ReefCleaners.org

Arce's Tank

Arce

Everything was going good, left work early to go grab the tank, super excited.

It barely fit into my mustang....

16818968493_e7e93e41de_b.jpgUntitled by justin arce, on Flickr

Then i get home, eagerly set it up on the stand and start filling it....

Then this happened.....

17437261422_e227b3231a_b.jpgUntitled by justin arce, on Flickr

Now, this wasn't happening dry, there were no bubbles i double and triple checked all seams before i left the store. It happened after i filled it. With a lot of research I've found others with similar issues. They are saying that its due to the stress of the bowing but it isn't a structural issue. To test this i squeezed the panels together and watched the bubbles disappear then reappear as i let go. Now i have no idea how this doesn't affect it structurally, but if there's any merit to the posts i found, they had contacted aqueon and posted their response and it clearly stated that.

Whats everyone think?????

• Like 2

My 40b never did that and I used it for ~ 3 years

I would be nervous

To be safe i drained it. Waiting for my LFS to get back to me.

• Like 2

To be safe i drained it. Waiting for my LFS to get back to me.

Better safe than sorry . 40g doesn't seem like much until you're soaking it up with towels. :lol:

Better safe than sorry . 40g doesn't seem like much until you're soaking it up with towels. :lol:

Yea lol. I just emailed aqueon so lets see what they do about it.

Ive continued researching, seems there are a bunch of people who also experienced this. Not sure what they ended up doing but they all seem to have gotten the same answer from aqueon.

That's BS . They don't have to cover any damage caused by a blown seam so I can see why they wouldn't recall the tanks, but if that was "normal" then why do other tanks not do it ?

That's BS . They don't have to cover any damage caused by a blown seam so I can see why they wouldn't recall the tanks, but if that was "normal" then why do other tanks not do it ?

No idea, will have to see what they say

That seems odd- good move on draining it- will your lfs take it back?

Going to try to take it back, hoping he doesnt give me a hard time

• Like 1

Any answer from Aqueon yet?

I wouldn't trust it. Maybe it's a bad batch or something like that? I'd even be leery of getting another tank from the same LFS...

reefernanoman

Everything was going good, left work early to go grab the tank, super excited.

It barely fit into my mustang....

16818968493_e7e93e41de_b.jpgUntitled by justin arce, on Flickr

Then i get home, eagerly set it up on the stand and start filling it....

Then this happened.....

17437261422_e227b3231a_b.jpgUntitled by justin arce, on Flickr

Now, this wasn't happening dry, there were no bubbles i double and triple checked all seams before i left the store. It happened after i filled it. With a lot of research I've found others with similar issues. They are saying that its due to the stress of the bowing but it isn't a structural issue. To test this i squeezed the panels together and watched the bubbles disappear then reappear as i let go. Now i have no idea how this doesn't affect it structurally, but if there's any merit to the posts i found, they had contacted aqueon and posted their response and it clearly stated that.

Whats everyone think?????

Damn that sucks! Take it back.

Aqueon's response....

Hi Justin,

Thanks for the email!

When tanks this size are put together at the seam, the silicone pushes together and squishes out. As it dries, air bubbles may form inside the actual seam and stretch out. If tiny enough they may not be noticeable until water is added to the tank and water pressure pushes on the glass panels stretching them a bit. This is not something that will have any effect on the integrity of the tank. Most all of the larger tanks do have this happen to them, as the glass gets heavier and the maneuverability during construction gets more difficult. It can also depend on the climate on the individual day that this run of tanks were built. Moisture in the air can affect this process as well. The silicone is designed to have some stretch otherwise if the tank was glued using a ridged adhesive and gets jostled sideways at all, the seam would break away. The elasticity of the silicone prevents that from happening and maintains the water tight seal all at the same time. These bubbles can have several different “looks” and are not uncommon posing no threat to the integrity of the tank.

Aqueons next response after i sent them the picture...

Justin,

From the photo you sent the structure of the tank appears to be sound and the bubbles are not effecting the integrity of the tank. If you are still uneasy, because this was a new purchase I would recommend exchanging it through the store. If the store cannot help, the Aqueon 40Br tank has a 5yr warranty in which the tank can be replaced once after all the correct information is collect. You will also be required to empty the tank and return it to the store. Please let me know how you would like to proceed.

• Like 1

Good news.

Talked to my LFS they are ordering me a new tank and exchanging it.

I also spoke with aqueon about when my heater began shocking me. They sent me a new 200w heater no charge.

So i must say Aqueon has been great and very responsive with my tank issues and the heater.

Lets just hope the 40 i get later this week doesnt do the same thing.

• Like 4
Steensj2004

I had two in a row do this on me, it's apparently normal and just the way they are. I refused to risk it and upgraded to the 75 instead. My bubbles and the white haze grew slowly, not my idea of,"Normal." I know it's more money but you might consider a Deep Blue if the new one does the same thing.

CatfishSoupFTW

there are some great chinese starfire tanks out there. I own a few and I love them. Clean seams, no bubbles, rimless, crystal clear and best of alll... CHEAP! or well... somewhat. A 21 gal is about 160 after tax. but, best of luck if you keep with what you got ! im sure it will hold watta

I had two in a row do this on me, it's apparently normal and just the way they are. I refused to risk it and upgraded to the 75 instead. My bubbles and the white haze grew slowly, not my idea of,"Normal." I know it's more money but you might consider a Deep Blue if the new one does the same thing.

Yea im hoping the next one doesnt do the same to me. I was considering Deep blues. But i brought the tank back to my LFS and the owner actually has the deep blue 80s as his frag tanks and we went around all of them and noticed they all showed some bubbling but not to the extent mine did. Those tanks were running with no problems for 5+years.

there are some great chinese starfire tanks out there. I own a few and I love them. Clean seams, no bubbles, rimless, crystal clear and best of alll... CHEAP! or well... somewhat. A 21 gal is about 160 after tax. but, best of luck if you keep with what you got ! im sure it will hold watta

Thanks, Its an option, but if i were to go custom id do it the right way and either go with a well known big name or a local company.