Pod Your Reef

My 20-Gallon (Tall) Softie/lps Nano-Reef!

Fishgirl2393

But you have used tap before and had to restart your tank. So why ask about tap water again? I can't help you if you evade questions.

Denitrification comes from anoxic bacterial activity from deep within the pores of rock and under the surface of the sand. These bacteria do not reproduce quickly, nor do they absorb large amounts of nitrate, so it takes a very long time for the last step of the nitrogen cycle to truly 'complete'. It will come with time, but I would honestly not expect to see it any time soon (6 months to a year, maybe). You can speed up via the addition of something like Dr Tim's Waste Away, which contains several strains of dentrifying bacteria, but again, they will not establish immediately as they only live in areas that are extremely low in (or devoid of) oxygen. You would be far better off to use an algae scrubber to reduce nitrogen and phosphorus levels, and you will see an increase in overall water quality, as well. Look into that once you have a sump added to the system, or you can DIY a hang on glass type.
  • Like 2
Fishgirl2393

OK. I know an algae scrubber is in the near future. I just don't get why my nitrates are so high. Anyone have any ideas? And other than water changes to lower them, how can I KEEP them low?

• Like 1

Only by removing them at a higher rate than you add them can you keep them low.

That means light feedings and top off with RO/DI as well as using macroalgae to bind nitrate and phosphate or using a protein skimmer. Otherwise a water change just removes a percentage of total nitrates.

• Like 1
Fishgirl2393

OK. I'm using a protein skimmer but for about a week or so, it wasn't producing skimmate (needed new airpump) so I guess it's possible the nitrates went up because of that. I don't feed much at all (I've fed liquid food a couple of times since I started the tank back up but nothing else food-wise). I'm running a HOB (Aqua-Tech 5-15 with supposed 100GPH) and have one Koralia 425.

That means light feedings and top off with RO/DI as well as using macroalgae to bind nitrate and phosphate or using a protein skimmer. Otherwise a water change just removes a percentage of total nitrates.

Other than NOT adding nutrients back, does topping off regularly with RO/DI do anything (I mean, specifically, does topping off with a good water source keep nitrates low somehow???)? Will the system ever get to the point where it can handle a larger bioload (as it is, I don't want to add ANYTHING else until the nitrates are under control)? How fast would you EXPECT (I understand every tank is different) my nitrates to climb (ppm per week)?

Other than NOT adding nutrients back, does topping off regularly with RO/DI do anything (I mean, specifically, does topping off with a good water source keep nitrates low somehow???)? Will the system ever get to the point where it can handle a larger bioload (as it is, I don't want to add ANYTHING else until the nitrates are under control)? How fast would you EXPECT (I understand every tank is different) my nitrates to climb (ppm per week)?

It wouldn't change the actual amount of nitrate in the water but topping off with RO/DI water would increase total water volume without adding anything else to the tank thereby lowering the concentrations of any nutrients/minerals/polutants/etc..

It will not affect the way your bacteria colonies can handle the bioload directly. It will however ensure you are not adding more nutrients and thereby not increasing the workload of your bacteria colonies indirectly allowing them to deal with the bioload more efficiently.

• Like 3

OK. I'm using a protein skimmer but for about a week or so, it wasn't producing skimmate (needed new airpump) so I guess it's possible the nitrates went up because of that.

Possibly but they still have to be added somehow.

I don't feed much at all (I've fed liquid food a couple of times since I started the tank back up but nothing else food-wise).

Be careful with liquid foods. They can quickly foul your water if you feed too much with nothing to eat/catch it. I would only feed pellets and mysis or something similar to your fish. The coral should be fine without supplemental feeding at this stage.

Other than NOT adding nutrients back, does topping off regularly with RO/DI do anything (I mean, specifically, does topping off with a good water source keep nitrates low somehow???)?

What Horerczy said.

• Like 2
Fishgirl2393

Thanks. So, the ChromaPlex plus no skimmate for a week probably did it? Again, how fast would you expect my tank normally to accumulate nitrate (ppm per week)?

Thanks. So, the ChromaPlex plus no skimmate for a week probably did it? Again, how fast would you expect my tank normally to accumulate nitrate (ppm per week)?

I have no clue about how fast the nitrate concentration will rise since I don't deal with that aspect of reefkeeping.

Taken from the ChromaPlex website:

Shake well before using! Add 5 to 10 ml (1 to 2 tsp) per 50 gallons aquarium water in an area of high water flow, or by target feeding (recommended). Feed up to 3 times per week depending on animal load. In heavily stocked reef aquariums, the dosage may need to be increased. As with any food, overfeeding can affect water quality.

With the recommended feeding portion you should have only been feeding 2-4ml (less than 1tsp) considering that your tank is lightly stocked with coral it is more like 1ml at each feeding.

Just an observation I got a strong feeding response from both my Kenya tree and zoas when I used ZooPlex and Microvert. I think that the larger particle size of zooplex might be better suited for your reef tank

• Like 1

Stop feeding liquid foods for now, it's not necessary. If you don't have fish don't feed anything until your nitrates are under control.

• Like 2
Fishgirl2393

I just got water to do a water change with (distilled). I am confident that my nitrates are high because I was overfeeding. So, will be changing water tomorrow morning.

Fishgirl2393

If I were to make a reactor, would it be a good idea to run Biopellets (is my skimmer good enough?)? And, how difficult is it to make a reactor? It doesn't SEEM that hard (upflow). So, what do you guys think?

Just keep doing regular water changes of like 20-25%. I've also heard doing too much of a percentage can hurt because you're not letting the system play catch up.

Fishgirl2393

No.

Why? Just curious why you say it is a bad idea.

Just keep doing regular water changes of like 20-25%. I've also heard doing too much of a percentage can hurt because you're not letting the system play catch up.

Thanks. I hate doing big water changes though I've done up to 50% before with no bad effects. However, smaller is always better if you can wait as long as it takes to make a large difference.

I cannot believe I just read this whole thread, but all of the posts helping you out have been spot on from what I can tell.

You are seeing 80ppm nitrate and assuming your test kits are accurate the nitrate is not being exported.

IMO you should

- do 25% WC every other day until you see nitrate going down

- set up a sump

- put in a skimmer that is overrated for your tank

- get some macro for export/algae scrubber

- run carbon or maybe try chemipure elite? idk about this idea

- stop feeding liquid

If none of these work

- sell livestock back to LFS

- drain tank

- throw tank off of bridge

- find a not so tedious hobby

• Like 5
jedimasterben

Why? Just curious why you say it is a bad idea.

It's not a bad idea, but it's really not something you should be looking into. For starters, biopellets take anywhere from six months to a year to be able to process anything reliably. Second, they require maintenance and are very easy to get wrong and strip the water, killing coral. I would stay away from anything like that.

If you are doing water changes, then your nitrate levels would fall to the same percentage change you are doing. If it isn't, then it turns out you probably don't have nitrate and your test kit is wrong.

• Like 1
Fishgirl2393

Thanks. I just wondered. There are a few people in my reef club who have simple tanks (no sump, only a HOB and a skimmer) that are doing fine with 0 nitrates so I know it is possible. I really do think that the main reason the nitrates are high is because of overfeeding plus no skimming for a bit.

You just said you know people who don't skim and have zero nitrates...obviously that's not the issue. Stop feeding your tank if you don't have fish. Liquid food dirties tanks too fast. Listen to what people are telling you to do and see if that helps. You shouldn't have these issues this far in the game..

• Like 1