Pod Your Reef

Hypes Edgeless Ridge Islet-Complete

Rehype

Saw those red/marble starfish for sale at the LFS today. I nearly got one, but was afraid it wouldn't have enough to eat.

I've got 10 hermits, an urchin, 3 large turbos, and a handful of collonista snails in my BC29. I keep it pretty clean. Thoughts on if a starfish would be a good/bad idea?

Well ive only had success with the linckia family... this species are alot tougher as they feed on certain types of microalgae/microfauna thats typically present in older systems. In fact I have no real way of telling if mine is doing well or not as they can go months without feeding. Ive recently let the algae grow a bit more freely in hopes of providing more food for him and have also made some attempts to target feed (no success with that method just yet) I would say let your system mature to at least a year before trying this species.

• Like 1

Saw those red/marble starfish for sale at the LFS today. I nearly got one, but was afraid it wouldn't have enough to eat.

I've got 10 hermits, an urchin, 3 large turbos, and a handful of collonista snails in my BC29. I keep it pretty clean. Thoughts on if a starfish would be a good/bad idea?

Take a look at this article on starfish. Really, the entire section about starfish on WetWebMedia is worth a look for anyone considering getting one.

In a 30 gallon tank, you would have to feed the starfish (purposefully) even if it was the only scavenger in the tank. So since you already have a large CUC, you would basically need to feed it like you feed your fish. This would probably require target feeding; they are slow eaters.

On another forum, someone mentioned that they feed their starfish by removing it from the tank and putting it in a tupperware with the food so that it could take all the time it needed to eat and digest without other fish/critters stealing its meal. I think that would be a really good way for you to feed your starfish, if you do decide to go back and get one.

• Like 1

Take a look at this article on starfish. Really, the entire section about starfish on WetWebMedia is worth a look for anyone considering getting one.

Thank you so much! I will hold off until I have a larger, more mature reef going!

On another forum, someone mentioned that they feed their starfish by removing it from the tank and putting it in a tupperware with the food so that it could take all the time it needed to eat and digest without other fish/critters stealing its meal. I think that would be a really good way for you to feed your starfish, if you do decide to go back and get one.

nanosapiens mentioned this method a few pages ago...excellent idea but the issue is presenting food the starfish is interested in. This species is know to graze on microfauna which isnt something you can target feed. Ive tried numerous foods so far and its showed absolutely no interest but Ill keep at it and let you guys know if I have success.

• Like 1

Thank you so much! I will hold off until I have a larger, more mature reef going!

No worries :) Im hoping I can keep this guy long term.

more stargazing :wub:

16183545297_f3790d5a8f_c.jpg

• Like 20

What species is your starfish, rehype? It is gorgeous!

I don't know how feasible this would be for you, but on Wet Web Media, they mentioned that anyone hoping to keep a sand sifting starfish alive in the long term should periodically replace the top layer of sand with live sand to replenish the community of fauna living in the sand. Maybe something similar could help you? But, like I said, I don't know if that is feasible in a tank like yours, with so many things growing on the sand. Stirred up sand might clog up the sponges, too, if it doesn't resettle quickly enough. Just something to consider, I suppose.

What species is your starfish, rehype? It is gorgeous!

I don't know how feasible this would be for you, but on Wet Web Media, they mentioned that anyone hoping to keep a sand sifting starfish alive in the long term should periodically replace the top layer of sand with live sand to replenish the community of fauna living in the sand. Maybe something similar could help you? But, like I said, I don't know if that is feasible in a tank like yours, with so many things growing on the sand. Stirred up sand might clog up the sponges, too, if it doesn't resettle quickly enough. Just something to consider, I suppose.

Thanks alot its a marbled starfish. Its not a sandsifter as it spends its time on the rocks or glass looking for food.

You keep putting up pics like that and we never have any other feeling but envy. :wub:

Thanks so much :blush:

jedimasterben

I need that pink star but only if there is evidence that it can be kept alive. :( Linkias are delicate also, you look at one and poof.

Stay safe Eugene, hope we don't have a power outage.

That one is Fromia star, not Linckia. Not that much of greater chance of survival since they are treated the same on the way over here, but anything is better than the dismal Linckia survival rates :(

That one is Fromia star, not Linckia. Not that much of greater chance of survival since they are treated the same on the way over here, but anything is better than the dismal Linckia survival rates :(

Yeah I know it's a fromia. :slap:

Did you see that It's pink.

This tank..... just :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Thanks so much really appreciate it :blush:

I need that pink star but only if there is evidence that it can be kept alive. :( Linkias are delicate also, you look at one and poof.

Stay safe Eugene, hope we don't have a power outage.

Yea i took i definitely took a gamble with this one but only because it was such a good looking specimen and my tank was a over a year old. Im going to keep trying different things to hopefully trigger a feeding response....ill keep you guys posted.Linckia are really delicate although ive had the most success with them.

You too kat be safe. Yea im hoping we dont lose power.

I agree.... the one blue linckia I had success with was one from a shipment of 8 stars all of the others died within a week.

I'm in eastern ct we got wompedd on but all is well now nompower lossage but I can imagine the anxiety with a reef tank! I wasn't worried to about my fresh wter. Glad every one was safe. Btw I saw this species of star at my lfs it was red though had it priced for 69. Looked to be a marbleed been staying on the glass and rock but they labled it as a different species, good price?

I'm in eastern ct we got wompedd on but all is well now nompower lossage but I can imagine the anxiety with a reef tank! I wasn't worried to about my fresh wter. Glad every one was safe. Btw I saw this species of star at my lfs it was red though had it priced for 69. Looked to be a marbleed been staying on the glass and rock but they labled it as a different species, good price?

Thats really good to hear glad everything is fine :) The storm mostly missed us I think we only got around 6". But $69 is pretty steep...mine was only $25

Its a big boy but good to know even though I'm a long ways out on even cycling, every time I get the urge but can't I take a peak here ahhahahah

lol thanks mark dont worry the time flies...

^^ I agree I don't have a tank but hopefully soon. I come here and just go through old pics occasionally

Thanks alot cam. Look forward to seeing you a start a build..Have you decided on a tank yet?

• Like 1

I'm thinking the fluval Evo 12, a fluval sea M-60 or a cadlights 34g but only if I have the room. If all else fails I'll do a flu all edge or Evo 5 on my nightstand aha. Either way I'm getting something salty eventually.

I'm thinking the fluval Evo 12, a fluval sea M-60 or a cadlights 34g but only if I have the room. If all else fails I'll do a flu all edge or Evo 5 on my nightstand aha. Either way I'm getting something salty eventually.

That M-60 is a beauty would love to see what you would do with that...

• 2 weeks later...
skyscraper2290

i love this tank, have you though about changing the plastic plants for a magrove or something like that?

I think they are actually air plants if I remember right from earlier in the build, could be wrong though