Innovative Marine Aquariums

My 20-Gallon (Tall) Softie/lps Nano-Reef!

Fishgirl2393

You are misunderstanding me. I mean that nitrates at the end of a cycle (ammonia and nitrite 0) is expected and typical. Now, I know very well that it is NOT good. I'm just saying that nitrates are the end product in most tanks. So, if someone can explain how to achieve de-nitrification, I'm interested.

I'm not misunderstanding you, I quoted your post saying high nitrates are normal. Zero 'nitrites' do not mean your cycle is over. It is your comment about "high" nitrates being "normal" that sent off alarm bells about you. again.

Since you won't post up a link where you read that "high" nitrates are "normal" I'm going to have to assume that it doesn't exist and you are misinterpreting what you have read. You have 2 other threads where you have "high" nitrates with algae, cyano, detritus and tanks crashing and tanks that never stop cycling. You spent months trying to correct a high nitrate problem, and here you are saying "high" nitrates are "normal"?

jedimasterben

Denitrification comes from anoxic bacterial activity from deep within the pores of rock and under the surface of the sand. These bacteria do not reproduce quickly, nor do they absorb large amounts of nitrate, so it takes a very long time for the last step of the nitrogen cycle to truly 'complete'. It will come with time, but I would honestly not expect to see it any time soon (6 months to a year, maybe). You can speed up via the addition of something like Dr Tim's Waste Away, which contains several strains of dentrifying bacteria, but again, they will not establish immediately as they only live in areas that are extremely low in (or devoid of) oxygen.

You would be far better off to use an algae scrubber to reduce nitrogen and phosphorus levels, and you will see an increase in overall water quality, as well. Look into that once you have a sump added to the system, or you can DIY a hang on glass type.

• Like 1
Fishgirl2393

The CUC seem to be doing well in the tank. Got some anaerobic bacteria (Waste Away) today and will be adding it by bottle directions to help with de-nitrification. So, tank is doing well. I also am looking into the algal-turf skimmer as a good option.

And I did a water change before adding critters. They're doing great!

Fishgirl2393

Parameters still good. Nitrates going down (water change lowered them to acceptable levels and I'm noticing a decrease from that as well). Will be adding corals probably tomorrow.

Trying to decide if I should add another powerhead to the tank. I'm thinking I'm NOT going to put 2 HOB filters (though I guess I may) and therefore will have 1 Aqua-Tech (5-15) power filter and the Koralia 425. Should I get a Maxi-Jet 400 for more flow or what?

Fishgirl2393

MP10's are pretty expensive. Otherwise, I would go for it but that is out of my price range so it'll have to be a Koralia or a Maxi-Jet (probably the Maxi-Jet). I am using a Lee's Counter Current skimmer and am looking into better skimmers. The main reason I am using a HOB is because I'm going to turn it into a refugium (I currently have floss but if I keep it, it will be replaced at least 2 times a week). I'm trying to limit any areas where nitrate could accumulate because that is an issue that I've dealt with in the past and it is NOT fun.

I would NOT use a filter at all, but I WOULD use a protein skimmer. You SHOULD get an mp10 for flow.

Your tank is beautiful BTW

Fishgirl2393

Corals were added just a bit ago. They are not opened up too much yet but look OK. Pictures will be posted once corals open up.

• 2 weeks later...
Fishgirl2393

So, pics will come as soon as I take some (tank seems to be doing well and corals seem happy). Quick question. This tank has had ONLY RO/DI and distilled water in it. However, I really need to top it off and (if it won't screw stuff up) I am curious about whether it would be OK to use tap water to top off. If not, it'll have to wait till tomorrow. Let me know what you guys think.

Heck no. Are you sure you've been doing this for awhile? Tap has chorines and chloramines and heavy metals and crap. Bad crap... Do NOT use tap. Ever. Even when you think you have awesome tap.

thegambler26

No tap water! Better to wait or go to Walmart and buy distilled water. Tap water just adds to the problems u seem to continue to have.

Just relax and wait..,you cannot rush things in a tank. Can't get good water? It can wait a day 99% of the time... Cycle or recycle? Wait awhile because obviously the first cycle wasn't strong enough.

Fishgirl2393

Oh I know I can't use it regularly. I just wasn't sure about using it for top-off. However, I won't do it because I don't want to screw anything up.

Fishgirl2393

Got the water today (RO/DI) and did a water change (2 gallon) plus topped off. Got my xenia coral and added it. It seems to be doing well. Next on my list is a peppermint shrimp to eat the 2-3 tiny aiptasia.

Fishgirl2393

Just added a few mushrooms (red, blue, and green), some more xenia and some clove polyps. Will post pics really soon! I've been busy with classes so no time to post pics.

Oh I know I can't use it regularly. I just wasn't sure about using it for top-off. However, I won't do it because I don't want to screw anything up.

Back on the topic of tap water again, Jesus it never ends.

Fishgirl2393

Back on the topic of tap water again, Jesus it never ends.

Wrong. I'm not using tap water. Just asked about it because tank really needed topping-off. Didn't use it that time and won't be in the future.

Fishgirl2393

OK, so the tank has had ONLY RO/DI (tested at 0TDS) and distilled (0 TDS) since setup. So, why are my nitrates at 80ppm??? I'm VERY discouraged now because it seems as though SOMETHING is wrong but I can't figure out what. Please help me out because I want to get the nitrates under control so that I don't have algae issues again. And yes, the kit is indeed correct (has been checked against other kits plus checked with RO/DI water to make sure the kit was indeed correct). So, what's the deal? Please help me out. I'm very willing to listen and will (if money permits) take necessary steps to fix the issue(s).

Oh and I started with dry rock if that makes any difference. I added the CUC today because I have diatoms now (a fair amount on the rocks). So, how is de-nitrification achieved in a reef tank?

You don't add a CUC with the presence of diatoms. You add CUC with the presence of GHA. Once they have taken care of the GHA and your tank is squeaky clean, then you can add a fish/piece of coral.

OK, so the tank has had ONLY RO/DI (tested at 0TDS) and distilled (0 TDS) since setup. So, why are my nitrates at 80ppm??? I'm VERY discouraged now because it seems as though SOMETHING is wrong but I can't figure out what. Please help me out because I want to get the nitrates under control so that I don't have algae issues again. And yes, the kit is indeed correct (has been checked against other kits plus checked with RO/DI water to make sure the kit was indeed correct). So, what's the deal? Please help me out. I'm very willing to listen and will (if money permits) take necessary steps to fix the issue(s).

Is it possible you have a dead snail? Or maybe you introduced livestock too soon?

Fishgirl2393

Will water changes fix it? What can I do? I just want this tank to be nice. I went to my local Reef Club on Saturday and everyone was talking about their tanks that have 0 nitrates (some only run a HOB and a skimmer with no sump) and they only do water changes every 3-4 weeks. I'm OK with more frequent water changes but I just don't want another tank with high nitrates. So, help me out here! :)

So, pics will come as soon as I take some (tank seems to be doing well and corals seem happy). Quick question. This tank has had ONLY RO/DI and distilled water in it. However, I really need to top it off and (if it won't screw stuff up) I am curious about whether it would be OK to use tap water to top off. If not, it'll have to wait till tomorrow. Let me know what you guys think.

Oh i missed this post. Did you have a whole thread where you said your tap water (which you were using for top off) has ammonia and that is also causing nitrates? Then you realized you should not be adding tap. And so now we are back to you asking if tap is okay. Yes of course it is. Go ahead. Good luck.

Fishgirl2393

That is NOT helpful. If you're going to post, read the LAST thing I said. I did NOT use tap. I have NEVER used tap since I restarted the tank. So, please help with the issue of high nitrates. I replaced everything and don't have algae issues at all but I know if I don't take care of the nitrates, I will have them soon.