SaltCritters.com

My 20-Gallon (Tall) Softie/lps Nano-Reef!

Fishgirl2393

Fishgirl2393

I immediately had second thoughts about it too (and the owner completely understood). She has beautiful tanks (2 others) but said that this one (her first) was never right and had problems from the start. I'm probably not going to go with it because it is too big of a risk. The other rock (as I've been saying) is brand new never been used. So, I'm happy about it but will probably NOT take the other. Tank is cycling quickly BTW. Checked ammonia and nitrite yesterday and ammonia was about 0.75-1ppm, nitrite still was 0 but I am about to check it today so we'll see. The sand looks good. Tank cleared up REALLY fast (never was very cloudy at all though). Only things in the tank currently are 1 Aqua-Tech 5-15 (running floss), a heater, and the Koralia powerhead. I'll be adding the skimmer once the tank is cycled. I have a question about the skimmer though. It is a Lee's Counter Current and I'm wondering if I could put the output of a powerhead I have (only 45GPH) in one inlet on the skimmer. Would that make it more efficient? Corals in quarantine tank look good.

Fishgirl2393

So, I have rock now. Since it was sitting in a tub (it was completely dry and clean but still) I decided to soak it for a while just to be safe. It is very pretty (to me). So, what about the skimmer? Could I use a pump in my Lee's Counter Current skimmer to make it more efficient? Would that work or not?

Fishgirl2393

Reef tank ammonia is very high (6-8ppm) and the nitrites are high too (2-3ppm). I used Arag-Alive. Is this normal? Corals are in temporary tank and I've been having to do water changes on it too because the ammonia spiked but it's under control now. So, what can I do to speed this process up? Help!

You have high ammonia because there are some organics left of the rock you started with, its going to take a while for the tank to cycle so give it time.

Fishgirl2393

No rock in yet. Haven't put it in because aquascaping takes time. However, I'm putting it in today. I'm in no rush for the tank to be cycled other than that I don't want the corals to get too stressed by the temporary tank.

Fishgirl2393

OK. I'd just heard so many people saying that Arag-Alive doesn't cause a cycle that I was a little bit concerned. Glad to know it's normal.

Well the Arag alive is full of bacteria and stuff that make it "live", dieoff would lead to ammonia but that's all part of a good ol fashion cycle.

• Like 1

IMO, if you want good rock for a nice price, order mostly base rock from sealifeinc.net and a few pounds of live rock to seed the rest of the tank.

Fishgirl2393

Tank is now aqua-scaped. Pics will follow tonight. The rocks are a mix of base rock (white) and base rock (Hawaiian/Fiji) which is darker so it looks a little weird in spots but I figure it will fill out and become all coralline covered anyway.

it will fill in and all look the same eventually. We used some live rock (maybe 5/6 pounds) and 30+ pounds of base rock in our 41gallon tank and it all looks the same now.

Fishgirl2393

You need upgrade stronger light girl

They're pretty strong. May not look it in the pics (stupid camera for trying to "dim" the lights) but they are. They are Odyssea T5HO 24" 4x24 watt (96 watt total). 2 actinic blue and 2 10,000K. Why would you say I need to get better lights? How about the aqua-scape?

Scape doesn't look bad but I think you could tweak it a bit more to make it look better. Maybe try spreading them out more so they aren't just a stack of rocks.

They're pretty strong. May not look it in the pics (stupid camera for trying to "dim" the lights) but they are. They are Odyssea T5HO 24" 4x24 watt (96 watt total). 2 actinic blue and 2 10,000K. Why would you say I need to get better lights? How about the aqua-scape?
maybe your picture it look low light through , your aqua scape look good , but I like two islands or less rock :)
Fishgirl2393

I'm thinking about tweaking the 'scape a bit. I really like the fact that the white rocks have lots of holes and that will be PERFECT to put frag plugs in! Hoping the tank finishes cycling soon (though if it doesn't, I'll obviously wait till it does cycle). I added the skimmer back right after taking the pictures BTW. Still trying to decide on filtration. The OLD setup was 2 Aqua-Tech 5-15 power filters and 1 Top-Fin 80GPH power filter, the skimmer, and the Koralia powerhead. What would work BEST (besides a sump which I'm HOPEFUL I can add but not positive)?

Fishgirl2393

Still trying to decide on filtration. The OLD setup was 2 Aqua-tech 5-15 power filters and 1 Top-Fin 80GPH power filter, the skimmer, and the Koralia powerhead. What would work BEST (besides a sump which I'm HOPEFUL I can add but not positive)?

Not bad at all Fishgirl. I actually think the scape is pretty darn good. You may want to try to add some negative space.

Also, some of the best tanks I've seen on here have a sort of valley running through the middle of the scape. Sometimes on an angle. Great way to show depth. Try cleaning the outside glass. Will look all that much better. :)

You can tweak it forever . . . but if you're happy with it, good for you! W-

• Like 1

Thanks! What about the filters? Do you have any suggestions?

I'm not that up on HOB filters. If you can go sump, I would.

And, my 2 cents, but I'd avoid sticking coral on plugs all over that scape.

Unless they fit all the way in the holes.

Will just take away from the look, IMO. W-

Fishgirl2393

I don't have a LOT of corals on plugs so that shouldn't be an issue. There is one hole that will fit a frag (my candycane frag is what I'm planning on) and it is in a great spot for it anyway! I'm seriously looking into a sump!

You don't need stronger lights. T5s are great...sometimes they just photographs wierd. Also, I like the aquascape, but I'd make it look more like a peninsula scape if I were you. Move the rock on the left over the the right and make the right tall and let it slope down. That way you have a nice area for your lower light requirement corals.

• Like 1

I'm thinking about tweaking the 'scape a bit. I really like the fact that the white rocks have lots of holes and that will be PERFECT to put frag plugs in! Hoping the tank finishes cycling soon (though if it doesn't, I'll obviously wait till it does cycle). I added the skimmer back right after taking the pictures BTW. Still trying to decide on filtration. The OLD setup was 2 Aqua-Tech 5-15 power filters and 1 Top-Fin 80GPH power filter, the skimmer, and the Koralia powerhead. What would work BEST (besides a sump which I'm HOPEFUL I can add but not positive)?

This filtration sounds sufficient imo. I'm with you though, I want a sump really badly for my 41 gallon. I run a Fluval 205 canister filter with just filter floss and charcoal and then I have a Reef Octopus BH1000 HOB skimmer. That's it for my tank...and then I just have 2 powerheads.