inTank Media Baskets

My 20-Gallon (Tall) Softie/lps Nano-Reef!

Fishgirl2393

Jesus. The whole problem with this tank is the old rock leaching and you want to tear the tank down to start over and reuse the rock. I don't get you.

Anyone else have an idea about this? I know it is not ALWAYS a good thing to reuse rock but I've also seen a LOT of people on here doing just that. So, ideas?
The people reusing rock aren't restarting their tank because of their rock.
  • Like 2
Fishgirl2393

OK. I didn't say I was going to use the rock. I said I MIGHT if it would work. I'm having a hard time finding rock (e-mailed all in my local reef club) so that is why I asked. I have new sand and am just waiting on the rocks so I can completely restart the tank. Hopefully, I can find some soon. Will update with pictures of the restart when it happens.

I'm not an expert but the mushrooms could be reacting to the aiptasia or they are just not in a good spot in the tank. I had mushrooms in my tank that did great in certain areas of the tank where the light was perfect and then other areas where the light just didn't hit them right.

How bout this, throw away all your old rock so you aren't tempted to try and use it again. No matter how hard you scrub it or clean it or whatever, I guarantee it will #### you over again. Use all dry rock and dose Dr. Tims one and only bottled bacteria, this way you know for certain it isn't your rocks leaching shit. You don't need to have LR to start a tank.

Links:

http://www.drtimsaquatics.com/saltwater-aquarium-products#one

http://www.aquascapers.com/store/live-rock/416-25lbs-nano-key-largo-base-rock-by-marco-rocks.html

• Like 2

Why don't you just buy 15 lbs of reef-cleaners rock. Its better than any of the shit your LFS has and FREE SHIPPING.

?!?????!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Like 2
Fishgirl2393

I've found someone in my reef club who has dry fiji/Hawaiian base rock (extra) so I'm looking into that. I'm still going to have to get some new rock too but maybe that will jump start me.

I've found someone in my reef club who has dry fiji/Hawaiian base rock (extra) so I'm looking into that. I'm still going to have to get some new rock too but maybe that will jump start me.

So they're giving you THEIR old rock? Perfect.

Fishgirl2393

It's NOT old. It is leftover from when they started their tank. And their tank is beautiful so I doubt they have any issues even if it WAS old rock (which it's not).

User Deleted 2

Usually taking anything from anyone else's tank means you'll be inheriting both the pros and cons of the item taken. If I were you, I'd start my tank over with NEW rock, not old one or anything from anyone else's tank. I understand that you're trying to save as much money here, but cutting corners in this hobby usually will cost you a lot of unpleasantness in the long run. Just my opinion btw.

Fishgirl2393

They only have 7-10lbs so I won't be ONLY using theirs. I will still have to get some more. Just to START though, this should work. I'm going to take a look first to make sure it's CLEAN but after that, should be good.

Fishgirl2393

OK. So, I should have some dry rock by the end of the week (before Friday). The reef club member told me that they ordered too much and it has been sitting in a plastic tub ever since. So, they are giving it to me! So, with that and the sand, I'll start the re-do ASAP. I'll add rock once the LFS gets more in. It's looking like I'm NOT going to reuse the rock I currently have (because of aiptasia, algae, and detritus/crud) and the substrate is absolutely going to be trashed (why I bought new sand). So, this is getting me excited! :)

joel sandoman

I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people, I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and see what happens.

• Like 4

I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people, I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and see what happens.

Lawsuits.... ;)

They only have 7-10lbs so I won't be ONLY using theirs. I will still have to get some more. Just to START though, this should work. I'm going to take a look first to make sure it's CLEAN but after that, should be good.

You cannot see stored phosphates. The point of getting completely new rock is to be 100% sure that nothing is contaminated, organic or otherwise.

Fishgirl2393

It is brand new rock (never been used) that the person bought and didn't have a use for. Therefore, it is clean. It is simply EXTRA that has been sitting in a bucket (dry).

Fishgirl2393

Tank was restarted last night. Right now, the substrate is in the tank and there is NO rock (waiting on the reef club member to drop the rock off). Brand new salt water (distilled). Corals are in 10-gallon quarantine tank with live rock from old tank and established filter.

User Deleted 2

Erm, why are you QTing your old LR when you think it's leaching phosphates? Shouldn't you get rid of the old rock once and for all? O__o"

Fishgirl2393

I'm going to get rid of the rock but the corals are NOT in a "cycled" tank and I figure the bacteria in the rock will help with waste in the temporary tank (to keep it from crashing). I'm not putting it into the restarted tank. I'm getting new rocks for that.

Fishgirl2393

Yep. I didn't add the largest rock (the one that was the oldest) to the temp. coral tank because I think it is the main issue rock-wise. I just figured it would be a good idea to add some live rock so that the tank would be more stable.

Fishgirl2393

OK. So, I have ANOTHER reef club member willing to give me rock. However, I'm not sure if I'm going to take it or not. Here's why...

The rock was used in a 55-gallon reef that was never "right" (had red turf algae) and so it was taken down. There is also some pukani rock that was sold to the LFS as never having been in the ocean, however there were dead sponges on it so that was obviously NOT true and the dead material caused the rock to have cyano growth on it. The owners said the cyano was never bad but still. The rock was taken out of the tank, dried outside, and has been curing in a bucket for 2-3 months. During this time, they've seen NO cyano or other algae. They've been adding small amounts of pellets every so often to feed the cycle and keep the rock alive. So, should I take that rock or not? The other rock I'm getting has never been used in a tank and is clean. This, I'm not sure about. Let me know your thoughts.