inTank Media Baskets

My 20-Gallon (Tall) Softie/lps Nano-Reef!

Fishgirl2393

Fishgirl2393

So after getting a chance to really observe my tank for an extended period of time today, I have decided that I absolutely need more flow. I cannot get an MP10 so would it be better to get a Maxi-Jet Pro 400 or another Koralia 425?

,,,not enough flow..?

i have 1 425 on my 20L and its a really good amount. i added a 240 to see if that would help and the fish hated it because they couldent get out of the current.

Glaceon...if she wants to make a tornado let her. She seems adamant about getting her way per usual. She can just add that to her list of things that have gone wrong....

She won't pay for a nice mp10 ... So she wants to add on, per usual.

• Like 5
Fishgirl2393

I'm not SURE that I'm going to have to add more flow. It just seems that no matter where I place my powerhead, I always have dead spots and I don't have a return pump because I have no sump so I don't have as much flow as some people seem to think is needed. Right now, I just have a SMALL amount of help from a 45 GPH powerhead in the area with too little flow and I'll see how that works. The system is still very young and therefore, needs to mature before the "uglies" go away. The water is fine (nitrates, phosphates, alk, pH, calcium, etc) so it's just a young tank going through the typical stages. I've got phosphate media in the HOB because I know that I still might have phosphates (even though tests show I don't) since I have a VERY small amount of stringy cyano (it's going away slowly). The corals all look good and the candycane has a head that's splitting.

So after getting a chance to really observe my tank for an extended period of time today, I have decided that I absolutely need more flow.

I'm not SURE that I'm going to have to add more flow. It just seems that no matter where I place my powerhead, I always have dead spots and I don't have a return pump because I have no sump so I don't have as much flow as some people seem to think is needed.

:huh:

• Like 2
Fishgirl2393

:huh:

You LOVE taking parts of posts and using that but not the whole post. If you don't use the whole post, you don't get the point that I was making which was that I added a powerhead. It may be small but we'll see how it works before I add more. So, if you're going to quote, do it right.

Fishgirl2393

OK. So the tank still looks good. I still have some very minor stringy cyano (not like the other cyano I had at all) on the sand bed. Will it go away on its own or should I do more water changes to lower potential nutrients? The nitrates are OK (not killing stuff or stressing it out) but still too high (25-30ppm). Skimmer is finally dialed in and working well (even though it's only a Lee's Counter Current!). So, what would be my best plan of action? Water change with sand bed vacuum in area that's a problem? Anyone who has had experience with a similar tank size and Koralia powerhead (and I know this varies based on rock design, etc), where is the BEST place to have the powerhead?

Where is the best place for the powerhead? Trial and Error. You have to make sure your corals are getting serviced the best way possible depending on their needs. It's something no one can tell you really, try it here, there & see how they react.

• Like 2

You LOVE taking parts of posts and using that but not the whole post. If you don't use the whole post, you don't get the point that I was making which was that I added a powerhead. It may be small but we'll see how it works before I add more. So, if you're going to quote, do it right.

Okay. Now I've used the whole post.

So after getting a chance to really observe my tank for an extended period of time today, I have decided that I absolutely need more flow. I cannot get an MP10 so would it be better to get a Maxi-Jet Pro 400 or another Koralia 425?

I'm not SURE that I'm going to have to add more flow. It just seems that no matter where I place my powerhead, I always have dead spots and I don't have a return pump because I have no sump so I don't have as much flow as some people seem to think is needed. Right now, I just have a SMALL amount of help from a 45 GPH powerhead in the area with too little flow and I'll see how that works. The system is still very young and therefore, needs to mature before the "uglies" go away. The water is fine (nitrates, phosphates, alk, pH, calcium, etc) so it's just a young tank going through the typical stages. I've got phosphate media in the HOB because I know that I still might have phosphates (even though tests show I don't) since I have a VERY small amount of stringy cyano (it's going away slowly). The corals all look good and the candycane has a head that's splitting.

Fishgirl2393

Flow is a complicated matter. Before I go and get MORE (another powerhead), I'm going to do as suggested here and move the current powerheads around to see if I actually need more flow. I may not need another powerhead, I just may not have the current one in the right place in the tank to get good coverage. We'll see. I've been working on my fish list lately (not that I plan to add any fish until I get the tank more established than it currently is). The fish are as follows (note: I only plan to add about 3 fish total)

1 Royal gramma (I KNOW I want this fish)

1 Firefish or POSSIBLY a six-line wrasse (not sure on the six-line because I know they can be territorial)

Not sure on the other fish. I've thought about a lawnmower blenny, or some sort of cardinalfish but if someone has some good suggestions, let me know. As I said, I'm not going to be adding any fish really soon but just want to get my list kinda planned out. Probably going to do another water change today (large one most likely) to get the nitrates FINALLY low enough. They don't seem to be rising much (if at all) but are staying at the 25-30ppm so I guess denitrification IS starting to occur somewhere in the tank. :)

Fishgirl2393

so a royal gramma and a fire fish, and you see no issue that could happen in a 20H there? o-0

What's the deal? I've heard of them being kept in tanks together before. Is there some issue I've not heard of? The one I've heard don't do is a firefish and a six-line wrasse. So, tell me more! :)

jedimasterben

so a royal gramma and a fire fish, and you see no issue that could happen in a 20H there? o-0

Uh, what is the issue that could happen?

• Like 2

Uh, what is the issue that could happen?

i have herd and seen a lot of cases where dart fish and basslets fight? or more specific fire fish and royal grammas. not all of them but some have been a hit or miss.

What's the deal? I've heard of them being kept in tanks together before. Is there some issue I've not heard of? The one I've heard don't do is a firefish and a six-line wrasse. So, tell me more! :)

whats wrong with a fire fish and six-line? o-0 i had the 2 togeather for 3 months before i traded them off

Fishgirl2393

Well, like I said, it's still early in planning stages so if anyone else wants to chime in with experience, you're more than welcome to do so. I appreciate all advice. I've just heard six-lines can bully more timid fish like firefish but I've never had them both at the same time so I wouldn't konw! :)