inTank Media Baskets

Nano Box Owners Thread

DaveFason

Question for Nanobox owners since I haven't seen one in person yet.

How is the color? In some pictures it looks pretty purple. I really like the 18-20,000K look that Kessil LEDs have, can a Quad replicate that color? I like a very pure blue without being Windex blue. Similar to the blue color of a 20,000K Radium MH bulb.

jedimasterben

Question for Nanobox owners since I haven't seen one in person yet.

How is the color? In some pictures it looks pretty purple. I really like the 18-20,000K look that Kessil LEDs have, can a Quad replicate that color? I like a very pure blue without being Windex blue. Similar to the blue color of a 20,000K Radium MH bulb.

You're sending mixed signals lol. Pure blue means blue. Radium 20K really aren't all that blue unless you're running them improperly. They're a crisp white with a blue overtone, nothing over the top like people associate with '20K'. You can make it as blue or not blue as you like.

• Like 2

Here's when I first set up the tank and hadn't hung the light yet :)

34Nov_zps4e15a748.jpg

Now it's hung and I can't get a picture with the tank and light in the same shot, the room is too small.

fulltank1_zpsf51a1804.jpg

It looks more blue than it is. I think cameras might be sensitive to the blue LEDs. Not sure

• Like 2

You're sending mixed signals lol. Pure blue means blue. Radium 20K really aren't all that blue unless you're running them improperly. They're a crisp white with a blue overtone, nothing over the top like people associate with '20K'. You can make it as blue or not blue as you like.

derp. You got me there lol.

Sorry, when I was saying pure blue I guess I was meaning more of the crisp white/blue of the 20K Radium bulb. I think the easiest way to describe it is I essentially want to replicate the Radium 20K color, though my concern is that a lot of the pictures seem to be purpleish.

Halo_003 I can make my tank as Blue or as White as it gets with my quad and then anything you can think of in between, I had a Mini Tide to start and then had to supplement with a kessil because it wasn't enough because I just kept upgrading, and now to the Quad and would do it again, any day of the week. The quad is IN MY OPINION better than two kessils would be.

Hope that helps

• Like 1
jedimasterben

derp. You got me there lol.

Sorry, when I was saying pure blue I guess I was meaning more of the crisp white/blue of the 20K Radium bulb. I think the easiest way to describe it is I essentially want to replicate the Radium 20K color, though my concern is that a lot of the pictures seem to be purpleish.

Don't forget that most of these photos are taken with smartphones which don't understand the narrow spectral half-widths of blue LEDs :)

• Like 4

Excellent, Quad is the way I'll go then when I end up purchasing.

The only big nice thing about the Kessil's was that I could space out the $$$ hurt lol. Oh well, I will just continue saving and swing for a Quad then.

• Like 3
Don't forget that most of these photos are taken with smartphones which don't understand the narrow spectral half-widths of blue LEDs :)

+1

My tank is not that purple. lol

• Like 1

Full tank shot from last month:

15540982888_5fc9fdc2de.jpg

Question for anyone with a 5 gallon doing SPS - my color is just not what it should be. This is an iPhone pic, but you can tell the colors are pretty meh. The tri-color acro (to immediate right of dragon's breath algae) is brown, not the brilliant purple it should be. I have a blue tip acro (big one in middle) that's just brown with greenish tints. My purple stylo is barely purple on the ends of the polyps, so on and so forth.

The question is what settings are your NanoBox MiniTide at? I have mine on a Storm with 220 blue and 140 white, slightly angled as you can see at bout 7" above the water. Too strong? Too weak? I'm making a more detailed parameters thread elsewhere, and don't want to hijack this thread, but just wanted some quick feedback or even bragging pics of good color on SPS with a NanoBox.

• Like 2
jedimasterben

Question for anyone with a 5 gallon doing SPS - my color is just not what it should be. This is an iPhone pic, but you can tell the colors are pretty meh. The tri-color acro (to immediate right of dragon's breath algae) is brown, not the brilliant purple it should be. I have a blue tip acro (big one in middle) that's just brown with greenish tints. My purple stylo is barely purple on the ends of the polyps, so on and so forth.

The question is what settings are your NanoBox MiniTide at? I have mine on a Storm with 220 blue and 140 white, slightly angled as you can see at bout 7" above the water. Too strong? Too weak? I'm making a more detailed parameters thread elsewhere, and don't want to hijack this thread, but just wanted some quick feedback or even bragging pics of good color on SPS with a NanoBox.

More than likely an issue with phosphate levels. Some tanks can have phosphate levels exceeding 1.0ppm with unreal color, others get 'meh' looking even nearing 0.05ppm.

• Like 1

I got my Nanobox Mini Tide set up on my IM Fusion 10. I'm currently running blues at 140 and whites at 70. My poor camera has a terrible time with this color mix, and I haven't been able to get a truly accurate white balance in post processing. However, this picture is fairly close. It looks more blue in reality than it does in this picture.

15801366460_bbdf03a1d6_b.jpg

The tank is new, so there's not much in it yet besides what came on the live rock and the clean up crew :)

• Like 4

Did you check the thread that drama started. Try angling the light down as well.

-Dave

Did you check the thread that drama started. Try angling the light down as well.

-Dave

Took me a minute to figure out drama was a person :) Very helpful, thanks.

I'll angle the light down, but since the Spec V is so long, to get less shadows on the far end, I had to angle it up a bit. I can compensate for this by incresing intensity, but am afraid of going too high. Will do it slow, but since it's already at 220 blue and 140 white (Mini Tide), how much farther would you recommend going? I'm thinking 245 and 180 to still get the color balance I like.

• Like 1

Took me a minute to figure out drama was a person :) Very helpful, thanks.

I'll angle the light down, but since the Spec V is so long, to get less shadows on the far end, I had to angle it up a bit. I can compensate for this by incresing intensity, but am afraid of going too high. Will do it slow, but since it's already at 220 blue and 140 white (Mini Tide), how much farther would you recommend going? I'm thinking 245 and 180 to still get the color balance I like.

Honestly not sure if raising in the answer. I had a Mini over a 24x14x14 tank and within the 18"x12" middle area I had SPS growing and colored great. have you check some of the other issues, params, etc? Could you possibly swap the rocks positioning?

-Dave

IMG_20141206_143609485_HDR.jpg

What a great set up. What are the dimensions of the tank?

Honestly not sure if raising in the answer. I had a Mini over a 24x14x14 tank and within the 18"x12" middle area I had SPS growing and colored great. have you check some of the other issues, params, etc? Could you possibly swap the rocks positioning?

-Dave

What were the settings on the Mini in the 24x14x14 tank? Here's a link to my thread detailing all the parameters and variables I can think of. Pretty sure it's primarily a water issue, but came here to explore all variables.

What a great set up. What are the dimensions of the tank?

It's a Cadlights 7 gallon Zen tank. Hmm... looks like their doing a bit of site maintenance so I can't look up the exact dimensions for you. I'll measure when I get home.

• 3 weeks later...

Got my Duo from Dave a few months ago but did not have time to start my tank. Here is the beggining of my set up just trying everything out and still not sure how to set the lights to take better picture. If anyone can tell me how it'll be great. Told Dave I will post pictures of the lights and here it is.

http://s1102.photobucket.com/user/flobees1/media/imagejpg1.jpg.html'>imagejpg1.jpg

http://s1102.photobucket.com/user/flobees1/media/imagejpg2.jpg.html'>imagejpg2.jpg

http://s1102.photobucket.com/user/flobees1/media/imagejpg3.jpg.html'>imagejpg3.jpg

• Like 3

As Southflorida_Tron said ......the dr. Suess highlighter tank??? It's a good name for it ....i think......haha

It's a custom acrylic tank around the measurement is 36 x 12 x 12 .

Gonna try and properly set it up early January. Will post more pic then. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...