Innovative Marine Aquariums

My 20-Gallon (Tall) Softie/lps Nano-Reef!

Fishgirl2393

Fishgirl2393

But how do I keep said quarantine tank stable? Last time I moved corals to quarantine, the ammonia skyrocketed and I lost a coral. I can't do water changes each day in a quarantine tank.

Use seachem matrix in a hob filter and dose a product like seachem stability or microbacter7. These things will create a bio filter and allow you to house everything for a while. As everybody else said just start over, get the rock from reafcleaners, use new sand, clean the shit out of everything and start over.

• Like 1
Fishgirl2393

OK. Sounds good. I have a couple of rocks that I really like (and they have lots of coralline algae on them)... could I keep those rocks?

Passaggper
OK. Sounds good. I have a couple of rocks that I really like (and they have lots of coralline algae on them)... could I keep those rocks?

Are you seriously considering this? It's not a good idea.

Fishgirl2393

What's not a good idea? The quarantine tank or the rocks? I do NOT plan on putting ALL the rocks back in the tank. There is one in particular (and MAYBE another couple) that really are not too dirty and are fairly new. I need to get some new rock. The cyano (strangely enough) is NOT growing on the rocks right now.

User Deleted 2

Get rid of all your rocks - even the ones you're attached to - and restart your tank. That's the best solution for your problems, if you ask me. I'm restarting mine after a major crash, and it's going much more smoother now than I could imagine. If you restart your tank from scratch, chances are you'll learn from the previous mistakes you made in the past and you'll avoid making them again in the future.

Best of luck!

Use seachem matrix in a hob filter and dose a product like seachem stability or microbacter7. These things will create a bio filter and allow you to house everything for a while. As everybody else said just start over, get the rock from reafcleaners, use new sand, clean the shit out of everything and start over.

This^ , plus prime will help between water changes if needed to detoxify ammonia and such. Don't keep any rock. If you want to seed the tank with coraline, take a razorblade and scrape some of it off for the new tank. Thats all thats needed and it will eventually grow on your new rocks.

Get this! http://www.reefcleaners.org/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_new.tpl&product_id=384&category_id=3&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=58

Fishgirl2393

OK. So, here's my plan (it may not happen for a bit because of college but it WILL happen)...

Move corals/inverts (CUC) to a quarantine tank (probably 10-gallon).

Clean out 20-gallon completely (including tank itself).

Restart tank with 20lbs of Arag-Alive, base rock and a piece or two of live rock.

Wait for tank to cycle (how long do you guys think it will take?)

Put in hermits/snails first, wait, then add corals.

The list of supplies I believe I will need are...

RO/DI water

Salt

Base rock

Live rock

Arag-Alive (I'm thinking about the Fiji Pink but what do you guys think is best?)

Fishgirl2393

The sand has been bought. I got Carib-Sea Arag-Alive Bimini Pink. Can't do anything in the tank yet because the rocks are not here yet.

Fishgirl2393

Correct. I'm talking about live rock from the LFS. The ONLY way I would put rock that has been in my tank back in my tank is if I dried it out and cured it in a bucket of saltwater... Would that be OK to do though? But yes, I have the sand.

Fishgirl2393

Haven't checked Magnesium lately. I don't own a kit but the LFS owner does. I could get him to check it but last time it was fine.

So to be clear, you are not testing phosphates, you have high nitrates, and you have a cyanobacteria problem? I would strongly suggest you test phosphates and figure out what is causing the nitrate problem.

What exactly are you using as a filter now?

Are you using sponges or the like, how often are they being replaced?

Have you tried changing the water you are mixing and topping of with with?

What and how many fish do you have now?

How many hours are you running your lights a day? T5 HO, right? Total watts? Did you replace the bulbs yet?

What and how much nutrients are you adding, i.e. fish food, coral food?

How much flow do you have with/without in-tank powerheads? In other words how many times are you turning your tank over an hour?

Where did you get your live rock?

Always test. It's not safe to write off phosphates because you are using pads or other chems. I would test the water before and after being introduced to your aquarium as well. I don't mean to overwhelm you with questions. I just know these problems get old and I would like to see you overcome them.

Best!

Fishgirl2393

So to be clear, you are not testing phosphates, you have high nitrates, and you have a cyanobacteria problem? I would strongly suggest you test phosphates and figure out what is causing the nitrate problem.

I have tested phosphates (I don't own a kit but the LFS tests via a Hanna Checker and Red Sea Pro) and it always comes back about 0.001 or so. The nitrates are yes, very high. I can do a water change and two days later, the nitrates will be as high as they were before the water change.

What exactly are you using as a filter now?

2 Aqua-Tech 5-15 HOB filters with Purigen (in one), and phosphate removing pads in both. I also have 15lbs live rock and a Koralia 425 PH. Plus a Lee's Counter Current Medium skimmer

Are you using sponges or the like, how often are they being replaced?

Phosphate media is kinda like a sponge and I replace it weekly.

Have you tried changing the water you are mixing and topping of with with?

Yes, I've used distilled from Walmart and other stores and RO/DI from Walmart and LFS.

What and how many fish do you have now?

Currently do not have ANY fish.

How many hours are you running your lights a day? T5 HO, right? Total watts? Did you replace the bulbs yet?

Yes, they are T5HO. The bulbs are new. 8 hours a day.

What and how much nutrients are you adding, i.e. fish food, coral food?

I haven't dosed any coral food or any other nutrients for a while now (probably 1-2 months)

How much flow do you have with/without in-tank powerheads? In other words how many times are you turning your tank over an hour?

I calculated it at 35x turnover or 705GPH.

Where did you get your live rock?

Some was bought as dry rock from LFS. Two rocks were free from another hobbyist multiple years ago (6 maybe). One was bought at an LFS 8+ years ago that went out of business.

Always test. It's not safe to write off phosphates because you are using pads or other chems. I would test the water before and after being introduced to your aquarium as well. I don't mean to overwhelm you with questions. I just know these problems get old and I would like to see you overcome them.

Best!

Thanks for the tips. I hope I've answered your questions and I look forward to hearing your answers. Like I said, I do test... I don't own my own phosphate or magnesium kits but I do own most of the others that are suggested. I think my rocks are just old (most are old) and loaded up with organics. I would like to be able to re-use a couple of them (if possible) but understand that using them wet from the tank is NOT a good idea. So, would it be possible to clean them and re-use them at all?

Fishgirl2393

Would it be safe (and OK) to clean off current live rock (most except the very oldest dirtiest pieces) and re-use it. Here is the "plan" if I DID do this. Let me know if this would work at all.

Scrub rock

Take live rock out and soak in H2O2/water solution for a while (a few hours/1day)

Scrub rock again

Let rock dry in the sun for about a day (in HOT sunny area)

Clean rock AGAIN

Cure in bucket of saltwater

After ammonia and nitrite are 0, place in tank.

Would this work???

Yes go ahead an use all your current rock, should work out just fine.

Would it be safe (and OK) to clean off current live rock (most except the very oldest dirtiest pieces) and re-use it. Here is the "plan" if I DID do this. Let me know if this would work at all.

Scrub rock

Take live rock out and soak in H2O2/water solution for a while (a few hours/1day)

Scrub rock again

Let rock dry in the sun for about a day (in HOT sunny area)

Clean rock AGAIN

Cure in bucket of saltwater

After ammonia and nitrite are 0, place in tank.

Would this work???

Yes absolutely. Yay to using your same old rock again.

Fishgirl2393

OK. I'm serious. I know that some people have cleaned rock before. I am having a hard time finding dry rock locally (LFS is out and won't be able to get any more for 3-4 weeks which is a problem because of the tank issues). I'm looking at other places but I just was curious about whether I would be OK using the rock.

Fishgirl2393

Anyone else have an idea about this? I know it is not ALWAYS a good thing to reuse rock but I've also seen a LOT of people on here doing just that. So, ideas?