inTank Media Baskets

My 20-Gallon (Tall) Softie/lps Nano-Reef!

Fishgirl2393

TheKleinReef

I have noticed that (if I stick my finger in the tank or something), I get a VERY mild shock. Can stray voltage cause bacteria (nitrifiers) to die? What else could cause a tank crash (if that is indeed what is happening).

I missed that part. This happened in my frag tank. Luckily I caught it within the hour and fixed it.

Fishgirl2393

Well, I really am not sure that stray voltage is the problem. But anyway, there is a LOT of detritus (as there has been for a while) in the system. How could I remove it? Remove the sand bed (more like very fine gravel because it is Nature's Ocean Samoa Pink #2)? I can get supplies to do a water change tonight or tomorrow if need be. But anyway, what's the deal. I don't get why the tank won't stabilize. The reason I keep posting is because I keep having the same issue (not the cyano which is an issue too probably caused by whatever the problem is now but I have decided that I'm not going to go to extreme measures to remove it except during water changes when I siphon it out). Please give me some ideas about why this tank is not stabilizing!

Passaggper

Well, I really am not sure that stray voltage is the problem. But anyway, there is a LOT of detritus (as there has been for a while) in the system. How could I remove it? Remove the sand bed (more like very fine gravel because it is Nature's Ocean Samoa Pink #2)? I can get supplies to do a water change tonight or tomorrow if need be. But anyway, what's the deal. I don't get why the tank won't stabilize. The reason I keep posting is because I keep having the same issue (not the cyano which is an issue too probably caused by whatever the problem is now but I have decided that I'm not going to go to extreme measures to remove it except during water changes when I siphon it out). Please give me some ideas about why this tank is not stabilizing!

I think you should start over with dry rock. Also, you really need to get a handle on the small "shock" you get when you put your hand in the tank. Are you using a GFCI?

Fishgirl2393

Yes, I'm using a GFCI. I will get a hold on that ASAP. I'm not sure ALL of the rock is bad (I am fairly confident that one rock is though) because some of it is fairly new. There is one piece however that is for sure in need of replacement. I'm just nervous about removing it because it also happens to be the largest rock in the tank. Will removing it cause more problems (even if it is the source of the problems) or would it be OK to remove it? I also am NOT sure that I have 20lbs of rock so could that be causing the instability too? I understand what you are saying about replacing the rock, it's just that some of it is new. So, do you think removing the big rock (if you look in pictures, it is the large rock that in previous pictures was covered in green furry algae of some sort) would help?

Passaggper

Yes, I'm using a GFCI. I will get a hold on that ASAP. I'm not sure ALL of the rock is bad (I am fairly confident that one rock is though) because some of it is fairly new. There is one piece however that is for sure in need of replacement. I'm just nervous about removing it because it also happens to be the largest rock in the tank. Will removing it cause more problems (even if it is the source of the problems) or would it be OK to remove it? I also am NOT sure that I have 20lbs of rock so could that be causing the instability too? I understand what you are saying about replacing the rock, it's just that some of it is new. So, do you think removing the big rock (if you look in pictures, it is the large rock that in previous pictures was covered in green furry algae of some sort) would help?

I was just suggesting starting completely over with new dry rock. Also, what pictures?

Fishgirl2393

They were on one thread.

http://p56647.ipscdn.com/uploads/monthly_03_2013/post-50769-0-50189600-1363888466_thumb.jpg

Hopefully that link works. But anyway, that is NOT a recent pic but it shows you which rock I'm talking about. It is on the left of the picture.

I know you were suggesting starting over with new rock. I do think that at least one rock needs replacement but I think the substrate is more of an issue.

Fishgirl2393

Do you think the rock could be causing the problems? I'm willing to do a restart if absolutely required but I am not sure how long it would need to cycle before I could add corals, inverts, etc. Please give me some suggestions on this. If I were to start over, I would be getting all new sand (probably "live" bagged sand) AND rock though I might "seed" with a couple of the CLEAN rocks. So, if I were to do this, approx how long would it take before I could add everything back (I know it is different for every tank)?

Fishgirl2393

Anyone have any suggestions? Is the rock (plus the substrate) the likely cause of problems? If I decided to remove said problems, how long would it take the tank to stabilize? Could I remove the sand bed during a water change and then (after leaving things alone for a few days) add new sand to the tank (bagged live sand) with the corals, etc still in? How "instant cycle" are the packaged sands really??? Any other help is appreciated.

Fishgirl2393

Nitrites still high (didn't check ammonia but it probably is too). The other parameters are not right either. So, anyone have any suggestions? Is the rock (plus the substrate) the likely cause of problems? If I decided to remove said problems, how long would it take the tank to stabilize? Could I remove the sand bed during a water change and then (after leaving things alone for a few days) add new sand to the tank (bagged live sand OR Nature's Ocean Marine White Sand) with the corals, etc still in? How "instant cycle" are the packaged sands really??? Any other help is appreciated.

Fishgirl2393

So, I really need some advice here. What should I do in regards to fixing the tank? based on pictures, would replacing that one rock help anything? Could I blast the rest of the live rock with flow while it is in a bucket and clean it that way? And based on pictures, do I need more live rock in my tank (I do not know how many pounds I have)? I'm ready to get this tank fixed.

Passaggper

So, I really need some advice here. What should I do in regards to fixing the tank? based on pictures, would replacing that one rock help anything? Could I blast the rest of the live rock with flow while it is in a bucket and clean it that way? And based on pictures, do I need more live rock in my tank (I do not know how many pounds I have)? I'm ready to get this tank fixed.

Don't take out a single rock. There is no evidence that a single rock is the cause of your problems. Order, or buy, some dry rock and just start over.

PiscesFish

I may not be able to help much cause Im just now getting back into the hobby, but you should raise your ph. I use buffer to keep mine stable and it works. Been using it ever since i started. With the green hair algae, i have read that you could try taking the rocks out and boil them to kill off the algae. If its on your sand then you could try using a net and taking it out and let it soak in freshwater. You could also try to manually pluck it but its a pain in the ass. The cyano thing, make sure there are no dead spots and syphon them out. But you could always start over with dry rock. If you use live, you could get unwanted pests in your tank. To the fish picking, its like a gamble with how aggressive they are. With the mandarin, dont get because they could be high maintenence with keeping up on their food. I read a thread where this guy got a mandarin in his 29 gallon tank and he spends about $600 trying to keep it healthy. Thats all i got.

jedimasterben

but you should raise your ph. I use buffer to keep mine stable and it works. Been using it ever since i started.

Bad idea. Never, ever, ever use buffer to raise pH unless you also need to add to your alkalinity level - if your alkalinity is fine, buffer is a temporary solution and will only create issues.

With the green hair algae, i have read that you could try taking the rocks out and boil them to kill off the algae.

This is the worst possible advice EVER. NEVER BOIL ROCKS, IT CAN KILL YOU.

With the mandarin, dont get because they could be high maintenence with keeping up on their food. I read a thread where this guy got a mandarin in his 29 gallon tank and he spends about $600 trying to keep it healthy. Thats all i got.

You've really been out of it for a while, eh?

• Like 2
PiscesFish

Bad idea. Never, ever, ever use buffer to raise pH unless you also need to add to your alkalinity level - if your alkalinity is fine, buffer is a temporary solution and will only create issues.

This is the worst possible advice EVER. NEVER BOIL ROCKS, IT CAN KILL YOU.

You've really been out of it for a while, eh?

The buffer that i use makes sure that it stays around 8.3 but im not sure if thats all of them. I started my tank in 2008, but i had a flatworm problem and it discouraged me for a while. I neever boiled the rocks but i just heard of people doing it and it worked for them.

Fishgirl2393

Hahaha. No, we're not. And I'm not trolling. The tank is really discouraging. I know something needs to be done. Just don't know what. I'm looking into the filtration and will probably remove the rock that I THINK is the main issue from the tank and try to "flush" it in a bucket of water for a few days. We'll see. If it doesn't work, I'll try something else. I'm at a loss. Based on my system setup, what am I doing wrong? I just don't understand why nothing is working. :(

Nobody and I mean nobody can have ammonia and nitrates and nitrates that just never end. It is impossible without adding more ammonia which then converts due to the nitrogen cycle. My honest opinion is that either somebody or some cat is peeing in your tank or that you have something like a hitch hiker bi-valve or animal dead and decaying inside the rocks.

Given the many tens of posts you have done on how to save this tank and received equal if not MORE responses to start over with dry rock, continuing on this path is painful to watch. I feel sorry for you.

Nano sapiens

I just don't understand why nothing is working. :(

Quite frankly, the problem is not with the system per se, but with your insistence in 'I'll try this and see if it works...if not I'll try something else". There is a very good reason why people follow certain guidelines in setting up and maintaining a tank, namely because countless aquarists over many decades have determined what will and what won't work.

Knowing your personality type, try everything you want/think will work FIRST, then come back and review the beginners articles and advice given in these threads to see what to really do to fix this system.

Good luck.

Fishgirl2393

Well, I am pretty busy for the next few days so I'll try to do something but I may be pretty limited as to what I can do in the next few days. Corals look OK. Tank, not so much (lots of red slime).

Fishgirl2393

Well, the LFS is out of dry rock right now. They do have bagged live sand but I figure since I'm going to need to do something all at the same time, I'll wait till I can get some more dry rock. So, here's my list of things to get.

Live sand (20lbs unless that MUCH is not needed)

Dry rock

Well, the LFS is out of dry rock right now. They do have bagged live sand but I figure since I'm going to need to do something all at the same time, I'll wait till I can get some more dry rock. So, here's my list of things to get.

Live sand (20lbs unless that MUCH is not needed)

Dry rock

Get dry rock from reef-cleaners. It is free shipping and cheap, wonderful porous rock and reliable, you will 100% know you're getting quality rock and not need to question your rock from then on.

I would re-cycle the tank with new sand, scrub the tank/equipment with vinegar, ect. Starting over is definitely the best idea imo.

Goodluck!

• Like 1