ReefCleaners.org

Arce's Tank

Arce

I think you are OK with the stand if it looks structurally sound and sits level.

Yup, going to hopefully check it this weekend.

I have seen some people get somewhat cheap pieces of furniture that are acutally hard wood from Homegoods. They seem to work well as a stand. Also, I know some people have scored nice stands at their local goodwill. Just a couple places you might want to try looking if you are trying to save some money and time.

Thats a good idea thanks!

When I upgraded I moved all rock from my other tanks. You either need to continue what you have with more space or decide to start over with all new. I hate starting over. :)

When I upgraded I moved all rock from my other tanks. You either need to continue what you have with more space or decide to start over with all new. I hate starting over. :)

I definitely dont want to start over, that would be a poor choice. Im going to set up the 40b make my new scape and all with dry and mortar. Put the new scape in and break up the old to fit around it. After life starts spreading ill move the old to the sump.

• Like 1

I dont think i could fit anything else in the 29. I would need the room the 40 would give to be able to do both old and new rocks in one tank for seeding.

Why not setup the new tank with the new rock and then just add 1 or 2 pieces of the old rock to the new tank to seed. Meanwhile, just keep everything else in the old tank for a month or so until the new tank cycles. Then, you can slowly move everything over to the new tank, including at least 1 more bayer dip in the process. You can then take out the 1 or 2 pieces of old rock and just throw it in the sump or whatever you want.

• Like 1

You have to keep 2 tanks running for a couple of months to get the new tank up to speed before the transfer.

Not possible. This is my plan..

Use 100% of my old water and fill the remaining missing with new mixed (Might even save water from my changes for a week or two to minimize how much new water i use). Place and plumb new tank in the preferred spot. At that point everything will be in buckets temporarily (only a couple hours). Place new scape into the tank after its ready. Put old scape in surrounding the new rock. Fill and move over livestock. Done.

The new scape i do plan to soak for a week or two, just to get rid of initial dust and might throw in some LR from a lfs to get some bacteria going.

Thats gonna be a lot of stress and definitely opens the door for a minicycle. It may or may not happen, but personally it is just not a risk I would be willing to take, especially with the amount of amazing livestock that you have.

Thats gonna be a lot of stress and definitely opens the door for a minicycle. It may or may not happen, but personally it is just not a risk I would be willing to take, especially with the amount of amazing livestock that you have.

I dont think it will be that bad. I plan to soak the new rock in a separate bin way before everything for at least a couple weeks, like i said i may throw some LR in from my LFS to help boost it, or maybe bottle bacteria again.

Not possible. This is my plan..

Use 100% of my old water and fill the remaining missing with new mixed (Might even save water from my changes for a week or two to minimize how much new water i use). Place and plumb new tank in the preferred spot. At that point everything will be in buckets temporarily (only a couple hours). Place new scape into the tank after its ready. Put old scape in surrounding the new rock. Fill and move over livestock. Done.

The new scape i do plan to soak for a week or two, just to get rid of initial dust and might throw in some LR from a lfs to get some bacteria going.

Water doesn't contain any beneficial bacteria, so using old water won't help you. in fact, it's not a good idea because it can contain phosphates, nitrates and have depleted elements. mature rock and sand is your best bet.

• Like 1

Water doesn't contain any beneficial bacteria, so using old water won't help you. in fact, it's not a good idea because it can contain phosphates, nitrates and have depleted elements. mature rock and sand is your best bet.

Its not the bacteria im looking to transfer through the old water. Its dissolved solids and wastes which feed and make healthy SPS :happy: . My system has nearly no phos and nitrates, not worried about that. Also using the old water to not shock my SPS due to swinging params in alk and such. The old rocks are whats going to transfer over the bacteria and life, and the new rock will be mini-cycled in a tub for a couple weeks. When i set up the 29 i used Dr. Tims bottled bacteria and cycled in a week, that will be enough to get a decent start of bacteria on the new rock. Doesn't need to be much since im carrying over the old as well.

• Like 1

Tell me about the pests in your tank. Seen any more? Just saw it the one time on the one colony?

Was the colony looking different that made you inspect it?

Saw them on two pieces, and i predict that they were what killed my tenius. Saw circular bites and then i physically saw a couple on one piece.

Haven't seen them since the last dip, i was dragging out the second dip out of curiosity. I will probably do another dip just for safety soon and then another one again right before i do the upgrade.

Everything looks happy and healthy, no more bite marks and anything that had bite marks healed up. Only casualties were the tenius and then a blue acro i had.

My thoughts are, that those two pieces had the majority of the bugs on it, so when i pulled them out, which i did before it was bone white, i probably pulled the most of the worms out. Then the ones i saw afterward were probably left overs.

The only reason i even saw them was because i was taking close up shots of my blue voodoo and noticed circular bite marks. Then i literally inspected every inch of coral and noticed them on a couple pieces, they are damn hard to see.

• Like 1

Gotta love Craig's list! It looks like an Aqueon stand which is what both of mine are. One caution, since the stand is made for the tank to sit on top and does not had a recessed lip for it to sit down in, it can potentially move. My tanks sit near our front door and my old 90 had slowly moved an eighth inch or so from the vibration in the floor after a year of being up. We had to empty most of the tank, put rubber capped screws to act as stoppers on the inside of the bottom of the aquarium so it could not travel. I did the same thing with my bowfront and neither of those tanks ever moved again.

Gotta love Craig's list! It looks like an Aqueon stand which is what both of mine are. One caution, since the stand is made for the tank to sit on top and does not had a recessed lip for it to sit down in, it can potentially move. My tanks sit near our front door and my old 90 had slowly moved an eighth inch or so from the vibration in the floor after a year of being up. We had to empty most of the tank, put rubber capped screws to act as stoppers on the inside of the bottom of the aquarium so it could not travel. I did the same thing with my bowfront and neither of those tanks ever moved again.

Good to know.

I had one of these when i had a 55 gallon standard fowlr. I dont remember mine moving but ill keep it in mind. I was considering throwing a piece of plywood ontop because i hate not having a ledge around the tank. Makes it easier when doing maintenance to have somewhere to place things and all. I could also just put L brackets on the sides and back or something for the heck of it. Well see.

I need to decide what overflow to use if im going with the 40b. Part of me wants to keep the one i have on my 29 to save my wallet. Its a 300gph glass holes overflow. Then others have suggested the 700gph glass holes. Not sure.

• Like 1

I don't see why you couldn't use your current overflow. You don't need a lot of flow through the sump. A lot of people believe it helps to have less flow as you filtration can work more effectively.

• Like 4

I don't see why you couldn't use your current overflow. You don't need a lot of flow through the sump. A lot of people believe it helps to have less flow as you filtration can work more effectively.

Yea thats my thoughts as well.

People, i need your opinions. My girlfriend is graduating from college in three weeks. Usually I'm good with gifts but between work and finals I've had zero thoughts. What would be a good gift? My fall back is a whole spa day but want to get something a little more memorable as she is the sentimental type. Thoughts?

• Like 1