

• Like 1

My RFA is attaching to the sand and lodges itself so it is mostly closed up. How can I get it to be more open and viewable.

Your lights may on too bright. Try dimming them a bit.

• Christopher Marks pinned this topic