Top Shelf Aquatics

Arce's Tank

Arce

Tank is doing... Ok... Did a deep cleaning this weekend and it was much needed, so much crap and detritus.

I checked my levels, mag and calc were a little low, 1280 and 380, and alk was extremely high around 13.5. I had already cut back on dosing but had to lower it again to try to bring it down, ever since my AEFW problems its averaged around 10-11 so im not going to bring it down past that.

Some corals are really pissed off, now i don't know if its because of the alk or due to AEFW. I want to lean towards the ALK because i don't see traditional circular bite marks but one or two of my pieces have been showing white marks but in a larger area or streaks and one also browned. The one that browned has had a track record of doing so when i had issues with alk, so im really hoping its only that since its pretty sensitive.

No idea, only time will tell i guess.

• Like 2

Tank is doing... Ok... Did a deep cleaning this weekend and it was much needed, so much crap and detritus.

I checked my levels, mag and calc were a little low, 1280 and 380, and alk was extremely high around 13.5. I had already cut back on dosing but had to lower it again to try to bring it down, ever since my AEFW problems its averaged around 10-11 so im not going to bring it down past that.

Some corals are really pissed off, now i don't know if its because of the alk or due to AEFW. I want to lean towards the ALK because i don't see traditional circular bite marks but one or two of my pieces have been showing white marks but in a larger area or streaks and one also browned. The one that browned has had a track record of doing so when i had issues with alk, so im really hoping its only that since its pretty sensitive.

No idea, only time will tell i guess.

Well, it is good news you aren't seeing any bite marks.

Well, it is good news you aren't seeing any bite marks.

Well i dont quite know honestly. Its not individual bite marks as ive seen from the FW before, its like a larger area, so no idea if its AEFW or if its just damage or something.

Well i dont quite know honestly. Its not individual bite marks as ive seen from the FW before, its like a larger area, so no idea if its AEFW or if its just damage or something.

I'm going to cross my fingers! I saw a clear what I think is a flatworm on my glass yesterday and all I could do was think about your problems! And proceeded to freak out :)

Long term experience by others has shown that any Alk spike above 9 will harm acros while those in the 6.5 to < 9 don't do much harm. This loosely correlates to what I did last November when the Kat was in good health until Alk spiked well above 9 into the low 10's and it quickly browned out. My new rule is to turn off the doser when Alk climbs above 8, which happened to me just yesterday, and then start daily monitoring and adjustments until I'm safely stable again.

I'm going to cross my fingers! I saw a clear what I think is a flatworm on my glass yesterday and all I could do was think about your problems! And proceeded to freak out :)

Yea they suck and its an absolute nightmare, I've thrown out so many of my beautiful SPS.

If you see them again snap a picture so you can determine what it is.

Long term experience by others has shown that any Alk spike above 9 will harm acros while those in the 6.5 to < 9 don't do much harm. This loosely correlates to what I did last November when the Kat was in good health until Alk spiked well above 9 into the low 10's and it quickly browned out. My new rule is to turn off the doser when Alk climbs above 8, which happened to me just yesterday, and then start daily monitoring and adjustments until I'm safely stable again.

I shut it off for a few hours but turned it back on before bed. I have to check again but im afraid to let it drop too quickly because they are all so damaged already.

I shut it off for a few hours but turned it back on before bed. I have to check again but im afraid to let it drop too quickly because they are all so damaged already.

I don't think you can drop it too quickly with the dosers off, but perhaps in a smaller tank it's possible.

I don't think you can drop it too quickly with the dosers off, but perhaps in a smaller tank it's possible.

Before the AEFW incident i left my doser off by accident, in setup mode, Dropped from 7.0 to 5 something in a day

Before the AEFW incident i left my doser off by accident, in setup mode, Dropped from 7.0 to 5 something in a day

woah! that is quite a drop for a day. But you do have a lot of large stony corals in there.

Seems like the reef gods have spoken and want me to just quit...

Come home late, havent seen the tank all day. Go to feed and do my usual daily nonsense, hear the ATO kicking on and off which usually indicates that i forgot to fill the bucket, but im thinking, i just did it yesterday..... So i proceed to run to the tank.... Bubbles spraying all through the DT, floors soaked.... First thing i think is the worst, tank cracked.... checked every seam every pane looking for the source but couldnt find it. from looking around it looked like it was the sump since the bottom of the stand was the only wet part. Check the sump, no cracks. WTF??? Then i saw it..... I left the filter sock too high in the sump.... Overflowed around 5 gallons of water onto my carpet and the ATO pumped a bucket full into the tank. SG was 1.021. Cleaned it up, mostly... Very discouraged right now...

Come home late, havent seen the tank all day. Go to feed and do my usual daily nonsense, hear the ATO kicking on and off which usually indicates that i forgot to fill the bucket, but im thinking, i just did it yesterday..... So i proceed to run to the tank.... Bubbles spraying all through the DT, floors soaked.... First thing i think is the worst, tank cracked.... checked every seam every pane looking for the source but couldnt find it. from looking around it looked like it was the sump since the bottom of the stand was the only wet part. Check the sump, no cracks. WTF??? Then i saw it..... I left the filter sock too high in the sump.... Overflowed around 5 gallons of water onto my carpet and the ATO pumped a bucket full into the tank. SG was 1.021. Cleaned it up, mostly... Very discouraged right now...

Hey man only greatness can come from those who struggle but keep pursuing there dreams. ;)

Don't give up man you got a beautiful tank.

• Like 1

Oh no :( so sorry Arce.

• Like 1

Oh no :( so sorry Arce.

Thanks =[

Hey man only greatness can come from those who struggle but keep pursuing there dreams. ;)

Don't give up man you got a beautiful tank.

Thanks, ive had my share of struggles though.

Sorry.

Get rid of the filter sock, get rid of anything you have to fiddle with.

I will be going back to a timed topoff and getting rid of my fancy ATO because of this. I haven't had an ATO accident yet but it's just another risk that can be easily prevented.

• Like 2

Sorry.

Get rid of the filter sock, get rid of anything you have to fiddle with.

I will be going back to a timed topoff and getting rid of my fancy ATO because of this. I haven't had an ATO accident yet but it's just another risk that can be easily prevented.

Was just stupidity on my part. The sock was too high, over the rim, so it just poured out. Idk why the ato didnt override and shut off. Probably because it was in small incriments over the day. Even if you did a timed this could have still happend.

Was just stupidity on my part. The sock was too high, over the rim, so it just poured out. Idk why the ato didnt override and shut off. Probably because it was in small incriments over the day. Even if you did a timed this could have still happend.

I don't have a filter sock because they can be mounted wrong. ;) I try to avoid anything I can screw up because I will screw it up. I even make sure the skimmer is sitting in the middle of the chamber in case I forget to put the cup back on. :D I use feed modes to do maintenance so things kick back on after an hour if I forget and walk away from the tank. I try not to underestimate my stupidity, but it's hard!

• Like 2

Carpets still damp, sitting here with a hair dryer trying to dry as much as possible bfor the fam kills me. Acros all pissed more than before, i foresee losing a few.

Okay, post up a picture, list the problems, maybe we can work through it.

Corals are just stressed from the flats, alk swings, the huge drop in SG from the other day. Ive been trying to fix the alk, no idea if the flats are gone, and i raised my SG back up.

Ontop of that, from neglect, i have fields of byropsis and aptasia the size of bubble tip nems.

Mandarin has fin rot.

My lights are leaking current which scares the crap outta me cause i always get shocked.

The list goes on...

wow, didn't know all that was going on too. :(

Is the bryopsis and aiptasia on the rocks or the corals themselves also, because I remember you saying you took off all the colonies for dips. If that is the case tossing the rocks would be best. throw in some of the new dry rock to get them started on seeding.

wow, didn't know all that was going on too. :(

Is the bryopsis and aiptasia on the rocks or the corals themselves also, because I remember you saying you took off all the colonies for dips. If that is the case tossing the rocks would be best. throw in some of the new dry rock to get them started on seeding.

Mostly rocks some sprout on plugs but idc about that its not detrimental to my corals. Not like i really have a display anymore so it doesnt have to be pretty.

Ive been superglueing the big aptasia because i dont want my fish getting stung, i wasnt joking about their size.

Part of me just wants to take it all down and start fresh in a year or so, idk i just hate how much moneys being wastef on a failing system.