Pod Your Reef

Arce's Tank

Arce

Oh the possibilities! Lunch, coral shopping, drinks after work, bubble tea. :)

Lol yep! Sucks tho because i have class every night so i have to rush out im the afternoons.

Havent touched my tank other than throwing in tons of food for the past two weeks... Everything looks... Happy. No idea what my alk is, been feeding and broadcasting food like crazy, havent done a waterchange.

So far the i dont give a crap anymore method has been working...

No signs of worms either. Going to dip to ensure i got them, once i upgrade i need to be 100% sure i took care of them.

• Like 5

So far the i dont give a crap anymore method has been working...

I also sometimes employ this method. Glad you aren't seeing any more worms!

• Like 1

Mandarin stopped eating frozen.

Still havent done a waterchange.

Still dont see worms or signs of worms, i never did a second dip.

Alk is stable but higher than usual, 8.6. Hasnt budged much for a month+ now which im fine with.

Looking into the upgrade still. Trying to plan logistics.

Hmm, absorbing what you said.

Hmm the Mandy isn't eating, not good. Get a batch of live black worms.

I dont have time to drive up to clifton. Im going to try different frozens. He pecked at mysis but spit it back out. Tried reef frenzy but ignored it. Going to get brine today maybe and try that. Even ignored frozen bbs. Might be a losing battle.

Did a water change for the first time in what 3 weeks? Idr anymore, the days have been blending together. Soooo busy with the new job and then school every night. Thank god i only have another two weeks of this semester.

In good news the mandarin chowed down on some frozen brine. I think he was just being a picky eater and got tired of mysis....

I have been looking at the upgrade possibilities. I think I'm going to go with a standard 40b, and buy a stand. I built my last one but i don't have the time to make another.

Since I'm going with a standard 40b none of the brands have a built in overflow, so i may just go with glass holes again. Really didn't want to have to drill a tank again but it may be my only option since i don't want to go custom or larger. Now i have to decide if i want to get a 700 gph or reuse the one i have on my 29 which has a 300gph max. I've always preferred a lower flow through the sump but cant decide.

Then the major issue comes with the scape. I want to go with new rock, no doubt. Starting dry again just like when i started the 29. My thoughts are, take the rocks from the 29 which are full of life and put them into the 40 to seed the new rock, either in the DT for a temporary amount of time or in the sump.

• Like 1

Did a water change for the first time in what 3 weeks? Idr anymore, the days have been blending together. Soooo busy with the new job and then school every night. Thank god i only have another two weeks of this semester.

In good news the mandarin chowed down on some frozen brine. I think he was just being a picky eater and got tired of mysis....

I have been looking at the upgrade possibilities. I think I'm going to go with a standard 40b, and buy a stand. I built my last one but i don't have the time to make another.

Since I'm going with a standard 40b none of the brands have a built in overflow, so i may just go with glass holes again. Really didn't want to have to drill a tank again but it may be my only option since i don't want to go custom or larger. Now i have to decide if i want to get a 700 gph or reuse the one i have on my 29 which has a 300gph max. I've always preferred a lower flow through the sump but cant decide.

Then the major issue comes with the scape. I want to go with new rock, no doubt. Starting dry again just like when i started the 29. My thoughts are, take the rocks from the 29 which are full of life and put them into the 40 to seed the new rock, either in the DT for a temporary amount of time or in the sump.

I vote for option 3: send all of your rock, with coral attached, to me! :lol: LOL

In all seriousness, I say definitely keep it. Throw it in the sump to seed the new rock.

• Like 1

You're still keeping the old rock right?

There is no option of throwing it out. Not sure if i was just not explaining myself properly in the previous post. Definitely keeping the old rock for obvious reasons.

Either i cycle the dry on its own, then put the tank up with the old rock in the sump, or temporarily place everything in the 40b DT from the start and put the corals on the eggcrate above all of the rocks like a frag tank till the new rock gains some life.

Right now my 29 looks like a frag tank with a huge sheet of eggcrate only inches from the surface holding all my corals. For one thing its proved the higher light has been doing better for a couple pieces.

I vote for option 3: send all of your rock, with coral attached, to me! :lol: LOL

In all seriousness, I say definitely keep it. Throw it in the sump to seed the new rock.

Lol you dont want my nasty bugs tho!

• Like 1

Throw new rock in the old setup to seed. much better option

But, im not integrating it into the new scape. So the new scape will be all new rocks and i will be using mortar like my 29. I have a new vision for how i want it to look so i cant really utilize any of my old rock.

I think i will just make the new scape, and break up the old one and place it on and around till the life spreads on the new rock, should only be a month or two. Then ill take the old and throw it in the sump.

Or throw the new rock in the old system while you set up the old system so it seeds. Then make your scape, then put the the old rock in with the new in the new system to continue the seeding. I thought I would be able to transfer everything in a month or less, took me 3+.

Or throw the new rock in the old system while you set up the old system so it seeds. Then make your scape, then put the the old rock in with the new in the new system to continue the seeding. I thought I would be able to transfer everything in a month or less, took me 3+.

I dont think i could fit anything else in the 29. I would need the room the 40 would give to be able to do both old and new rocks in one tank for seeding.

ah, gotcha

Yea i thought about that but im looking at another 40 pounds + of rock, wouldn't work, id have to take the corals out. My thinking is, since the 29 is bb its a simple switch to the 40 and just do it in there.

Yea i thought about that but im looking at another 40 pounds + of rock, wouldn't work, id have to take the corals out. My thinking is, since the 29 is bb its a simple switch to the 40 and just do it in there.

Except you would need a lot more water and new water would be new. Whenever you do water changes, keep the old water, throw it in the 40 and get that going.

Might have found a 40b stand on craigslist. Hopefully i can grab it because i can save a few bucks, but the seller wants to sell a tank and a bunch of other crap with it. I have a thing about buying used tanks, freaks me out, i don't think id ever use a used one for my own sanity. Might just buy the package and resell what i don't want, just don't want to take the risk of not being able to sell and losing more money.

• Like 1

Might have found a 40b stand on craigslist. Hopefully i can grab it because i can save a few bucks, but the seller wants to sell a tank and a bunch of other crap with it. I have a thing about buying used tanks, freaks me out, i don't think id ever use a used one for my own sanity. Might just buy the package and resell what i don't want, just don't want to take the risk of not being able to sell and losing more money.

i am with you on used tanks. I never buy tanks used because i have seen too many hobbyist scratch the daylights out of their glass when i maintenanced tanks.

• Like 2

i am with you on used tanks. I never buy tanks used because i have seen too many hobbyist scratch the daylights out of their glass when i maintenanced tanks.

Yep, and you dont know how they treat it so its bugs me. Could end up blowing a seam because they scrap the silicone ya kno. I'm cringing even buying a stand used because that could be catastrophic. Really just trying to save money and time. I just get paranoid sometimes.

• Like 1

Yep, and you dont know how they treat it so its bugs me. Could end up blowing a seam because they scrap the silicone ya kno. I'm cringing even buying a stand used because that could be catastrophic. Really just trying to save money and time. I just get paranoid sometimes.

I think you are OK with the stand if it looks structurally sound and sits level.

• Like 1

I have seen some people get somewhat cheap pieces of furniture that are acutally hard wood from Homegoods. They seem to work well as a stand. Also, I know some people have scored nice stands at their local goodwill. Just a couple places you might want to try looking if you are trying to save some money and time.

• Like 1