SaltCritters.com

Nano Box Owners Thread

DaveFason

Work has turned my life into hell of late, but the long holiday weekend has given me a breather. So, without further ado... here are my NanoBoxes to add to the list of owners, a Quad over my Nuvo24 and a Mini over my Nuvo8. This picture was taken about a month ago when I first got them set up:

SideBySide_zpsde7fce97.jpg

I've been delighted with the lights since I got them. Color blending is fantastic and there is no "disco ball" effect whatsoever. IDK if it is the effect of the lime LEDs, but the light is bright. Zoas that had been reaching for light under the Maxspect no longer are doing so, and their colors are better. My Palythoa grandis, which I had bought with great green coloration that faded out under the Maxspect, have also regained their green. The quality of the light is fantastic too; somehow my Nuvo8 just looked cleaner after I mounted the NanoBox. Taking pictures under these lights is also nice. I don't have to tweak nearly as much in Photoshop as I did before. Mind you, this is just with a iPhone4s.

For a balanced review, I feel like I should point out some negatives. (Sorry, Dave!) If you are impatient, the build time for these puppies will kill you. But, for a totally customizable light, it was well worth it. The other negative IMO is the loudness of the fans. My Maxspect just had passive cooling, so having fans on at all was a big change. That being said though, the fan on the Mini is pretty noisy. On my Quad, I can power off the fans at night since they run on a separate power source. On the Mini, the lights and fan are on the same power source. Since I want to run a moonlight, I can't power off the fan. Other than that though, these lights are amazeballs!

• Like 1

Thanks Mirya! I am working on a few different options of the fans. Only if I could get my hands on a super silent and tony fan :)

Cant wait until your work schedule calms down and more photos.

-Dave

I am setting up my new Mini Tide over a PicO 5gal AIO and i have a question.

I've been using PAR 38s for quite awhile and i'm used to my lights being 8 to 12" above the water but with the gooseneck that my light came with, i'm only able to get it 5" up while centering the light (front to back)

on the display.

What height does everyone keep theirs at and is 5" not too close?

• Like 1

I am setting up my new Mini Tide over a PicO 5gal AIO and i have a question.

I've been using PAR 38s for quite awhile and i'm used to my lights being 8 to 12" above the water but with the gooseneck that my light came with, i'm only able to get it 5" up while centering the light (front to back)

on the display.

What height does everyone keep theirs at and is 5" not too close?

Just run these settings. 120 blue channel 90 white.

-D

Still tinkering with the new light, and this isn't the tank it will be over (this one is losing it's structure, but IM hasn't sent my new IM10 yet). Love it so far!

20140907_092445.jpg

20140907_092452.jpg

A bit of daylight is splashing into the tank here, but you can get a feel for the light. I want a 12-14K look.

• 4 weeks later...

Since I am now the owner of two nanobox lights, I figured it was time to post here.

Tide over my 5 gallon:

DSC00306.jpg

15139829769_7938bcc743_c.jpg92214 by rocksmom9, on Flickr

And the Eco over my 3 gallon:

15490224472_0eb8d88612_c.jpgDSC00709 by rocksmom9, on Flickr

15304010727_a359775a41_c.jpgDSC00710 by rocksmom9, on Flickr

I was concerned about the Eco before it arrived due to the lack of control, but the "stock" settings Dave sent it with are beautiful. Reminds me very much of a 14K Pheonix which I personally love. Excited to see some corals under it.

• Like 3

Since I am now the owner of two nanobox lights, I figured it was time to post here.

Tide over my 5 gallon:

DSC00306.jpg

15139829769_7938bcc743_c.jpg92214 by rocksmom9, on Flickr

And the Eco over my 3 gallon:

15490224472_0eb8d88612_c.jpgDSC00709 by rocksmom9, on Flickr

15304010727_a359775a41_c.jpgDSC00710 by rocksmom9, on Flickr

I was concerned about the Eco before it arrived due to the lack of control, but the "stock" settings Dave sent it with are beautiful. Reminds me very much of a 14K Pheonix which I personally love. Excited to see some corals under it.

Love this! Thanks so much. I think the color spectrum is perfect for a plug and play option.

-Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Updated the picture in post 319.

The colors are really close to what I see in real life with 180 blue, and 160 white. Although I my array is slightly more white than what Dave's standard array is.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...