Top Shelf Aquatics

Arce's Tank

Arce

I like it. Now mortar it together just like that :)

And your other trick is raising it up slightly, right?

Bahhh damn you Ben! :mellow:<_<:rolleyes:

Lol yea. Going to raise it at least an inch off the sand by using mortar covered 1/2" pvc pieces. Going to make it blend in well so you cant see them from the front.

Hoping this will really help the flow, since the gyre will be able to continue under the scape. Also doing this to keep the sand cleannnnn. Rocks create tons of crevices in sand that make dead spots, now with it raised i can use a baster to blow it all out and keep it free of crap.

Ignore my extremely messy storage room...

So this is my planned scape. I have another trick up my sleeve once i mortar it together, but I'm not giving it away till i figure out how I'm going to do it.

18242440560_fec04d352b_z.jpgUntitled by justin arce, on Flickr

18243969919_efb2819a96_z.jpgUntitled by justin arce, on Flickr

18242334178_f84378a383_z.jpgUntitled by justin arce, on Flickr

Page bump

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Bahhh damn you Ben! :mellow:<_<:rolleyes:

Lol yea. Going to raise it at least an inch off the sand by using mortar covered 1/2" pvc pieces. Going to make it blend in well so you cant see them from the front.

Hoping this will really help the flow, since the gyre will be able to continue under the scape. Also doing this to keep the sand cleannnnn. Rocks create tons of crevices in sand that make dead spots, now with it raised i can use a baster to blow it all out and keep it free of crap.

Lol, sorry man, not my first rodeo with rockscaping :)

It's a really cool idea. Instead of using PVC, you can just take some extra rock and chisel it into legs and mortar those in place (IMHO I would do that after mortaring the rest together). This way you don't have to worry about seeing it - it will look great :)

• Like 2

Lol, sorry man, not my first rodeo with rockscaping :)

It's a really cool idea. Instead of using PVC, you can just take some extra rock and chisel it into legs and mortar those in place (IMHO I would do that after mortaring the rest together). This way you don't have to worry about seeing it - it will look great :)

Yea i have a bunch of rubble i was planning to use to cover them up.

• Like 2

I love this part! Hardscaping is fun...

P.S. Looks like a zen garden in this shot, with the sand all raked into lines. You just need a well placed Buddha statue.

18242334178_f84378a383_z.jpg

• Like 1

I love this part! Hardscaping is fun...

P.S. Looks like a zen garden in this shot, with the sand all raked into lines. You just need a well placed Buddha statue.

:lol: Lol

You could also raise it up by using tonga rock. I saw that somewhere and omg did it lok amazing.

Yea ive seen that but 40b are too short to do it that way, if i had a tall tank i was going to do all tonga rock

TheKleinReef

Yea ive seen that but 40b are too short to do it that way, if i had a tall tank i was going to do all tonga rock

Hmm. It'd be pretty BA if the rock broke the surface ofthe water ;)

• Like 1
HarryPotter

I like it. Now mortar it together just like that :)

And your other trick is raising it up slightly, right?

Spoiler alert! :lol:

I like it too. A bit concerned with detritus buildup in such a dense structure, but I'll wait till I see your suprise

Spoiler alert! :lol:

I like it too. A bit concerned with detritus buildup in such a dense structure, but I'll wait till I see your suprise

Its getting mortared together so most voids will be filled. Aside from the network of caves i made to the right side nothing will build up within it. Anyway, nothing a baster cant fix.
  • Like 2

I really want to do the transfer this weekend....

To Do List...

1. Mortar scape

2. Drill tank

3. Paint tank back

4. Stand top / reinforce base

5. Make 20-30gals of fresh salt

I really want to do the transfer this weekend....

To Do List...

1. Mortar scape

2. Drill tank

3. Paint tank back

4. Stand top / reinforce base

5. Make 20-30gals of fresh salt

giphy.gif

Ok.... Heres the plan....

Mortar the scape into the late hours of the night. At the same time I'm going to be making RODI and before i call it a night ill salt them and let them sit for the night. After all of this ill rinse my sand quick and give the rocks a quick wash to get the dust off.

In the morning I'm going to go to Lowes, get plywood for the stand top and some smaller pieces for the reinforcement of the bottom since the existing plywood's a bit old and I'm paranoid. Also need to buy a spray paint and some rubber matting to line the bottom of the stand.

Then I'll come home, drill the tank, paint the back. After that ill get the stand top on and reinforce the bottom.

From there on its the transfer :happy:

• Like 3

Ohh! i forgot to post last night... I havent tested my alk in.. idk a month? Tested last night 11.8dkh :mellow: . Lol need to work on that.