Pod Your Reef

Arce's Tank

Arce

I But when im looking at it i have to try to think of the end game.. One large rock structure filled with SPS. So idk. Very indecisive.

IF this is your goal, I would say you have it locked down.

IF this is your goal, I would say you have it locked down.

Originally it was. Still going to try to do a couple mods here and there make it a little bit more appealing and functional.

The scape looks good bro! I like the simplicity of it. I still do think you should try to raise it, though. Once you see it raised up, I think you will be satisfied. If not, you can always try to add pieces to it. Don't give up until you are happy! B)

• Like 1

The scape looks good bro! I like the simplicity of it. I still do think you should try to raise it, though. Once you see it raised up, I think you will be satisfied. If not, you can always try to add pieces to it. Don't give up until you are happy! B)

I really agree, the whole concept came from a raised scape, it just adds such a cool effect.

Im going to work on it for another week or so, I want to get the system up but i need to be happy with it like you said.

• Like 3
jedimasterben

Raised scapes are awesome, but a little difficult in shallow tanks, they don't typically give a lot of room for vertical growth. You used a lot of smaller rocks for it, though, so you'll be more than fine to raise it a couple inches.

I'm totally jelly, btw. I would love to do a scape like that, but I don't do SPS (I might now that I figured out my chronically low alk problem) so it wouldn't look as badass.

• Like 1

Raised scapes are awesome, but a little difficult in shallow tanks, they don't typically give a lot of room for vertical growth. You used a lot of smaller rocks for it, though, so you'll be more than fine to raise it a couple inches.

I'm totally jelly, btw. I would love to do a scape like that, but I don't do SPS (I might now that I figured out my chronically low alk problem) so it wouldn't look as badass.

Yea i tried to keep it lower for that reason. Even when i raise it, its only going to be an inch or so off the sand, only to give the effect that its not sitting on the sand, thats also why the front has alot of overhangs to aid in the effect. I really tried planning it all out, so it would be cool if it all works as i envisioned.

jedimasterben

Yea i tried to keep it lower for that reason. Even when i raise it, its only going to be an inch or so off the sand, only to give the effect that its not sitting on the sand, thats also why the front has alot of overhangs to aid in the effect. I really tried planning it all out, so it would be cool if it all works as i envisioned.

Well, if you've got any rock leftover, just stick a couple of them under the mound and see how it looks.

Well, if you've got any rock leftover, just stick a couple of them under the mound and see how it looks.

I did that, pretty unstable and since this rock is very porous to cut it down to an inch or so thickness would just fall apart. Would either need some flat cuts from them or do it from mortar.

Lay PVC flat - 2-3 of them and put the structure on top. The PVC should be the 1/2 or no more than 1" size. If you like the suspended look, at that point you can do some camouflage to hide the pipes. And drill holes in them so that there is no air trapped in them. I think raising this an inch or so above the sand may change your perspective

• Like 1

Lay PVC flat - 2-3 of them and put the structure on top. The PVC should be the 1/2 or no more than 1" size. If you like the suspended look, at that point you can do some camouflage to hide the pipes. And drill holes in them so that there is no air trapped in them. I think raising this an inch or so above the sand may change your perspective

That was my original plan, but ran out of mortar. Going to do it eventually.

So i added to the scape, think it looks a bit better. Still going to play with it for awhile and not rush. Ordered more mortar to add these pieces and do the lifts.

The 29 is in alright shape. Some corals are pissed, i lost all my BOP pretty much. My millies have zero PE which has never happened. One coral that showed the AEFW the first time is super pissed, i dont see any bite marks so im hoping its not a relapse but i inspect it every day. I neglected this tank alot recently, alk was all over the place, salinity was 1.022 no idea how it dropped so low, probably the cause of everything being pissed. Did a W/C yesterday and hopefully things will rebound. Despite them all being pissed thouhg with no PE colors are still excellent, so theres hope...

Sucks, but that's a good plan. Don't bring em over to the new tank!

Yea its going to suck not being able to set it up till they are out. Figure it will probably take longer than a month to really beat their life cycle. Weird thing is i cant find any eggs, my eyes may not be the best but from everything i see online they should be somewhat visible.

If you don't see bit marks they are not AEFW. They are just the smothering kind of flatworms. I found them on one corals, I inspect it often, zero bite marks but the FW themselves are a large, almost polyclad type bastard. Doesn't eat the corals just like to hang on them. I'm sorry I missed your update on the FW.

I would set it up and use it as a coral QT IMO. Having two tanks really helps get rid of AEFW. While you're dipping the 29 can go acroless.

• Like 1

I would set it up and use it as a coral QT IMO. Having two tanks really helps get rid of AEFW. While you're dipping the 29 can go acroless.

Cant do both, i planned to use most of the equipment from the 29

If you don't see bit marks they are not AEFW. They are just the smothering kind of flatworms. I found them on one corals, I inspect it often, zero bite marks but the FW themselves are a large, almost polyclad type bastard. Doesn't eat the corals just like to hang on them. I'm sorry I missed your update on the FW.

Yea i dont see bite marks, must be the smothering ones then. Well see what happens.

Typical symptom of those is color loss from them blocking the light, and the corals showing fuzzy spots, their misenterial filaments come out to deal with the intruder.

Hm none have put out filaments. Most symptoms ive seen Are reduce pe and tissue. One is browning a bit in a certain area now that i think ablut it but i never seen fw on that piece

Things arent looking good. I over did it with my last bayer dip, few pieces are seriously stressed. Millis dont look like they are going to make it., they were the aefw target this time.

Just want to quit.

• Like 1

Things arent looking good. I over did it with my last bayer dip, few pieces are seriously stressed. Millis dont look like they are going to make it., they were the aefw target this time.

Just want to quit.

NOOO we cant lose arkayology AND you :(

Just want to quit.

I felt the same way after messing with my scape made everything mad. Now I can't find my scrapers and haven't been able to make it out to buy new ones. Now I can't see how mad everything is...

When you have a vision of what you want your tank to look like, and you just can't get it, it can be very frustrating. We all put so much time and effort into our tanks, it's crushing when bad things happen.

I hope you're able to re-group and get back on track.

• Like 1

Just want to quit.

Sorry for the troubles Arce. :( Besides pissed corals, are you seeing any more signs of the FW? Eggs?

If you have say 25 colonies/frags, how many are healthy right now? What % of your corals are problem free.

Separate the problem free corals from the others on diff sides of the tank if you can. If the good corals out number the declining - that's no reason to consider quitting.

If that is not the case, and the declining corals are fast becoming more than the healthy ones, put the healthy ones in the new tank and see if you can live with that.

:grouphug:

I think were all going through some kind of summer time reef tank blues.....hope it turns around for you Arce.

I'd have to agree. Although it's SPS dominant tanks reporting these problems I think. What's up with that?

• Like 2