ReefCleaners.org

Arce's Tank

Arce

Looks like the transfer isnt going to happen today. Having alot of issues with the scape. Also i think im going to run out of mortar so a bit nervous about that.

I barely finished the scape with the mortar i had. In total the scape took about 10 hours, 30ish lbs of rock, 10 lbs of mortar, a few zip ties, and a hell of alot of frustration. It came out good though. Just hope it holds because i was very light on the mortar at the end. I didnt get to raise it yet, have to figure out how im goning to do it now. Will probably just have to have it freestanding on rocks and not mortared together so i will have to make sure its stable. Maybe zip ties if i can hide them.

• Like 2
myarmolich

I barely finished the scape with the mortar i had. In total the scape took about 10 hours, 30ish lbs of rock, 10 lbs of mortar, a few zip ties, and a hell of alot of frustration. It came out good though. Just hope it holds because i was very light on the mortar at the end. I didnt get to raise it yet, have to figure out how im goning to do it now. Will probably just have to have it freestanding on rocks and not mortared together so i will have to make sure its stable. Maybe zip ties if i can hide them.

Needs more pictures and hopefully a FTS ;)

Sooooo scape held good, moved it and it didnt even budge so thats great. Only problem is i cant find a way to lift it without using mortar so thats shot. Got the tank drilled and painted. I think i drilled it a little too high... So hopefully it works out. I measured it but well see what happens when its set up...i also rinsed the sand out, but not the rock.

To do list...

1. Stand top

2. Reinforce stand bottom

3. Tank transfer

• Like 1

Yo! pictures! quite slacking. and help me keep my credit cards at home and not take it to RAP ya? POTO is killing me and I have already promissed several other vendors that I will swing by. eeeks

I think the scape looks good more old school scape which I enjoy more then most of this less is more hippie rockscapes. Don't get me wrong theres a few of the less is more that blow my mind away I just prefer the old school way.

If you have some extra pieces, put a couple here and there to make the dome less of a dome, and more uneven maybe?

Your old scape was very artistic, uneven, natural. This doesn't have the same rawness to it, it's contrived. Maybe that is what is appearing off to you. I think it looks nice but it is radically different from your old scape.

If you have some extra pieces, put a couple here and there to make the dome less of a dome, and more uneven maybe?

Your old scape was very artistic, uneven, natural. This doesn't have the same rawness to it, it's contrived. Maybe that is what is appearing off to you. I think it looks nice but it is radically different from your old scape.

So when i was making this scape i wanted something different than what i did in the 29. Obviously dealing with different dimensions i felt i had to go a different route. In a rush to get this tank up and running i think i may have screwed myself over by mortaring it so quickly. I took my corals out of my tank and did a mock layout on the scape. Although its not horrid, im not happy. When i was making this scape i was really looking at the end point or goal of what i want it to look like. I wanted literally a mound of SPS thats literally covering every inch. So going back to what i designed, yea it may work but idk.

HarryPotter

So when i was making this scape i wanted something different than what i did in the 29. Obviously dealing with different dimensions i felt i had to go a different route. In a rush to get this tank up and running i think i may have screwed myself over by mortaring it so quickly. I took my corals out of my tank and did a mock layout on the scape. Although its not horrid, im not happy. When i was making this scape i was really looking at the end point or goal of what i want it to look like. I wanted literally a mound of SPS thats literally covering every inch. So going back to what i designed, yea it may work but idk.

Honestly I really like it. A bunch of the recent TOTMs have similar, simple scapes. I think it really exemplifies the positive/negative space you'll use.

So i still have a good amount of rock left over, im going to see if theres any mods i can make to it. I have to make this scape work, i cannot afford another 50lbs. If i find a way to make it work ill get some more mortar to be able to modify it and then see if i can still lift it which is reallyyyyy another effect that i think would make me like the scape even more.

Flip it upside down? And float that beast MR Kang style. :)

:lol: .

I actually thought about flipping it but i have a few zip ties on the bottom tying a few larger pieces together for strength when i mortared it.

jedimasterben

:lol: .

I actually thought about flipping it but i have a few zip ties on the bottom tying a few larger pieces together for strength when i mortared it.

Clip 'em off :)

Clip 'em off :)

Id be afraid to. The way they are connected and due to the weight the mortar probably cant hold it by itself. I tried that and it snapped which is why i zip tied them. Hard to explain the way they were laid out.

So lets hear other opinions of the scape as is. I actually like that side angle picture, i think it looks pretty good, but the front on picture doesnt tickle my pickle ya kno, kind of blah, and i think its because of what kat basically said. But when im looking at it i have to try to think of the end game.. One large rock structure filled with SPS. So idk. Very indecisive.

HarryPotter

Id be afraid to. The way they are connected and due to the weight the mortar probably cant hold it by itself. I tried that and it snapped which is why i zip tied them. Hard to explain the way they were laid out.So lets hear other opinions of the scape as is. I actually like that side angle picture, i think it looks pretty good, but the front on picture doesnt tickle my pickle ya kno, kind of blah, and i think its because of what kat basically said. But when im looking at it i have to try to think of the end game.. One large rock structure filled with SPS. So idk. Very indecisive.

How about raising the structure using three pieces of rubble? That might be cool

The lower the better, you need room to grow. I think the rockwork is fine, it should be invisible once the corals grow up IMO.

• Like 2
jedimasterben

Id be afraid to. The way they are connected and due to the weight the mortar probably cant hold it by itself. I tried that and it snapped which is why i zip tied them. Hard to explain the way they were laid out.

How did you apply the mortar? Emaco and Acryl-60 are so strong when applied that the rock essentially becomes one solid piece once cured.

• Like 1

How about raising the structure using three pieces of rubble? That might be cool

I want to, but its easier said than done. Really the best way to do it will be out of mortar.

The lower the better, you need room to grow. I think the rockwork is fine, it should be invisible once the corals grow up IMO.

Yea thats my thoughts too. End game is what im trying to picture, but its hard.

How did you apply the mortar? Emaco and Acryl-60 are so strong when applied that the rock essentially becomes one solid piece once cured.

It does, but there wasnt much surface area between the rocks on the right due to the way i laid them. I wanted some caves and such. So i had to zip tie them, then mortar. Its only like 4 ties though.

jedimasterben

It does, but there wasnt much surface area between the rocks on the right due to the way i laid them. I wanted some caves and such. So i had to zip tie them, then mortar. Its only like 4 ties though.

Hmm. Maybe slop a little bit of mortar over them? Or some epoxy, just to cover them up :)

• Like 1

Hmm. Maybe slop a little bit of mortar over them? Or some epoxy, just to cover them up :)

Well they aren't visible as the scape is now, i don't think im going to flip it lol.