Cultivated Reef

My 20-Gallon (Tall) Softie/lps Nano-Reef!

Fishgirl2393

jedimasterben

Assuming that your parameters are in check and your lighting is strong enough - let me ask you this. How large is it? If it is a tiny 1"-2" clam then you shouldn't get it. They need an extensive care regime when they are tiny because they simply do not produce enough food via photosynthesis alone.

They produce far more than enough energy via photosynthesis, but all clams need nitrogen and other elements from the water. They do not need food, nor is there really any other care. Trying to bowl feed, etc will just stress them out and probably kill them.

Fishgirl2393

It's probably 2 1/2 inches. So, is my LIGHTING strong enough? My calcium seems stable at 450-460 and alk and pH are stable (10dKH and 8.1). The nitrates are low now and all. So, lighting is the main concern of mine. What do you think?

jedimasterben

I was under the impression that with small clams, they need to be supplement fed phyto or reef snow.

Nope. Check out James Fatherree's book on clams.

It's probably 2 1/2 inches. So, is my LIGHTING strong enough? My calcium seems stable at 450-460 and alk and pH are stable (10dKH and 8.1). The nitrates are low now and all. So, lighting is the main concern of mine. What do you think?

I'd give one several hundred PAR, and really no less. Squamosa and derasa are the least light-limited, and I'd still give them at least 100 PAR.

Fishgirl2393

I'd give one several hundred PAR, and really no less. Squamosa and derasa are the least light-limited, and I'd still give them at least 100 PAR.

So, I don't have a PAR meter. Is my light capable of that if I place it high up on the rocks?

Fishgirl2393

Well, I have another question. Would it be better (not for a clam but just overall) for my light bulbs to be like this... (back to front)

Back

BLUE

WHITE

BLUE

WHITE

Front

this...

Back

WHITE

BLUE

WHITE

BLUE

Front

this...

Back

BLUE

WHITE

WHITE

BLUE

Front

or this... (the current configuration)

Back

BLUE

BLUE
WHITE

WHITE

Front

you can be 100% sure you wouldent.. yet you dont know what lighting to use?

im not picking on you im just saying its not a good idea,

i have a 3 year established reef and im yet to attempt one..

jedimasterben

So, I don't have a PAR meter. Is my light capable of that if I place it high up on the rocks?

If you have good bulbs and a quality fixture made with good reflectors.

I don't think that's a wise idea. Clams are usually grounded in substrate like sand. And I personally feel you aren't ready to do a clam yet. JMO.

Almost all of the clams available are rock-living species, with only some surviving if they reach the sand (typically squamosa and derasa only, and only if they are very large). Rock is better for all clams because they'll get more light. If they don't like something, they'll detach and try and find their own spot.

Well, I have another question. Would it be better (not for a clam but just overall) for my light bulbs to be like this... (back to front)

Back

BLUE

WHITE

BLUE

WHITE

Front

this...

Back

WHITE

BLUE

WHITE

BLUE

Front

this...

Back

BLUE

WHITE

WHITE

BLUE

Front

or this... (the current configuration)

Back

BLUE

BLUE

WHITE

WHITE

Front

Order doesn't matter. At all. People make all kinds of a big deal about it, but it really doesn't.

• Like 2
Fishgirl2393

I'm not for sure trying one. I just wondered was all. Which lighting setup (listed above) would be best? Also, what's the best placement for powerheads? I can't ever seem to get strong flow on the corals AND enough on the sand bed. So, do I need another powerhead or what?

Holy crap....you ask too many questions at once. Consolidate into one post... Lighting order...doesn't matter. Already hashed that.

We can't tell you if flow is really enough. If you aren't getting good coverage....then obviously you should add another. A hob doesn't do much other than one spot and surface agitation in my experience.

Seachem isn't high end but it also isn't API. Of course you would know the answers to these questions if you spent three minutes using the search bar above....

• Like 2

I have a Koralia 425 and my HOB (Aqua-Tech 5-15 that supposedly pumps 100GPH). So, is more needed?

Just save for an mp10 and put it on one side around 50%-70% reef crest and it creates a wonderful flow. ;)

jedimasterben

Do I need more flow? Is the Seachem nitrate test kit any good?

If you're going to use any test kits, then use these:

Cal/Alk/Mag: Red Sea

Nitrate/Phosphate: Red Sea

And if you want to be fancy, Hanna colorimeters for alkalinity and phosphate.

If you keep spending money on lesser equipment, you will end up spending far more in the process than by buying quality outright. Even if you got a blue box MP10 for $130 in the FS section, you'd be far better off than what you're probably planning for flow.

• Like 1
Fishgirl2393

I know MP10 are good. I just can't see spending that much on a powerhead. I was looking at either a Maxi-Jet or another Koralia. I will certainly look into those test kits. What about Salifert? I have a Salifert calcium test and really like it.

TheKleinReef

I know MP10 are good. I just can't see spending that much on a powerhead. I was looking at either a Maxi-Jet or another Koralia. I will certainly look into those test kits. What about Salifert? I have a Salifert calcium test and really like it.

Salifert is awesome. That's all I use.

• Like 1
Fishgirl2393

Cleaned salt creep off lights before they came on. Looks like two bulbs especially need replacing because they are obviously dimmer than the others. Interestingly enough, it is one 10000K and one actinic that need it the most! Redid my skimmer because after replacing the airstone, it was collecting plain water in the cup. However, I readjusted it and now it's good.